Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas Heater Start Up Procedure
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaybug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Gas Heater Start Up Procedure Reply with quote

Hi, My wife just bought a 73 Thing and wants me to make sure everything is working correctly. I was playing with the gas heater, can't get it to light yet, and I can't believe all the knowledge on this site for the heater, but I can't find any start up procedures. I read the copy from the owners manual but it seems hard to follow. It reads to pre heat the car turn the timer on switch to A, it will pre heat the car for 30 min. then shut off but can you turn it to the one position and it will turn on the heater until you want to turn it off? I also read that if the heater is on and you shut the car off the heater will shut off. And the heater will fire back up when you start the car. I would think that the heater knob is still on the number 1 position. When I am testing the heater, the blower is working and I can hear the fuel pump clicking but it won't light. Does the key need to be on? I'm going to prime the full pump like you guys talked about and I noticed a plastic fuel filter prior to the pump. I will replace that too. Any help would be appreciated.
1986 CT110 Honda
jaybug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's two photos

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
1986 CT110 Honda
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start it, turn the timer switch on the dash just to the left of the speedometer clockwise. There is also a thermostat pull knob right below the driver side windshield clamp right next to the door. I would start with it 1/2 to 3/4 pulled out. Sometimes the thermostat is maladjusted and will blow the overheat fuse when the thermostat knob is pulled all of the way out. By not pulling it out all of the way you can see if the heater is working first and not have to deal with it potentially blowing fuses.

How long are you waiting for it to fire? I think it is spec'd to take up to 2 minutes to fire up. Mine only takes that long if I haven't used it in a long while and it is really cold outside (well below freezing). Most of the time it is fired up and putting out heat in about 45 seconds.

There is usually a clockworks mechanism that will wind down and shut the heater off if the car isn't started in a certain time frame (depends on how far you turn the switch to begin with), but the mechanism has been known to stop working. The clockwork mechanism is there to keep you from draining the battery. Mine will keep running even when I turn the ignition off. It will only stop if I turn it off, it runs out of gas, or if the battery dies because the timer portion of the timer switch is not functional for mine. It does work well as an on/off switch though.
jaybug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Silver-Thing, that helped a lot. I'll try it. Funny I was tapping on the pump and it stopped ticking, I'll check the fuse. Jay
1986 CT110 Honda
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep reading and tinkering. of course, be careful and be safe. use common sense.
Mine had not run in 25+ years. i flipped the reset switch, turned it on, tapped on the fuel pump with a wrench and VIOLA!!!. it has kept me toasty warm ever since.
not to say that you may need more help. there is point adjustment, wiring connections, etc.

oh, i did replace ALL the fuel lines. That goes back to common sense...Good Luck Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: