Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 74 rebuild (in progress - WITH PICS!)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
benCarn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulski wrote:
I owned one of these for a while. Was a really nice eye catching orange which looked great in the sun as it contained a gold pearl in it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Did some research...seems that the color in the picture is electric orange only available in Europe.

I guess I have to stick to my original choice.

Ben
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4050506#4050506
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paulski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benCarn wrote:

Did some research...seems that the color in the picture is electric orange only available in Europe.

I guess I have to stick to my original choice.

Ben

Bugger, sorry about that, forgot that ford didn't sell those in the states. The paint code is 6FSE and its made by dupont, don't know if it would be worth contacting a dupont outlet to see if they can mix it up? One thing to bear in mind is that a mate of mine sprayed a car that colour and was told to use a tinted yellow primer. Apparently orange doesn't cover fantastically well - don't know how true this is, just what he was told.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive actually got 2 tins of that same colour paint that i was gonna paint my bug in but still unsure as its just such a loud colour
mine has the yellow/gold pearl but also a red flip mixed in too, would be a nightmare to touch up
benCarn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulski wrote:

Bugger, sorry about that, forgot that ford didn't sell those in the states. The paint code is 6FSE and its made by dupont, don't know if it would be worth contacting a dupont outlet to see if they can mix it up? One thing to bear in mind is that a mate of mine sprayed a car that colour and was told to use a tinted yellow primer. Apparently orange doesn't cover fantastically well - don't know how true this is, just what he was told.

Thanks for the code, I'll give Dupont a call and see about that paint mix. The yellow tint underneath seems to make a little sense. Thanks again!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
benCarn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buggin_74 wrote:
Ive actually got 2 tins of that same colour paint that i was gonna paint my bug in but still unsure as its just such a loud colour
mine has the yellow/gold pearl but also a red flip mixed in too, would be a nightmare to touch up

It is pretty loud isnt it?!? Very Happy EXACTLY what I'm lookin for. DO it! hehe I'm going to try my best to get a shade that color. I was lookin at the House of Kolor line, they have a couple shades that are similiar. Still not 100% on HoK just yet. Confused
paulski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the concerns you have about house of kolour?

I've seen some pretty amazing cars done in their paint

HOK Cocoa

HOK Pagan Gold

benCarn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulski wrote:
What are the concerns you have about house of kolour?

I've seen some pretty amazing cars done in their paint

HOK Cocoa

HOK Pagan Gold

Sweet rides!

My only concern is $$$ It'll be about $900.00 for all of the stuff im gonna need for my paint from HoK. It'll just take me an extra month to gather the funds if I do go with them...otherwise their paint is amazing!
paulski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh that makes sense now. I understand where you are coming from. The other concern with it i guess is that i wouldn't want to give it to any old auto repair place due to the cost of the paint, so then you are looking at more dollars to get the right person for the job.
benCarn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulski wrote:
Ahhh that makes sense now. I understand where you are coming from. The other concern with it i guess is that i wouldn't want to give it to any old auto repair place due to the cost of the paint, so then you are looking at more dollars to get the right person for the job.

I'm going to actually paint it myself....which is why I commented on that other thread about the HF turbine LOL!!! I cant see myself shooting $900.00 worth of paint and supplies from a $40.00 system. lol Laughing
Bocho67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got my paint from them to...
Black cherry.

in the shade...

SwitchThrottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....that Black Cherry is stunning. Very cool. A buddy of mine works in a body shop as a paint guy and has access to all sorts of colors. I wanted to paint a jeep metallic orange with a red pearl clear. Inspiration came from a chopper Jesse James did in his early days on Discovery (it was a beautiful mix of orange with candy apple green accents). Their paint is amazing.

EDIT: This may have been the one...

benCarn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Covert '74 std bumper to Blade bumper Reply with quote

Ok, so I decided to tackle the bumper bracket conversion for my 74 std. Just cant get down with those big shock bumpers. So before we get into a huge conversation about safety and protection, I am well aware of the dangers. Im pretty sure that if my 74 is rollin at 65 mph the stock bumpers aren't going to protect me much more than these guys. So lets not get into that ok? PLEASE? Thanks! Now enjoy the fun.

Let me begin by saying that the front fenders will without a doubt have to be either welded to accept these brackets or you will have to get fenders from an earlier year. Me, I just decided to go with fiberglass ones instead. So much simpler. She's not gonna be a show car so it didn't really matter to me. The fenders should be here in about a week or so, I'll throw them on when I get em to see how it all lines up. Don't give me a hard time about my welds either....it's been on hell of a long time since high school metal shop class. Sad

I used a small old school arc welder that my father in law gave me. It's a 115 volt 50 Amp jobby. I think you can get one from HF for cheap. I had this one lying around and decided to give it a go.

Right now I just have 1 bolt in the bracket to the body just to see how it lined up. Looks pretty straight so far. When the fenders come in and I get the holes made and lined up, I 'll weld 1 more bracket to each side so the bumper cant move up and down on that 1 bolt pivot.

Not too bad if I must say so myself.

Positive and negative comments welcomed...no safety ones though. Wink
benCarn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got the fiberglass fenders in this weekend from Glass-action. Not bad, but not good either. lots of little blemishes and pits. The mold was a bit off, but good thing these guys are a little bit flexible. After mounting the drivers side first, the passenger side went on a lot easier.

Now, the early bumper blade on the late model. I measured the height with some jack stands to see how low or high I would go. I think it sits pretty well where I decided to place them. In the final pic, the bracket is not bolted to the body yet, its just setting in the holes in the fenders. I have to make some mods to the bracket, but not a big deal at all. I should have it done tonight. hopefully! Have a looksy.

I love the way she looks here! Very Happy

Weezo182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good man, i just picked up a 74 today (my first VW) and cant wait to get to work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
benCarn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weezo182 wrote:
looking good man, i just picked up a 74 today (my first VW) and cant wait to get to work.

Sweet...post up some picks! Very Happy
benCarn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is..the final product. Smile

The bumper mounts are done. Very Happy

Shes beautiful! Notice on the drivers side fender where glass-action filled in the original bumper mount holes from the mold. I'll have to go back and get that all smoothed out before paint. lame!

Not too far out, not too close. Just right.

Notice I had to remove the horn mount...no problem, I'll move it back and up just a bit. Plus I have to close that hole I made when cutting it out. Embarassed

benCarn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped my Trans so I could replace the mounts and found it a little caked on crud. Not too bad though. Thanks to samba guru Bruce, I'll be replacing one of the gaskets where the nose cone sits. Otherwise the trans looks in great shape overall. Also found the Trans to body seal is torn, so I'll be replacing that as well. Smile

Last edited by benCarn on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:50 am; edited 2 times in total
benCarn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got a chance to clean up the trans a lil bit so I can replace the nose gasket. Didnt turn out too bad, then again, I didnt steam it either.

Under the luggage compartment isnt bad at all. I'll clean it up and Ospho it up. Not sure if Im gonna rhino line it or just throw some paint over the Oshpo. The heater air connector tubes are a bit beat up. The drivers side is chipped pretty badly and the passenger side is completely broken flush with the body. I'll need to replace those with some new ones.

Here is the original from factory Shiftrod Coupling. Still in perfect shape after 36 years. I expected to find it all gone and metal to metal...but turned out to be very nice. Very Happy

Cant say the same thing for the Shiftrod Bushing. This is all that's left of the original. It's all good....I ordered one the other day from CIP. It's on the UPS truck and out for delivery today anyways.

MSmethers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benCarn wrote:

I had this in mind! What do you think?

Great job and progress so far!

so what color is this? I'm looking to paint a Datsun Roadster, and that's the color I've been looking for. Nissan Murano? or Honda Pilot? Both have colors very similar.

Thanks
Marshal
benCarn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSmethers wrote:
so what color is this? I'm looking to paint a Datsun Roadster, and that's the color I've been looking for. Nissan Murano? or Honda Pilot? Both have colors very similar.

Thanks
Marshal

Thanks Marshal,

I cant remember exactly which one it was but its one of these colors on here.

http://www.houseofkolor.com/speedshapes/speedshapes_shimrin.jsp
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: