Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 squareback now with Subaru
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: 71 squareback now with Subaru Reply with quote

just picked it up today. ( bought on friday) checked craigslist toaday and found a good running motor for it locally.\\there's a rod sticking through this one

plans: make it run, make it shine, DRIVE IT!!!!

thanks to all that answered my questions about finding a motor and injectors in the other threads.

all build progress will be here.

heres a link to 30 photos too

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I pulled out this crappy wheel, reistalled the column after i had keys made and put in a used dash from a donor car

http://s533.photobucket.com/albums/ee334/heydriver1/?albumview=grid

Last edited by norcalmike on Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:19 pm; edited 6 times in total
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find, have fun.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosevillain wrote:
Nice find, have fun.

thank you. matter of fact, I bought it in Roseville
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue late squarebacks rock !

Nice find.
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

today's progress:
before i bough it, some bottom feeder pryed oped the passenger vent wing to break into it and bent the crap outta everything. i took the damaged one out ( which was easier than i thought it would be).
the teeth for the window crank is stripped too so im getting a donor door from the same car thats donating its engine. i might as well do the window scrapers while im in there.
off to cip1 to fill my cart up.
that all for now
Chory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intact chrome on those rear windows is SO cool!
‘91 Honda Beat (JDM, mid-engine, KEI)
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

today, i reinstalled to column, signal switch and original wheel. i also finished removing the window trip to make repairs on the vent window and window scraper seals. donor door coming on saturday from the sqbk im getting the motor from soon. also pulled the trim molding and clips from the spare quarters that came with here. i want to dive into this engine and drive it soooo bad. soon, soon
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i bought the square, it had no keys. no problem, i pulled the ignition and the door handles and verified the codes.

email the codes to Gabe Garcia and three days later....VIOLA!!!
2 beautiful logo keys cut to code.

new keys fit perfect, except for the driver door. after pulling the tumbler and cleaning it, i found this inside. took me a while to fish it out, but heres why it didnt come with keys.

dcollin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcalvw wrote:
when i bought the square, it had no keys. no problem, i pulled the ignition and the door handles and verified the codes.

email the codes to Gabe Garcia and three days later....VIOLA!!!
2 beautiful logo keys cut to code.

new keys fit perfect, except for the driver door. after pulling the tumbler and cleaning it, i found this inside. took me a while to fish it out, but heres why it didnt come with keys.

my girlfriend broke a key off in her 71 fastback door just like that. cant lock it now Rolling Eyes
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get in contact with Gabe Garcia? Been trying for at least three months, and gave up figuring he does not want business. Is he back?

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
How did you get in contact with Gabe Garcia? Been trying for at least three months, and gave up figuring he does not want business. Is he back?

sent him an Email through his ads. confirmed cost for services, paypaled money. got keys 3 days later. he just got back from the summer show tours. maybe thats why
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcalvw wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

sent him an Email through his ads. confirmed cost for services, paypaled money. got keys 3 days later. he just got back from the summer show tours. maybe thats why

Thank you! Very Happy Ah, then that is why. When I get her back, I will pull the code again, and see if I can get him. Luckily, it is just the key for the glove box.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. now that i have the keys, i powered it up to check out the lighting situation.

problem 1: the left turn sig works fine, the right just makes an awful buzzing noise and doesnt work. the hazards make the same buzzing noise and blows the fuse.
whats the first thing i should look at? i got the bentley, so i will chase down any shorts. i was wondering if maybe my flasher unit may be bad.

problem #2 : while the key was on, i started smelling gas. i looked under the engine and found a puddle of gas. looks to be pissing fromthe injectors on the right side. possibley #1 . the motor was not running or cranked over. whats goin on there?

thanks, mike
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have the original fuel hose with the woven covering it will develop pinhole leaks! Replace with standard rubber 5/16" fuel hose and new (bigger) hose clamps. The original hose clamps are a little too small for the new 5/16" hose.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuel pump runs for a second or two when the key first comes on, pressurizing the fuel system. If it didn't shut off, check the brown wire on the front left side of the engine compartment, it will be by itself, and travel through the tin, under the car. Russ has a great picture.

It is commonly recommended that you replace ALL of the soft fuel hose. Start under the fuel tank and work your way back. Don't forget the short pieces from the T's to the injectors. Bugformance sells the 8mm braided fuel hose.

The flasher is the same for the left and right, so I would think that the flasher is OK.

Have fun.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcalvw wrote:
OK. now that i have the keys, i powered it up to check out the lighting situation.

problem 1: the left turn sig works fine, the right just makes an awful buzzing noise and doesnt work. the hazards make the same buzzing noise and blows the fuse.
whats the first thing i should look at? i got the bentley, so i will chase down any shorts. i was wondering if maybe my flasher unit may be bad.

problem #2 : while the key was on, i started smelling gas. i looked under the engine and found a puddle of gas. looks to be pissing fromthe injectors on the right side. possibley #1 . the motor was not running or cranked over. whats goin on there?

thanks, mike

Late for bed, but you did something nice, so now I get to return it.

The puddle is most likely from the injector hoses, which are never replaced. Never use the cloth covered hose, just go to the F.L.A.P.S. and get, I.I.R.C., 20 feet, of 5/16 inch hose. Just standard stuff, nothing fancy. The crimps on the injectors are the hardiest to get off, I used a chisel and a framing hammer, plus a hack saw. Took two days, but now I never have to do it again.

On the hose clamps, check to be sure you have the band style, not the ones with holes and teeth, sometimes called worm drive. If you do, pick up the F.I./band clamps with the hose. The latter will not damage the hose like the former.

Oh, and while at it, pick up the proper F.I. filter, and replace your old one.

norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will do. this was not a field find. it was a well loved daily driver with a bad engine. i did an inspection on all the fuel lines at the pump. they all look great. i will replace all the lines under the hatch when i swap the motor out this weekend. thanks for the tips. im a true beleiver in replacing fuel lines to avoid fires. consider those all replaced.
look back for more progress and more pics in the weeks to come.
luckily this baby just needs a motor and TLC. super clean, and itching to be driven again Cool

im also looking for another Four J Motors plate frame to match the one that was on it. to all you LA area guys, keep your eyes peeled

thanks, mike
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from Santa Rosa.
Thanks to "The Fish", who is parting out a rust 71 square, i scored a nice running longblock with oil cooler, dash pad, the plasic piece that goes between the dash and steering column, window regulator, wing window frame, driver mirror and door trim. total cost, 300 bucks and a nice drive. got to swing by and see VWluver74 while i was in town.
The Fish also threw in a pair of Ron Proce VW plate frames that was on the square. Im putting those on my Thing
Nice guy, very cool. Thanks, Fish. see you around.
now i gotto go install some stuff Cool

Mike
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
norcalvw wrote:

thanks, mike

Late for bed, but you did something nice, so now I get to return it.

The puddle is most likely from the injector hoses, which are never replaced. Never use the cloth covered hose, just go to the F.L.A.P.S. and get, I.I.R.C., 20 feet, of 5/16 inch hose. Just standard stuff, nothing fancy.

Yup, you were powering up the fuel pump for 1 tp 2 seconds every time you cycled the key from off to on. This is a good way to find fuel leaks though, as you've found. Adriel's right, get 20 feet of standard 5/16ths fuel hose and replace them all so we don't have to hear about your car burning up.

Adriel Rowley wrote:
The crimps on the injectors are the hardiest to get off, I used a chisel and a framing hammer, plus a hack saw. Took two days, but now I never have to do it again.

I used a die grinder with a thin cut off wheel. It took about a minute each, and I did a bunch of them for testing in 15 minutes. Cool Phil has a really nice drawing of where to cut, and how the hose is attached to an injector.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks bob. yeah, i dont mess around with fuel leaks.
when the motor goes back in, every fuel line will be replaced reguardless.
im also have the injectors cleaned and flowtested by witchhunter. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: