Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12 volt accessory outlets - Where are yours?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luVWagn wrote:
For those drilling into dashes or cabinetry, is there a certain type of tool you're using - hole saw on a drill? I'd like to put one in my dash while I have it out, but without making a total hack of it...

Hole saw, tape on the laminate, relatively slow (not too slow) and firm to avoid spin-off. I double tape just in case. Try first on a piece of wood.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Cabinets I use Forstner bits.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K58 wrote:
Hey,
I need help
Why do the generic USB chargers die when I plug them into my 12v socket in the Westy dash?
They work fine off a 12v power supply/jumper but the 12v dash outlet kills them.

It's wired backwards.

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Winston's Auxiliary Power Jack Reply with quote

Ok thanks, easy enough. I thought you may have been splicing into the kitchen light or tail lights or something, to make it easier. I can run wires behind my sink (my auxiliary battery is behind the driver's seat). I want to add that Battery Tender someone suggested at the same time.
Timwhy wrote:
tam_shops wrote:
Where are you getting the wires/power from to hook all these up?

I like them all, but wouldn't mind one by that vent, beside the fridge and/or the closet. Think it'd be easiest to get power off the auxiliary battery and go behind the stove?

Plus, of course that ashtray one, love that it's hidden! But, there isn't any power that I can think of over there. Through the back bench perhaps?

tam

Tam, you have to run all these new wires to the point where the plug will be. For me my Aux Fuse Panel is
under the sink and that's where wires start from.

This is something I should be able to do myself. I added a plug in my bathroom once, piggy backed off the one on the opposite wall. The very nice man at Home Depot sold me what I needed and drew me a picture to follow.

What is the safest/easiest most direct route for the wires from behind the sink to that ash tray. I have a *thing* about putting holes in things that can't be replaced (um so like most of the Vanagon! LOL), but since there is no use for that ashtray anyway and I'd only see it when I was enjoying it, I could enjoy it, thank you very much!

So, wires behind the sink/stove, under that metal grate (below the window), under that grate for the fridge (a usb cable might fit through that grate so no holes?)--but if I want two, then I have to have TWO sets of wires, right? into that cupboard beside the fridge. A hole will be needed from that (or the cupboard below) to get the wires into the bench. Are the wires best on the floor under the bench? Some sort of clip to hold them against the wall/floor so they can't get pulled out by mistake. Then, up the passenger's side wall into the ash tray. From the floor up, or is there an easier way? Certainly can't do what I did w/ my walls (cut huge hole to attach wires and then dry wall over top when done). And, I suspect I'll have to do the opposite, from the ash tray down and/or drop something down and pull it back up.

Did I miss anything? Over simplify? And, if one day I think I may want a 3rd outlet, may as well run one more set of wires into that bench, b/c I wouldn't want to do *that* again. LOL

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tape it. Then use an Awl (and hammer) to start the hole exactly where I want it. I also use a special laminate bit, but not the Forstner one Tim suggested. I've never seen one of those.
madspaniard wrote:
luVWagn wrote:
For those drilling into dashes or cabinetry, is there a certain type of tool you're using - hole saw on a drill? I'd like to put one in my dash while I have it out, but without making a total hack of it...

Hole saw, tape on the laminate, relatively slow (not too slow) and firm to avoid spin-off. I double tape just in case. Try first on a piece of wood.

Timwhy wrote:
For the Cabinets I use Forstner bits.

Huh, I plug my phone in there w/ one of those Dollar Store Cigarette to USB converters all the time. Never noticed a problem. What exactly does it *do* wrong or damage? I don't want a broken phone...And, while you can get cheap Dollar Store cords now, I paid $10 for that one. LOL Oh, now (not before) I have a new outlet on my dash, so if it was a problem (and I got lucky), it may now be fixed, as I'd hope if it were backwards, the new one was replaced properly. Though, not sure how having it backwards could cause a problem, the inside is round and you can turn it in any direction and it still works...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

eeebee wrote:
K58 wrote:
Hey,
I need help
Why do the generic USB chargers die when I plug them into my 12v socket in the Westy dash?
They work fine off a 12v power supply/jumper but the 12v dash outlet kills them.

It's wired backwards.

tam

Making it special:
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeebee wrote:
K58 wrote:
Hey,
I need help

It's wired backwards.

That would make sense but if it were wired wrong would that effect other accesories?
I'm able to use a map light and 12v fan on that plug without issue.
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K58 wrote:
eeebee wrote:
K58 wrote:
Hey,
I need help

It's wired backwards.

That would make sense but if it were wired wrong would that effect other accesories?
I'm able to use a map light and 12v fan on that plug without issue.

The maplight and fan are probably bi-polar, but a USB plug will need to convert from 12v to 5v, and polarity will matter.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your ideas are always better, fancier and cooler than mine. This is still on my figure it out this summer list. It will be the perfect place for a fan in Oliver BC.
McVanagon wrote:

In the meantime I have this:

After it was there, I realized that putting it above the seat belt would have been smarter b/c the garbage can usually sits against that section of the wall. But, it'll reach to the front seat if I want to charge my phone and GPS. It will also reach the back bench for my new heating blanket!

How did you get from this cabinet into the back bench? Is there a hole, or did you drill a hole? And, what kind of wire do I need?
Timwhy wrote:

Spring is almost here and summer is coming!

tam

Making it special:
WasteLander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt accessory outlets - Where are yours? Reply with quote

I recently installed a 12v outlet in the back of the wall panel armrests on either side of the rear bench in my '91 MV. Was pretty involved (had to pull the bench and panels to gain access and run wire) but well worth it.

chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt accessory outlets - Where are yours? Reply with quote

Thanks for bring up this thread. These are mine.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=649240

by the main table left of the Westfalia kitchenette cabinet

this is one I made circa 20+ years ago by the sliding door that allow recharging to either batter banks with a miniature generator

it is now modified to add a double duty as a light fixture to illuminate the pantry and sliding door courtesy light

http://eat-drink-men-women.blogspot.com/2016/03/in-good-shape-isolde-part-5.html

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt accessory outlets - Where are yours? Reply with quote

I need to get matching screws

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt accessory outlets - Where are yours? Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
I need to get matching screws

[pic]

Alistair

Only if you didn't mention no one would have noticed. Though for me the obvious is missing the Westfalia's signature plastic screw caps. Sad -0.5 point. Shocked

Kudos on working around the constraint of the need for the vent of the Dometic fridge. The custom vent cover didn't escape my attention. +4.5 points. Very Happy

I would also add +0.5 point for thermal design, in which you opted to put the ports below the table. Can't argue with form follows function in this important consideration.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt accessory outlets - Where are yours? Reply with quote

Yeah I did think of the warm air outlet dynamics when I placed the outlets at the bottom. But really it was more that I thought the usb cord would be less of a nuisance down low.

I'm short on the special screws that hold the plastic caps.

On the stock grill I used to have a switch and a muffin fan on the back side. Thought that would help heat venting but it was just a noise maker really

Alistair
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 12 volt accessory outlets - Where are yours? Reply with quote

The addition of a metal tight mesh screen behind the grill would be a nice touch.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt accessory outlets - Where are yours? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist,

I have some fine mesh stainless screen, but I thought it would impede ventilation too much. But I agree the grill I made does look a bit open.

I used a 3/8" ball end cutter to make the slots. Chose that to make the plunge cut easier and also to get the darn thing done quicker, less slots.

But then again you don't really see it dead on so I'm leaving it as is.

You know how it is, you try something, you find out all the ways you can do it wrong Smile

Alistair
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt accessory outlets - Where are yours? Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
Zeitgeist,

I have some fine mesh stainless screen, but I thought it would impede ventilation too much. But I agree the grill I made does look a bit open.

You know how it is, you try something, you find out all the ways you can do it wrong Smile

Alistair

I am intrigued as how you made your custom grill? Are you a machinist? I want a machinist friend. Embarassed

ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt accessory outlets - Where are yours? Reply with quote

If I was smart I would have drawn up a design and given it to my cnc router friend, or the local water jet guy.

But I'm not smart, I just went at it on the old manual milling machine. And it's a little bit of a pain to do it on thin stock.

I can't in all honesty call myself a machinist. I try, but you know...

Alistair
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt accessory outlets - Where are yours? Reply with quote

I love water jet. Prob is the most powerful one I have is in the kitchen sink.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt accessory outlets - Where are yours? Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
Zeitgeist,

I used a 3/8" ball end cutter to make the slots. Chose that to make the plunge cut easier and also to get the darn thing done quicker, less slots.

Alistair

Hopefully that wasn't taken as criticism. I'm a big fan of your many projects. Keep them coming.

I've been meaning to invest in efforts to turn my drillpress into a low cost mill for light duty work.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Noblecr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt accessory outlets - Where are yours? Reply with quote

Converted the city water hook up. Other is my solar hook up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: