Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual Ignition Heads
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:

BUT the majority of who I cater to wants nothing to do with any system that requires computer interface..

I'm one of these people, but simplicity has nothing to do with it. I like my cars like my watches; mechanical pieces d'art. There's something of a romance to it.

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake: you're right. I'll never understand people that want all kinds of performance, but who also have no interest in modern technology, or what that technology means to their vehicle. When I was 8, something about how the VCR recorded moving pictures drove me nuts, and I just HAD to figure out how it worked. What did I do? What any curious 8 year old would do- I disassembled it! Only after tearing it apart and putting it back together did I understand all of it's intricacies, but I didn't need to do that to understand that it's leaps and bounds better than an old 8mm projector...
Same goes for engines, and engine management. Why don't people just use the Glenn Doctrine? Drive the old skool VW when you get that 'missing the 60's feeling', but then revert to driving the Honduh for reliable DD duty? People that use VW's for DD duty but use the 'I don't like computers' argument are fooling themselves. DD VW's and carbs should be a oxymoron.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyoone who wants a fast car or something unique wants to build it themselves... Historically the VW has been a prime vehicle for DIY sorts of people, but there are exceptions that are evolving with the times and ages of the VW following.

Carburetors also have their place and their own following. I'd rather provide a carb savvy Enthusiast with a pair of well prepped Carbs as try to make them conform to an EFI system with its vast differences. The same goes for someone who has no idea about carbs but has experience with EFI..

I've gone 60,000 miles with a pair of carbs, never synched them and never had them apart for even a dirty idle jet, but I also appreciate EFI.

Thats why I create the engine for the DRIVER and the application- there are no rules except satisfaction and simplicity.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake,

Have you, (i'm sure you have) or can you, do a run and then post up some dyno results from a dual plug application with only one set of plugs firing, and then both? I'd love to see the results!
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any engine that takes the most advantage of the twin plug arrangement will be absolutely twin plug dependant, not able to sustain life on pump gas with only a single plug.

Thats why this comparison can't be done on the same fuel.. every engine I build thats twin plugged is dependant fully on both plugs.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone thought of using a compufire ignition system with a two plugs per cylinder head and using four coil packs, one for each plug. Question is can the compu-fire be made to fire four individual coilpacks. I have never used a compufire system so I'm trying to get info. Thanks.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it's possible, but the pertinent question is whether or not the ignitor section can sink the current of twice the normal amount of coil packs. Double the coils means half the coil primary resistance, which means the current through the ignitor will roughly be doubled. It would probably be a good idea to drive the coils with individual ignitors to take the load off of the Compufire parts. That, or find a coil pack that has twice the resistance of what the Compufire normally drives and parallel them, or even dropping resistors.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The company I coupled with to make the latest arrangement was computronix... The same designers of the compufire DIS set up..

The standard compufire will not handle the load of twin coil packs.. I tried that in 2001.. It would run but the units failed almost at start up.

Computronix worked for a year to enhance the module to allow the higher loads.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured as much, Ohm's law still applies. Cool

It's not hard to build coil drivers, but I think it's probably over most people's head. I just as soon use an off the shelf solution, you guys already know what that is.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you miniman 82 and Jake for the info
tncsparky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:
I figured as much, Ohm's law still applies. Cool

It's not hard to build coil drivers, but I think it's probably over most people's head. I just as soon use an off the shelf solution, you guys already know what that is.

yea we are still waiting for the walk thru Smile
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tncsparky wrote:
yea we are still waiting for the walk thru Smile

I know, I'm almost done. I have to organize the pictures and post it up, the writeup is complete. You'll see the sticky when it gets posted.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know who can drill for the second plugs? I called http://www.greatplainsas.com/sccylheads.html but their jig is fixed for the stock valve size and my heads are 48 x 37.5 so their jig won't locate the plugs accordingly. Thanks
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones 53 wrote:
Does anyone know who can drill for the second plugs? I called http://www.greatplainsas.com/sccylheads.html but their jig is fixed for the stock valve size and my heads are 48 x 37.5 so their jig won't locate the plugs accordingly. Thanks

Bugpatch does http://bugpatch.com/ "Look under Machine Work Pricing" and scroll down to the Head work section. I have no idea how they determine plug placement or how much experience with running dual plug heads they have.
Hope this helps. Al
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the largest sized valved head anyone has done with the dual plug head? What is the optmum placement for the plugs in relation to valve placement?
1946vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: dual plug Reply with quote

BAE heads have two pulgs and 2.500 intake and 2.000 exhaust or bigger
1946vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: twin plug Reply with quote

4 cam head
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those type one vw heads or some other? They look like some CNC'd aftermarket heads, very nice.
1946vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: heads Reply with quote

CNC type1, I have put two plugs in 44 x 37 type 1 heads also. Brian
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Bug Patch is gone. I guess a guy could use Great Planes to do it for $250 a pair.

Could a guy just machine his own heads at home or a local shop?
It seems there's nothing more to it than clearing out some fins, drilling, tapping, and perhaps clearing out some combustion chamber material, other than getting correct measurments and presice machining.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: