Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wing Window Bentley Section 57 from '88 onwards?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Wing Window Bentley Section 57 from '88 onwards? Reply with quote

Looking to sort out this wing window whistle (say that three times, fast) and my Bentley (up to 87) doesn't have any mention of wing windows that open, it just shows fixed quarter windows.

I have seen an exploded view of the window on here but I don't think it was complete. Does anyone have a Bentley that shows the pivot mechanism? I could take apart the passenger side and look at it but that doesn't seem to be the easiest/safest way. I know the pivot is loose and that prevents the window from closing properly (the rear edge hits the frame) and because of that, it doesn't latch and I get the maddening whistle. I just closed it from the outside and next time I drive it I'll see if that makes any difference. At least I can confirm/deny that alignment helps.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bentley Section 57 from 88 onwards? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bentley Section 57 from 88 onwards? Reply with quote

As the illustration shows, it's a pretty simple assembly.

Newer Vans have a built in stop so that you cannot fully swing them open, why? Who knows?
You can easily disable the stop though.

Here is a thread on adjusting the operating tension.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=649081

A whistle is most likely old dried rubber.
Order new rubber or pack some strips into the seal to bolster it up helping it seal better.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wing Window Bentley Section 57 from 88 onwards? Reply with quote

The rubber is new as of last summer. The inner workings (that pivot specifically) are the problem. It's not connected to anything inside the door anymore, I suspect. It's extremely loose. Wouldn't be surprised if I could pull it out of the door. Might be perusing the classifieds to rectify that.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wing Window Bentley Section 57 from 88 onwards? Reply with quote

"Well, there's your problem…"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Slides right out. Nothing holding it in place.

The mechanism to which it belongs seems kind of hard to get to. Rolling Eyes

Wondering who thought putting the screw head on the back side of the mechanism is a fair question. The diagram above actually shows the screw on the more reasonable side, where you could access through the door. And that pin that goes through the pivot pin seems to be missing on mine. I don't recall seeing a hole for it and I left it outside so can't confirm.

I seem to have a lot of extra wires behind the door panel: power door locks and/or windows, maybe? It's an 87 so I think those were options at that point.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Wing Window Bentley Section 57 from 88 onwards? Reply with quote

So the pivot isn't the problem. I managed to get it seated in the adjustment/clamp which means it doesn't flop around when I open and close the window. It could be tighter but I don't see any way to do that without taking the wing window frame out. I can't reach the clamp to make the adjustment.

The noise persists and the solution is a tighter seal. If I shim the window closed at the latch, I can get the noise to stop. There is a little bit of play in the latch and I'll see if I can get it apart and tighten that up.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Wing Window Bentley Section 57 from 88 onwards? Reply with quote

I recall sometime ago, a member posted that they fit some rope cord into the seal lip to cause it to fit snugger. Seemed like a simple idea. I am impressed that you got the vent bracket bolt out of the pivot.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Wing Window Bentley Section 57 from 88 onwards? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I recall sometime ago, a member posted that they fit some rope cord into the seal lip to cause it to fit snugger. Seemed like a simple idea.

Interesting. Having trouble visualizing that, how it would make the window seal more tightly (it needs to be pushed/pulled in and straightened so the back edge is vertical). That front pivot maybe needs tweaking, bending into a more helpful position. I really like being able to open that window, lots of fresh air without the noise of the main window, so I'm not done yet.

MarkWard wrote:
I am impressed that you got the vent bracket bolt out of the pivot.

That? It came right out, nothing holding it. This is the earlier version without the limiting pin and the clamp is too loose to offer much resistance.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Wing Window Bentley Section 57 from 88 onwards? Reply with quote

I'm in the process of rebuilding my doors after a full paint job.
My van had the chrome trim. I removed it. My wing window rubber isn't too bad but without the chrome trim it feels more loose. Floppy loose.

So I decided to order new rubber and found this note at the bottom of van cafes order page that implies the chrome trim acts to hold the rubber seal tighter. Looking at my seals I believe it.

So maybe putting a cord inside the chrome trim slot will add this clamping force back and reduce the whistle from this area?

This link also talks about reducing wind noise.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/smartlist_1088/weatherstrip-front-doors-c1088
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Wing Window Bentley Section 57 from 88 onwards? Reply with quote

Well, it seems part of the trouble is the front pivot: it's too loose and doesn't force the window into the right alignment. Not sure how to fix that. The part (where parts 3 and 4 attach) that comes through the rubber seal is actually loose. Compared it to the passenger side and it's nice and tight.

This project really wants me to take that &^%&^&ing frame out. Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bentley Section 57 from 88 onwards? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
As the illustration shows, it's a pretty simple assembly.

Newer Vans have a built in stop so that you cannot fully swing them open, why? Who knows?
You can easily disable the stop though.

Any directions on how to disable this stop, Dave? I'd love to open mine fully.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Wing Window Bentley Section 57 from '88 onwards? Reply with quote

I think it's part 1C in the diagram above, that pin. I don't have it and I get full rotation.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Wing Window Bentley Section 57 from '88 onwards? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
I think it's part 1C in the diagram above, that pin. I don't have it and I get full rotation.
yes, that' she part, 1C. The question is, how to remove or bypass it easily, as djkeev said.

One could always remove the entire wing window assembly, but that seems like hours of work for both sides.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Wing Window Bentley Section 57 from '88 onwards? Reply with quote

Unless you have very tiny hands I don't see that coming out without removing the whole assembly. It looks like it might be threaded (can't tell from the drawing but it's tapered…) so I suspect it doesn't just pull out. It does take some time to R&R as you need to remove the other window as well. Probably one of those "while you're in there, do X, Y, Z…" opportunities (dynamat, lubricating mechanisms, checking for rust/poor drainage, etc.)

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: