Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where are the bugs in Montana ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Where are the bugs in Montana ? Reply with quote

I have recently moved to Montana and I have not been able to find a VW Club or anyone who is into old VWs. I have been looking for a pre 68 bug project car. I have cruised the junkyards and have been looking all around with no luck. I am looking for a non running neglected bug that I can get for a reasonable price. If you have an old bug sitting in a field or barn I would love to buy it for a winter project.
tico1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where you moved from, but I can't think of many places better to move to. Lord willing, I'll be there soon and we can start our VW own club. Anyway, I have seen a company selling on-line called Golden Beetle, which I belive is in Billings. You may want to try asking them. As far as finding an old VW (or any cool old car), there are tons. However, most are hidden away in garages, barns, or burried in overgrown yards. But it's alot of fun searching!
Shan Simpson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all of the surrounding States and Alberta Have taken them, at least I've taken a few. But I have seen stuff in Billings Too.
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my 63 ragtop in a barn in no where NE. Put adds in small town papers, / shoppers. I bought my car from a guy who was redoing for his daughter to drive to high school. She was 28 when I bought it. A $10.00 add for 2 weeks is what it cost me.

Geoff
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked a similar question when passing through Missoula. The response? "This is muscle country." In western MT- you'll see classic muscle cars at used car lots! I saw one later bug and one bay window bus from Lolo to Flathead lake- but saw more Camaros and Chevelles to last a lifetime.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great idea putting an ad in the paper. I will also make a road trip to Billings to see what I may be able to find.
vntgvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before doing any business with "Golden Beetle" you should read this.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=237037&highlight=golden
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm in Eastern WA, but my girlfriend grew up in Montana. She drove a bug through high school...but never saw that many. She said that there's a bug for sale in Plains right now, near the County Fair. I'm not sure what they're asking...she didn't stop. Said that it looked like a 65 (sometimes she can get the years messed up). Drive back roads...I just bought my bus in Eastern Montana this summer (63' Kombi). I looked for VW's the whole way...and I didn't see too many. A few in Havre, and a Ghia in St. Regis, just off Hwy 95. Good luck!

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outoftheoffice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vntgvw wrote:
Before doing any business with "Golden Beetle" you should read this.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=237037&highlight=golden

Wow, lots of reading but in the end all I was wondering is "Is this guy still in business and if so - how?!?". Hopefully he has been kicked off here before he could dupe anyone else.
tico1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...on second thought, after reading that post about Golden B, you are better off staying well away from them.
69rulz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tico1968 wrote:
I don't know where you moved from, but I can't think of many places better to move to. Lord willing, I'll be there soon and we can start our VW own club. Anyway, I have seen a company selling on-line called Golden Beetle, which I belive is in Billings. You may want to try asking them. As far as finding an old VW (or any cool old car), there are tons. However, most are hidden away in garages, barns, or burried in overgrown yards. But it's alot of fun searching!

i found one behind two nissans under a bush in a corners in the woods next to a fence, with original everything and 60 000 miles but the front end is TOTALED
hubCapT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to school up in Havre Brick wall , there are a couple bugs up in that town, I found two low-light Ghias and brought one back to Spokane with me. Becareful up north, people buy guns at gas stations and the cops in carry shot-guns and assult rifles...
4est
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U can't find any dubs cause i have them all hidden... Wink

Awesome to see another Hellion.. If you want to go dub hunting i could take you to the beetles..

A buddy of mine bought 5 beetles for 1000 last year, and there's plenty more around Helena..

what year would you like?
aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4est,

That's good to know that there are a few around. I am looking for a 66 or older. I would like to find one that is not running and needs work to keep the price down. I did find one last weekend sitting in a field, but no one was around to ask if it was for sale. I am just looking for a good roller with a title.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaronr25 wrote:
4est,

That's good to know that there are a few around. I am looking for a 66 or older. I would like to find one that is not running and needs work to keep the price down. I did find one last weekend sitting in a field, but no one was around to ask if it was for sale. I am just looking for a good roller with a title.

Recommendation, get to know the locals, lay low, keep your eyes open and they will pop up. Do it on your own. I went thru the same thing when I moved to Northern, NM and now everyone knows I am the VW person in town.
Though I only work on my own cars, I often get asked to work on others VW's. Sometimes I do and most times I just say no, but the irony is, I find most if not all the VW's up here for sale by word of mouth or I get called directly.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4est
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How cheap?
Could you handle something in this shape?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
4est
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh any FYI Montana is awesome about a getting a title. Get the form, call the cop, he comes, runs vin, signs paper. you mail. Done. Take a copy of the form to the city county and get 40-day temp if you can't wait.

heres another from the same location 2 squares 1 beetle 3 engines, 500bucks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not a junkyard.
gbsmallie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best advice is find one yourself by drivin' the back roads. Keep your cards close, as people get snaked all the time. Ive hunted Deer in Montana and always keep my eyes peeled for vintage tin when crossing the state. Last fall, I found a 58 Ghia, location to remain secret. Wink There is plenty around, youll find one if you look. Good Luck!
aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4est,

Thanks for posting the pics. The bug is a little newer than I was hoping for (68 or newer) but it may work. It looks like someone already took the transaxle out of it. I was hoping for one that at least had 4 wheels on it so it would roll around easily in my garage. There is no doubt it's a good deal 500 for all of it. I am not really interested in the type IIIs but if your looking for one I know where there is a Type III fast back in Helena that you could get cheap.
4est
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fastback? Sweet! what year and color? I know of 3 fastys here in Helena.
I don't need any more cars(for now) but i always look because you never know what you may find. My brother just recently found a split window bus. Right in the middle of town!! Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: