Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Loosen the fuel filter
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allihjelm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Loosen the fuel filter Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just a small question. In order to access the fuel filter underneath the gas tank, do I have to loosen the gas tank completely or is it enough to loosen the nut underneath and it will pop out?

Thanks, Al.
bsflyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a lot easier to remove the four bolts and then tilt it up. I use a piece of wood to hold it there while I change the filter.

You might consider removing that filter and installing one in back in the flexible hose just after it exits the frame. There should be pictures if you search for it. Then you can make a habit of changing it when you adjust the valves.

66' Beetle running 1500 SP
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you are talking abou the sock screen on the pick up tube in the tank?

If so, there is no need to remove the tank. You can just pull the right front wheel off and get right in there.

But if you want a little more room to work on it, then there are just 4 bolts that hold the tank in. It's easier to pull the tank then pull the wheel off as long as there is enough slack in the fuel line to get under there when you lift the tank!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to relocated try to not place it in the engine bay unless you have very secure clamps, you don't want a potential fire one day. I have two fuel filters under the tank (80 micron sintered bronze and 30 micron screen).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: