Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Long coolant hose alternative?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
babywindow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Long coolant hose alternative? Reply with quote

I'm putting in the Gates Green Stripe stuff, it wasn't that much for a roll at Rockauto. I got crazy with the credit card and bought the Gowesty stainless long before I read this thread...going in now.

Hey, can anyone explain why the vanagon (86 and up at least) feeds the coolant in at the bottom of the radiator and takes the return from the top ( the right angle bend hose)? Seems like this would starve the water pump anytime the level gets low!
kdaggitt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Long coolant hose alternative? Reply with quote

I used the galv fencing top rail, and where it needed considerable bending I just couple it together with standard automotive rad hose with double clamps. been going perfect for nearly 7 yrs now, never any issues, changed coolant a few times, came out still clean like normal coolant in a normal cooling system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Long coolant hose alternative? Reply with quote

I’ve found it’s not that difficult to bend the galv top rail stuff. I used it to make greenhouse frames and bent it around rim for a small tractor tire.
The gates hose is suitable and I have that in my current Suby conversion. A trip to your local Parker store will answer all your Qs. Those folks are super helpful w AC , cooling system and power steering adaptation. They have all the fittings and hose and can direct you how to make it work. They came out to my last conversion in the parking lot and discussed how to make the AC connections and then proceeded to produce the hoses w ends that I needed. 5 stars on service there. Look em up.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Long coolant hose alternative? Reply with quote

I’ve found it’s not that difficult to bend the galv top rail stuff. I used it to make greenhouse frames and bent it around rim for a small tractor tire.
The gates hose is suitable and I have that in my current Suby conversion. A trip to your local Parker hose store will answer all your Qs. Those folks are super helpful w AC , cooling system and power steering adaptation. They have all the fittings and hose and can direct you how to make it work. They came out to my last conversion in the parking lot and discussed how to make the AC connections and then proceeded to produce the hoses w ends that I needed. 5 stars on service there. Look em up.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Long coolant hose alternative? Reply with quote

Quoting a recent post on alternative heater hoses......

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
wanted to update this.

i wanted to replace my front heater core hoses. they are available but of questionable quality.

everything in my cooling system is new...down to a NOS vw/audi radiator, the only exception is the front heater core, as it seems to be just fine (here's to hoping)

anyway i got down to business trying to figure out the front heater hose situation. 37 year old coolant hoses are nothing i personally want to trust. and Taiwanese hoses i'd trust even less

so after hours of digging i came up with Gates 28472 hose

it's a 90º Molded Heater Hose that is 5/8" x 52" or a 4" leg and 48" length after the 90

it's claim to fame is being SUPER flexible, which it is.... it's not stiff ass hose like normal 5/8 heater hose. you can tell by it's weave....much like a chinese finger or fishnet stockings.

you can literally almost tie it in a knot without kinking

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

you can see it here on the top

now both

if you do the Ferd heater valve it's almost like it was meant to be. it will work with the sucky VW valve as well.

photo here makes it look like it's close to the fan, but it's about 3/4" away...plenty of room and i haven't zip tied anything off yet

basically i trimmed the leg down to the length of the OE hose and went to town. they do sell this hose a bit shorter....i forget the p/n but wanted as long as i could get for wiggle room and honestly, it wasn't much of a price swing.

so for 20 bux you can get your ancient hoses the fuck out of the cab and not blow 25 bux a piece for taiwan junk

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenbus pilot wrote:
[ . They are supposed to be torqued to some specific value( which I have no clue....), and yet they LEAK when cold. Work fine all summer...... Anyone else use these things?
OR, does anyone else have problems with other clamps used with silicone??
Question [/img]

I know this post was made long ago, but for anyone using "constant torque" clamps here are the torque values generally used with them.

https://tectran.com/hose-clamps-constant-torque/

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: