Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Arghh! Too much belt tension killing things?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Arghh! Too much belt tension killing things? Reply with quote

I got my '89 Syncro this spring. One of the first things I did was replace all the cracked old belts. I tried to keep the new ones pretty loose and tightened them just enough to keep them from squeaking. With moderate single finger pressure I could easily produce 1/2 to 1" deflection.

About a month later the water pump went. I didn't think much about it because it was probably the original. Replaced that and put the belts on loose again.

About a month later the alternator went. Hmm... suspicious, but it was probably the original as well.

Today I went out and found the new water pump (a good german one) leaking!

What am I missing? I really think the belt has not been very tight. What are the chances I'd blow an old water pump, an old alternator, and a new water pump in the span of 2 months and 4,000 miles? Am I doing something wrong?

Not looking forward to changing the water pump again...

Cheers,
-Bill
'89 Syncro
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidence, that is my theory. Check to make sure the pulleys line up.

The problem I am having is the belts are either loosening or stretching. And the same problem is with new or used belts. Every few weeks I have to tighten the alternator belt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Petervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Arghh! Too much belt tension killing things? Reply with quote

stormforge wrote:
I got my '89 Syncro this spring. One of the first things I did was replace all the cracked old belts. I tried to keep the new ones pretty loose and tightened them just enough to keep them from squeaking. With moderate single finger pressure I could easily produce 1/2 to 1" deflection.

About a month later the water pump went. I didn't think much about it because it was probably the original. Replaced that and put the belts on loose again.

About a month later the alternator went. Hmm... suspicious, but it was probably the original as well.

Today I went out and found the new water pump (a good german one) leaking!

What am I missing? I really think the belt has not been very tight. What are the chances I'd blow an old water pump, an old alternator, and a new water pump in the span of 2 months and 4,000 miles? Am I doing something wrong?

Not looking forward to changing the water pump again...

Cheers,
-Bill
'89 Syncro
you have a german pump leaking and I had a new italian pump that had to be replaced the next day..this happened to me about 10 yrs ago...napa belts, the "premium yellow strip" quality will Not stretch to the point that they will have to be adjusted on a continual basis
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iceracer -- I've definitely had much better luck with the more expensive belts I've used. They are both softer and grippier (can be run looser) and they don't seem to stretch much as they age. A combination of higher quality rubber and better belting inside I suspect. I've had good luck with the Dayco "Top Cog" belts. I think the pulley on the alternator/waterpump combo is undersized so it makes sense that you really need the best belt you can get.

Anyone else had a new water pump fail in the first few thousand miles?

Cheers,
-Bill
'89 Syncro
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: