Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tightening Valves on Rebuilt
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Tightening Valves on Rebuilt Reply with quote

We just made it back from the Smoky Mountains - amazing trip by the way. I adjusted the valves every morning before taking off. Seemed to be finally settling in but now, back in the driveway after the last leg, one's tight again. I'm guessing I should pull the engine and have a look at the heads at a minimum. I have an oil leak I can't seem to cure too which I suspect is the front seal. Anybody have any advice? Could the adjusters be causing trouble? I am confident in my adjustment procedure - been doing this for a few years now.

Basically, since putting in the rebuilt if I find one at 0.006 or 0.007 I leave it alone. Figured a hair loose was better than tight. #1 and #2 exhaust have me worried. These are the 'as found' numbers come adjustment time. Again, if I found it at 0.007 I left it so that would account for a few of the running 7's.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Should I be panicking more than I already am? Can I make it through the rest of this camping season before pulling the engine? Aside from these numbers and the oil leak (drips underneath / maybe 1qt/1500 miles) the thing runs good and cool. I've been averaging 23 mpg (this engine is in the Westy).

I feel pretty bad about waiting as long as I did on a couple of those adjustment procedures. I think I had some bad advice saying it was ok to wait until oil change time. I've been more diligent lately.
MJulien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could check your compression to determine if your cylinder head is coming loose.

Make sure that the rockers are not coming loose as well. If it is the same valve/valves getting tight, it may be a valve seating in deeper.

As far as adjusting everyday, that may be an overkill to say the least but by doing so you are identifying a possible issue. You should let things settle in since it is new. Typically I reset after 500 miles on a new engine. After that recheck after oil change or start of new driving season. Everyone has a standard, just works for me.

Also, the constant on and off of the valve covers can cause leaks. The seals need to stay tight. You could be causing some seal damage. Carry extra ones with you.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct in checking them real frequently since there is some problem with 1 and 2 exhaust. A big issue here is you didn't tell us what engine it is. A T-1 and T-4 generallly have different issues. I would not expect any significant change in gaps after the initial hundred or so miles after a rebuild. You need to do a lot more investigation before you think about pulling the engine down. There are many things here that could be the problem. Simple like bad adjusting screws or not simple such as a bad start-up and break-in method that could have resulted in a loss of the cam or lifter bores by now. Don't worry about the little cost of new valve cover gaskets. Those are a nothing concern to replace. And R and R of the valve covers don't result in any problems other than putting on new valve cover gaskets.
I would start checking 1 and 2 exh more frequently and more carefully. Also carefully inspecting the rockers, adjusters, etc. Confirm that you actually do have a problem before digging in deeper.
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.....you keep great records!

If it's a type IV, I would guess you have issues with 1 & 2 exhaust seats. But the numbers seem to have evened out some....huh? Maybe that's because you check them more often?
Rusty O'Toole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would scare the hell out of me but I notice they seem to have settled down once the engine got past the 5000 mile mark.

Maybe someone can tell us if it is normal for valves to sink or bed in that much and if it usually takes so long for it to happen.

I'd keep driving and checking. If they don't get any worse maybe it was just breaking in???

In his signature he mentions a 1600 single port bus so I assume that is what we are talking about.
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 1600 single port. I will have to check compression - rocker assemblies seemed tight at time of last valve check. I realize once a day seems like a lot but when we were doing hundreds of miles each day on our vacation I felt like I needed to be in there evaluating. How would I know if the adjusters are bad?

Thanks for the input. I'm still not really sure what I should do. I'm still feeling the best would be to pull it and at least take the heads off. I ordered the Tom Wilson book and will probably spend some time educating myself.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good first move Wink
Kosmo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bud,

My adjusting nuts were coming loose, and allow valves to get tight.
Make sure you tighten those adjusting nuts really tight after you adjust.

Snug them with a open end, and then crank em down with socket wrench.
After I did this, they stopped tightening up on me.
iratehippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the history on the rebuilt engine/heads? If 2E is tight and pushing into seat, you'll be able to see, as the valve stems won't be in line, 2E will stick out more, keeps getting tight, you keep adjusting. Comp. test asap might tell ya something. Still less than 10,000, it could still be running itself in. Do you have some kind of temp guage?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess if your head studs were pulling it would mean your valves would be getting loose so that's out. If they were that could also cause the pushrod tubes to leak.

The engine temp has a whole lot to do with the valve lash so be sure you are actually checking them all at the same temps (like first thing in the morning).

What kind of side play do you have on the rockers? If they move sideways because of broken spring washers that could result in a poor reading with your feeler gauge.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice here. I always check in the morning after it's sat all night to be cold, cold. I'll check for side-to-side in the rocker next time the covers come off. We're off for a short trip this weekend so I'll put a few miles on in the meantime.

I snug those nuts down pretty good. A good stout pull with the 8" or so wrench seems like plenty of torque on a 13mm nut. I really don't think I'd want to go any tighter than I am already but will keep it in mind.

So if the valves *are* just continually seating deeper what would be the remedy? New heads? Who's reputable for single port stuff? I'd rather pay a bit more to ease my mind and not have to pull the engine again.

Also - no temp gauge but it seems to run really cool. By far cooler than either of the other two VW's we have. As long as it's less than 90F ambient outside I can hold the dipstick indefinitely.

History is that this was a rebuilt longblock purchased from aircooled.net - not much more I can say I guess.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the details on the rebuild? What was done and how long ago?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sped372 wrote:
History is that this was a rebuilt longblock purchased from aircooled.net - not much more I can say I guess.

I don't really have any details. A search of aircooled.net doesn't appear they sell these any more. It was a couple years back.
iratehippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your runnin cool enough. Dipstick has always been my temp guage. I would treat the engine with care, do all the maintaince at the right times/milage. Keep checkin those valves, engine may still be getting broke in. I'm driving a 72 with a 1700. It came w/weber and 009. After 6 or so months of questionable running and carb/dist adjusting, I decided to check the valves. TO TIGHT. so I adjust, and the engine ran smooth, no readjusting of timing etc. Drove 600 miles or so(road trip) and the next day, its back to stallin out...So I just check the valves and cyls.1 and 3 ex val. are a little tight. Readjust valves and the engine runs smooth...got 22+ mpg back to oregon, with a bigger load than I went down.
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did another adjustment. All ok except #4 intake was .004 - maybe things are settling in...? Didn't feel any undue side to side play in the rocker arm assembly. I could push each sideways but they would spring back. Guessing that's ok?
iratehippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

without lookin, it "sounds" okay to me.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2e would be the one that concerns me. You've seen 4 x .006 loss or .024 which seems like a lot to tighten up on that one valve. That might imply the valve is stretching. Are these new exhaust valves or used ones?
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
That might imply the valve is stretching.

Especially if he is adding spinach to his fuel (think popeye)......how exactly does a valve grow longer? Enlighten me? I've only seen valve seats mashed into the head...same result, the gap tightens.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Especially if he is adding spinach to his fuel (think popeye)......how exactly does a valve grow longer? Enlighten me? I've only seen valve seats mashed into the head...same result, the gap tightens.

Really. That is why you replace exhaust valves ALWAYS with the best quality available when you do a valve job. They fatigue and begin to stretch like taffy then the head pops off and goes through the piston. I rebuilt a Ferrari Dino engine once for a friend and several valves were about a mile from snapping they were so thin. He was complaining that power was going away. The stems were about 1/2 the original thickness where they had stretched. That is the worst I've ever seen. It can happen to any internal combustion engine.

Here is a Vanagon one that stretched more in the valve than the stem area. The failure is normally in the stem.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: