Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Queenland, Australia 2006
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruszt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Queenland, Australia 2006 Reply with quote

Hello. Although I have browsed Samba.com for many many years this is my first post so hello everyone.

I can now finally afford to buy and restore a 50's VW, probably an oval or a split van/camper but it seems that the source of good vehicles has all but dried up for us in the UK. I'm going to California in the summer so hopefully will get myself sorted. BUT I lived in Australia in 2005/6 and while there I was looking for a VW to bring back to the UK. I happened across a small-ad for a signwritten van not far from Brisbane (AU$ 1500 at 2.5 to the £ exchange rate!) and so arranged to go and have a look. I was not prepared for what I saw: acres of bugs and vans of all years just sitting there in the jungle: ovals, splits, barn doors etc etc. Turns out the guy was an ex-VW mechanic from Germany. Unfortunately I can't remember his name or where it was (somewhere near Montville). He had 2x 23 window sambas in a shed he and his son were restoring. I didn't buy the van as it needed a bit of welding (kicking myself now obviously as I am now an expert welder!).

Anyway, if anyone has any more info on this very nice and interesting guy and what happened to him I would love to know because at current prices I am sure he could be a millionaire by now !

Also, if anyone has any info on sources of mostly solid split vans I would be interested to hear (circa $8k).
Ian 68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I know both the Father and son very well, I'm actually really good mates with his Son.

They are both really well and both Sambas have been restored and are still in the family and get used very very regular.

I will pass on details of this thread and I'm sure they will be in touch soon.

Best

Ian
ruszt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian, wow that's great to hear. Their story would make an interesting piece if someone were to interview them, although I would find it hard to believe that they haven't been approached already. Also, I'm sure they've had a few offers for the sambas Smile
cheers
ruszt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: