Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Its my fault. Clutch / tranny prob. *Update 8/31*
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
the-jerm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Its my fault. Clutch / tranny prob. *Update 8/31* Reply with quote

Ok, I went to the gas station saturday and filled up the tank on my bug. I was able to get it filled, leave, and make it about a block from the station when the engine dies. The confusing part at the time was it sounded like it was running out of gas. Not sure what was going on, I put it in first and dumped the clutch hoping it would start back up. It fired, ran for a second, and then "petered out". I tried two more times to get it to run with the same outcome. After pulling it over, I realized it was out of gas, changed it over to reserve. The fuel line filled back up. It started up and drove fine for the rest of the day. So I understand that I stirred up some crap in the tank when I filled it and something got sucked up by the primary pickup in the tank. No big deal. Just one more thing to fix on the bug. Rolling Eyes

But wait. It gets better. The next day I jump in the bug and head out for the hardware store. I come up to a red light and stop with no problems. When the light goes green, I try to take off only to hear a noise in the back. The car is reving but not really moving. There is a nasty noise comming out of the back. I was able to get it to the side of the road out of harms way. Upon inspection, I notice fluid dripping off of the tranny and a little off of the engine. It did not resemble engine oil. I know it was not there yesterday as I was down there to make sure I didn't have a ruptured fuel line. I called my wife and towed it home. Sad

My theory as to what happened is this. I believe I was the cause of the clutch failure by trying to "kick start" it on saturday. The first time I did it, I was doing no more than 30 mph and had it in first gear. I'm curious to know what you guys think the cause of the fluid on the tranny is. Did the clutch break apart and take the rear seal or is it something worse?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you guys might have. Please keep the bashing to a minimum as I understand the error of my ways.

Last edited by the-jerm on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Its my fault. Clutch / tranny prob. Reply with quote

the-jerm wrote:
I believe I was the cause of the clutch failure by trying to "kick start" it on saturday. The first time I did it, I was doing no more than 30 mph and had it in first gear.

since the shift point for 1st to second gear is 15mph why do you bother buying gasoline?
just kick start it and drive 2X faster than with engine running.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the-jerm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused
the-jerm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, I understand I f@cked up by trying to dump the clutch in first gear at speeds well over that of the shift point. Its a tough lesson learned and I can safely say it won't happen again. I'm just wondering what I have in store for me when I start looking for the cause of the leak. A mechanic at work told me it may have ruptured the tranny. Is that a possibility?
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, you never try to jump start the car in first gear. The mechanical advantage just isn't there. Try 2nd, if the car is just rolling and 3rd or even 4th if you are moving faster.

Trying to jump start it in first at 30mph is just way too fast. You will have the engine turning somewhere around 6,000rpm when it is designed to run around 3,000 max.

So, yes, things can and will break if you exceed their design limitations.

However, it is difficult to damage the clutch just by trying to jump start the car.

So now you have some sort of fluid leaking out. First you need to identify that fluid. What is it? And then you need to figure out where it is coming from.

You will probably have to drop the engine out as it sounds as if maybe something in the clutch has come apart.
the-jerm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply doc.

I was under the thought that the clutch is a definate problem and removal of the engine is inevitable. Unfortunately, I will not have the time for a little while as I am in the process of renovating a house for my family to live in.

It was also told to me that the rear seal could have started leaking causing the clutch to slip but I don't think that's the case as this happened almost instantly.
the-jerm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the fluid looks to be gear oil from the tranny. Boots look to be intact. No fluid on the axles or drums. Just fluid on the tranny (towards the back) and a little on the engine.
66 12volt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have broken the input shaft. When you popped the clutch at 30 in first you applied a lot of impact torque. If so gear oil will get by the input shaft seal.
the-jerm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that sounds like fun.

I'm really interested to know what I will find when I tear it apart. Its killing me that I have to wait. I was planning on removing the engine in the near future to do some work on the engine compartment. I guess my to do list just got bigger. d'oh! Brick wall
the-jerm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*UPDATE TIME*

Since I posted this, a friend and I purchased a '59 sedan. I had to use the back rims from my car to transport it home. While taking the rims off of my '60, I noticed the drivers rear brake drum wobbled very badly. Interested to see why, I removed the nut and drum to find the splines on the drum were missing. Not even a bump was left where a spline once was. I realize the nut was not tight enough but has anyone ever heard of that happening? I always believed the drum to be much stronger than that.

As far as the "mystery fluid" issue, it seems as though both axle boots are leaking where they meet the axle plates (Plates on the sides of the tranny).

At this point, I figure this to be the reason behind my experience. It makes sense (I think) that I would instantly think the clutch was the culprit as this would have the same characteristics when trying to accelerate. My concern now is why did both boots start leaking all of a sudden at that exact time?
buck.william
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to mine on the highway as I tried to pass a semi-truck. Bad timing. I figure it was the p.o. not having tightened the axle nut properly and was told by some people that was the reason for sure. Just don't know if they were sure. but it just might be right.
Shadd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks, but not as bad as and engine or transmission rebuild. How are the splines on that axle? I forgot to torque an axle nut once. I was lucky enough that it came apart down the street from my house only seconds after I left. Unfortunatly in my case the wheel just feel off. Boy did I feel like a dumbass!
buck.william
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The axle itself was fine just spun the splines on the hub. As a matter of fact the axle is still running
fine.
66 12volt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good thing You spun a hub! Easy and cheap repair.
the-jerm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Agreed^^^

This was my biggest project on a car I have ever taken on solo. I tightened the nut with an impact with the thought that I would have to borrow a torque wrench to finish tightening them up. Lucky for me, I put the cotter pin in it so I wouldn't loose it. I'm glad (and hoping) that's all that happened and lucky it didn't result in an injury.
66 12volt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did replace the hub/drum?
the-jerm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definately will before it goes back on the road. There's no way it will run with that drum on it. The inside of the drum where the splines once were is now pollished smooth. Hell, I can't find but one 1/2" piece of spline floating around in the whole assembly. There is a thick layer of black "dust" caked on everything though. Could be what's left of the splines?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: