Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru / Bostig Resonance
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jennybenny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Subaru / Bostig Resonance Reply with quote

I’ve driven some bostig’s and found the resonance pronounced. Is this typical? How does it compare to Subaru conversions?

Jason.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru / Bostig Resonance Reply with quote

Jennybenny wrote:
I’ve driven some bostig’s and found the resonance pronounced. Is this typical? How does it compare to Subaru conversions?

Jason.

I've driven both and the Subaru, being a boxer, has a much smoother vibe in my opinion. Inline motors, like my Jetta ABA motor, are just buzzier. My Subie 2.2 was way smoother.

I think a lot can be corrected with better/new motor mounts, but the design lends itself to more resonance.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru / Bostig Resonance Reply with quote

Our I-5 is buzzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru / Bostig Resonance Reply with quote

Jennybenny wrote:
I’ve driven some bostig’s and found the resonance pronounced. Is this typical?

Jason.

I don't believe it's typical. My Bostig has not had any noticeable resonance for over 50K miles. It does come up occasionally in forums and motor mounts (specifically, following Bostig recommendations) are a common issue. This would not be a factor in my choosing between engine alternatives.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru / Bostig Resonance Reply with quote

I have the FAS inline-4 2.0 and its a lot louder than a waterboxer. Maybe the exhaust . . .
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru / Bostig Resonance Reply with quote

An inline has obvious physical challenges compared to the inherent natural balance of a boxer (horizontal opposed).
If an inline is smooth enough, then its all good.
But it not going to be "as smooth as" a boxer.

These things are very difficult to qualify by typing/reading.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru / Bostig Resonance Reply with quote

Choice of air cleaner, intake routing to air cleaner, can help reduce noise.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru / Bostig Resonance Reply with quote

The FAS design uses the original air box, etc. The filter is clean and the snorkel is not crushed. I'm so happy with the engine, I'll learn to live with it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru / Bostig Resonance Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
The FAS design uses the original air box, etc. The filter is clean and the snorkel is not crushed. I'm so happy with the engine, I'll learn to live with it.

Right-o for sure Corwyn. I mentioned air box et al because on some swaps, most likely on DIY designed affairs, people might use one of those cone type filters or as I did at one point, run a short snorkel off intake box at area forward of tail light. Having that intake noise in that "echo chamber" gets noisy! Once I switched to the OE snorkel, noise was greatly reduced. Glad you're enjoying the FAS.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: