Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

165R15 where?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
58rog59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: 165R15 where? Reply with quote

I am looking for one Michelin 165R 15 blackwall.

Where can I buy one?

Thanks,

rog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://store.coker.com/165sr15-michelin-xzx.html

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58rog59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: 165R15 where? Reply with quote

Wow...thanks Glenn.

I had looked at the Coker site and only saw white walls.

rog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cliff@BrownBags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get them from ebay for half that price. i think mine were 160 for two shipped. something like that.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragrocker wrote:
you can get them from ebay for half that price. i think mine were 160 for two shipped. something like that.

But what is the date code on those ones on Ebay??
I bought a car with XZX's on it, and when I started driving it, they started cracking, and I finally blew one.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cliff@BrownBags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm now i have to check in the am..thanks for the heads up
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discount Tire
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vwluver74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
dragrocker wrote:

But what is the date code on those ones on Ebay??
I bought a car with XZX's on it, and when I started driving it, they started cracking, and I finally blew one.

We used to run michelins on our pickups and bigrigs/trailers. The damn things weren't even a year old before the sidewalls cracked. Michelin refused to do anything about it. We lost a few fenders and clearance lights before we shitcanned them and bought Goodyear.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fleet I manage recaps 2500 tires and purchases 1000 new tires a year.The michelin X casing (same design as the 165r15 only bigger) ,michelin mrt caps and new michelin XZA4 steers were used due to a fleet purchase agreement with michelin..they are masters at backroom specials to keep their truck tire volumes up.Over the last few years Ive came to some conclusions about michelin tires, having integrated toyo and yokohama tires into the fleet as well.Your buying Michelin for the name... the results of the fleet testing Ive done proves toyo especially to be head and shoulders above michelin in case life and tread design and durability...at a cheaper price too when bought nationally.The yokohama faired well also.Ive heard through my sources that some of the chinese/korean tires are holding up well...Kumho,hankook and double coin are proving themselves in fleet applications.Tire manufacturers are blurring the lines as well..michelin owns 30% of hankook for instance ,and most of the tooling for the chinese tires comes from here,the same basic tooling used by all the makers.My advice? buy tires on price...you may not be buying quality when paying more...just a name on a sidewall
Stuggi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that if you specify 165R15 nobody knows what you're talking about. Say 165/80R15 (or was it 165/85R15, can't remember), then they suddenly start finding tires... Very Happy

Orange VW Fest!
Pulled out of a Lake Fest!
AndrewStapp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

165/80R15 is the closest thing you can get in a replacement market tire these days. Aside from reproduction tire, like Coker sells, and they are expensive. Make sure to check the DOT number for date codes, older than 5 years on the shelf is asking for trouble.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/11/AR2009091103957_pf.html

better buy your tires now...
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride on Korean and USA tires.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tariffs on the chinese tires will raise the prices on all tires. Never expect a business not to increase their prices when they can. When your raise the price through tariffs on one segment of the market it allows the other segments to increase theirs as well...purely for the profit.
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewStapp wrote:
165/80R15 is the closest thing you can get in a replacement market tire these days. Aside from reproduction tire, like Coker sells, and they are expensive. Make sure to check the DOT number for date codes, older than 5 years on the shelf is asking for trouble.

I found a set of 5 Nexen 165/80/15's for a total of $250. Great tires and they were less than 6 months old when I took delivery of them. After reading about the date code info, I check every tire before I buy them.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
KingWeazle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: 165R15 Reply with quote

on the subject of stock tires what is the maximum width you can put on a stock rim ? More selections if you can go 185 without sacrificing saftey, no ? Cheaper too.
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 165R15 Reply with quote

KingWeazle wrote:
on the subject of stock tires what is the maximum width you can put on a stock rim ? More selections if you can go 185 without sacrificing saftey, no ? Cheaper too.

I run 195's on my 4.5" wide wheels with no problems...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 165R15 Reply with quote

[quote="blankmange"

I run 195's on my 4.5" wide wheels with no problems...[/quote

195 what? 80?

Thanks Dan
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Bierboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 165R15 Reply with quote

KingWeazle wrote:

I had 225s on the rear stock rims of my Beetle until I got rid of them and installed 165R15 Coker whitewalls.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: