Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift Extender Ruins Transmissions?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Extender Ruins Transmissions? Reply with quote

SHIFTING should require no more than two fingers on the knob.. If more force is necessary, then adjustment is out.. or there is something in the rod linkage not right. (or even worse trans itself is ready for a rebuild)

The extender, at worst, may compound the real problem... because it gives a little more lever to your hand/arm force.

I don't think data exists to say it can be "fact" one way or another.
I've had an extender for years and years. 150k+ miles?
And one trans failed due to abuse.. that's on me.. Not the extender.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Extender Ruins Transmissions? Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
SHIFTING should require no more than two fingers on the knob.

Agreed !

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A ^^random pic^^ of the gear lever extension.

I think they're saying the increased leverage will enable a ham-fisted driver to increase the load on the shifting components.

If you MUST shift fast, it puts more pressure on the synchros and they will wear out faster.

It seems reasonable that owners (the few who maintain their transaxles Wink )
would choose a modern gear oil of higher lubricity to get longer life from the transaxle.
Then they discover that this added protection comes at a cost - that it's now harder to shift fast
( as they were accustomed to / habit etc).
And rather than adapting driving style (shift slower)....
prefer to keep shifting fast by increasing the leverage (with that gear lever extension).

Another feasible problem is the shifting is difficult because of linkage wear, defect, or lack of lubrication.
Adding a lever extension might just break the shift lever off at the base. Shocked

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Extender Ruins Transmissions? Reply with quote

VW did not use shift stops in their transaxles back in the day. If you are gentle on your shifts as described, the shift lever could be up to the mirror and you aren't going to hurt anything.

If you shift hard, you are shoving the slider ring and syncro against the gear. With the extra leverage, you could force it enough to let the dogs pop out. Not good. You could also exert more load on the shift fork with the extra leverage.

If you are concerned, you could add bearing locks to both sides of one of the shift bushings to act as physical stops. I did this on my VW race car.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Extender Ruins Transmissions? Reply with quote

On the original British Mini somebody came up with a shift lever extension so you didn't hit the dashboard with your knuckles when shifting.

It was a short extension really, but the end resulting theory was that the added weight of the shifter was helping wear out whatever it was that kept the transmission in gear because as it aged it kept dropping out of gear the top gear closet to the dashboard. The extension curved away from the dash so the assumption was the weight was off center on the original shift lever.

Just saying!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Extender Ruins Transmissions? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
The extension curved away from the dash so the assumption was the weight was off center on the original shift lever.

Perhaps the driver adds the weight of their right hand to
the shifter (for extended periods) as well, putting a constant
pressure on the 4th gear shift fork.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Extender Ruins Transmissions? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
The extension curved away from the dash so the assumption was the weight was off center on the original shift lever.

Nobody ever "proved" any reason, but the ones without the extension I do not remember having the problem or I'm just getting senile.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Extender Ruins Transmissions? Reply with quote

I'd say this, user heavy handed
if it's easier to rest a hand on the shifter people(I) will.
it's only in these later years I've learned that's bad and try to brake myself of the habit. having armrests helps alot.

Sodo wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: