Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Change your ignition switch
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
akyrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a AAZ in an 82. The problem was after the initial glowplug cycle, the light went out but I still wasn't getting 12 volts to my fuel cutoff solenoid. I couldn't figure it out, the relay was working fine, all the wires were correct. For the short term I hooked up a toggle switch to give power to the solenoid. this worked fine, but the nagging question was persistent. Then I remembered that since I haven't changed the switch on this relatively new to me vehicle I "should." A Couple days ago I replaced the ign. switch and found that I didn't need my toggle switch any more. That made me a happy camper.

82 AHU DK, 1950's Puch-black
57 Zwitter?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is also valid for a 99 Cabrio! I have been going crazy trying to figure out why my newly aquitred Cabrio lights have been going off and on randomly, wipers quit working etc etc, Idea light shined on Marble head! De Ja Vu... Ignition switch is the same as one I changed on my vanagon a few years ago
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Change your ignition switch Reply with quote

Sitting around on a lazy afternoon in camp I thought I'd pull the new ignition switch out of the parts box and go about installing it.

A few observations:

1) Thanks Ben for an outstanding write-up on removing these dash and replacing the switch!
2) No Vanagon should ever be stranded due to a poor ignition switch. There are several possible easy fixes that can be done from the comfort of the driver's seat. The simplest being: remove two Phillips screws securing the steering column plastic shroud > pull the plug from the ignition switch > plug in a new ignition switch and turn it with flathead screwdriver. That can easily be done in less than five minutes.
3) While it may not be necessary to preemptively replace the ignition switch, it's not a bad idea to take a look to see if it appears damaged.

In my van's case, the existing switch looked brand new and said "Germany" on it so I reinstalled it and put the new switch back in the parts box.

Original switch on the right, replacement from GW on the left...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Remove the plastic steering column cover, pull this plug, jump the connections or install a new switch and you'll be back on your way. No stranding necessary...

It's a long thread, some good posts (in addition to Ben's)...

gears wrote:
Thanks a million for the help, Ben. Due to your clear photo tutorial, it took me about 30 minutes to change my ignition switch instead of probably a couple hours of head scratching. Great stuff.

?Waldo? wrote:
I find preemptive changing of the ignition switch entirely unnecessary. A failed one would never leave me stranded. 10 minutes and 2 paperclips (or similar) later I'd be motoring on even with a completely dead switch.

A likely gumption trap is attempting to remove the lock housing w/out the key in the ignition (the steering lock will keep the housing from coming off of the steering column.

levi wrote:
It's been several years since I've had to replace the Ign. switch, but today I needed to.
Pulled out the new one from my box of extras, and started in.

Stymied! What?

This little bastard doesn't want to slide off, and after messing with it for awhile I decided that in the dark and cold wind was not the time to finish it.

Pic taken from Ben's site.

Yes, the allen bolt on the left that anchors it is out, and I splayed it out a little, but it hangs on something.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Change your ignition switch Reply with quote

Ha! So a few weeks after I deemed the old ignition switch to be good, the "key-in" switch got grumpy and stopped recognizing the key was OUT.

Also, when trouble shooting I saw the horn ring and horn shoe contact were worn and ready to cause trouble,

New ignition switch, new horn ring and new turn signal switch with horn contact shoe...

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Change your ignition switch Reply with quote

There is always apparent conflict between those operating on run to fail models and preventative maintenance models because risk aversion varies

Neither model is “correct“ and even the economics vary.

Rtf generally gets more life and value from parts costs. A single incident requiring a roadside intervention can wipe out that advantage

I run two cars on strict pm, one on strict rtf, and three on a mixed model
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Change your ignition switch Reply with quote

PM is becoming less reliable since some old parts sometimes last longer than the new parts they're replaced with under PM. Replace the old fuel pump with a possibly less reliable new one and keep the old one on hand as a spare? Keep the OG unit in place? My sample size is way too small to know.

Abscate wrote:

bear15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Change your ignition switch Reply with quote

So I replaced the switch, made sure all my connections are good and clean, put in a new stater, etc I it still does not consistency start.

Any help appreciated.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Change your ignition switch Reply with quote

bear15 wrote:
So I replaced the switch, made sure all my connections are good and clean, put in a new stater, etc I it still does not consistency start.

Any help appreciated.

Bear - Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? The automatic also has a neutral safety switch in the start circuit that can cause issues. Is this for your deisel?
bear15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Change your ignition switch Reply with quote

We have a 1982 diesel Manuel stick shift westy.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Change your ignition switch Reply with quote

bear15 wrote:
We have a 1982 diesel Manuel stick shift westy.

Have you tested if there is "a voltage" between your starter motor housing and battery negative (while cranking)?

You need to know if there's voltage ----->during the "start-failure-event".
It's kinda hard to test for - but that's what you need to confirm.

See this post: Why does new battery slow crank new engine?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: