Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odd (late) Ribbed Semaphores
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Just picked up another one of these out of northern Europe. Got it in the mail today and didn't realize until I opened the package that it was the "long arm", single screw kind. The lens has one crack on one side, but otherwise is very nice.

The date code is "HB" or Aug '50. Again, substantiates the documentation and theory that these were the first non-handed SWF ribbed sem designs.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought another one of these sems, date coded "CC", so they were used at least until March '51.

Another interesting note, the vertical slot on the body is also found on the earlier '46-'49 Left-Right style of SWF sems.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rlegg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd (late) Ribbed Semaphores Reply with quote

Hi John
I have the same on my 11G. I assume they are original to the car because of the faiding. Some other parts of the car were painted in the 60s and have faided differently. My car is mid '51. I will look for the date stamp on the arms.
I need one cover, one bulb holder and 2 lenses if anyone can help.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd (late) Ribbed Semaphores Reply with quote

I have a few arms just because and probably bulbholders but you are out of luck for lenses. They simply don't exist. I have on pair of those sems with perfect lenses, but have never seen another pair since. I probably have a few pieces of that type of lens. I asked Ricardo in Argentina about making them as he had an injection mold of the more common SWF ribbed lens made, and I said just make the same lens without the sliding door opening, but unless he runs several hundred, it is not worth doing. And the demand for these lenses is just not there.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd (late) Ribbed Semaphores Reply with quote

OK im new to the game here . been is storage , bought these maybe 30 years ago not really knowing what i have ......... i got em for a 51 bug ..........looking to ID just what model or models i have here . show you what i think my problems are and just plain looking for advice ...... im a do it yourself-er but trust me i was nervous just taking the lens cover off of these . then i see two kinda amateur home made bulb holders that fit too tight between the lenses , maybe i can narrow em down enough to work if a better option isnt available for me ........ long nose ? short nose ? just what do i have here ? the other thing i see is what looks like a cut wire ? not exactly sure where there supposed to go , do i need professional help ???

i think SWF Ribbed but there is more to it ? has the same part number as in the post before this but not the same lens , so im at a loss LOL

one is clearly vw and swf stamped the other i see no stamping ???

i think i see the date codes on the hinge part and tried to photograph em . maybe a D8 and IE or 1E hard to read these .

in one of the pics are a couple bulb holder but seem to match up to these so just trying to ID those ? thanks Steve

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd (late) Ribbed Semaphores Reply with quote

upon a closer inspection with em semi dissembled i see this short cut wire , that is disappointing , my soldering skills are only SO SO Smile why would some BOZO do that !!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd (late) Ribbed Semaphores Reply with quote

ok so i have no clue what im doing here but it looks like i need to solder 2 new wires to the little brass piece in these lenses ? SO do they come out some how ? i dont want to JACK em up trying without some advice ....at the very least i know i need new wires attached here and the other end .

my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Odd (late) Ribbed Semaphores Reply with quote

i just talked to Matt Ross on the phone Smile he helped me figure out how to remove the lens bulb holders as they need new longer wires soldered in place ..... baby steps Smile

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd (late) Ribbed Semaphores Reply with quote

Those look like a pair of poorly restored SWF Ribbed sems. I have been restoring those for 20+ years. I have the correct white, cloth covered wire if you want to replace it yourself. The arms/bulbholders in you first and last pic do not go with those sems. Your inner bulbholders look to be cut from some galvanized steel (homemade), original ones were brass. I have those also.

Date codes are on the pivot arms, I can see one in one of your pics. I have seen a few bodies over the years like yours with no logo or part number stampings.

I also have the correct lens rubber bumpers.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd (late) Ribbed Semaphores Reply with quote

Q: whatsa "clacker"?

following along; thanks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd (late) Ribbed Semaphores Reply with quote

s.e.charles wrote:
Q: whatsa "clacker"?

following along; thanks

Clackers are semaphores used by emergency VW vehicles, Ambulances, Fire trucks etc. Instead of just swinging out and staying out like most sems, clackers sing up and down with the light on as long as they are on. They go from fully closed to fully upright repeatedly. They pull a lot of power, 10+ amps vs. the 6 of a regular sem. I have restored a few sets, have a set myself. While they are interesting, and even funny, there doesn't seem to be much of a market for them.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Odd (late) Ribbed Semaphores Reply with quote

thank you.

always wondered how the rain stays out of the door post cavity when a penetration like the semaphore is made. even with some type of rubber gasket, it must only be good for so long before failing.

i understand weep holes, but until the water gets out, it's doing the damage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: