Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40HP question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: 40HP question Reply with quote

i just picked up a 64 beetle w/ a 1200cc 40hp engine. i got it running but it sounds like it has a loose head. none of my vw books go back that early so here's my question.

is the head tourque the same as a 1600? if no. whats the proper tourque.

whats the valve clearence so i can adjust the valves?
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going to pull the heads off and have a look right? If it has had a loose head, you need to make sure the mating surface between head and cylinder is OK.

If you just torque them down and there is not a good clean mating surface, you will have wasted your time and might torch a head or a cylinder.

If you need to clean up that surface, you can use a dab of valve grinding compound and just work the cylinder around for a bit.

Sorry I'm not able to check my books for you to answer your question right now, but I'll try latter if no one else has chimed in.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hover your mouse on the "Technical" button above. Up will pop a list. Left click on "Manuals". Next webpage select "Misc. Manuals & Instructions". The next webpage check out the "Without Guesswork" manuals there for torque values.
If the heads are loose you really should retorque ALL the engine fasteners in same sequence as if you were rebuilding it. Simply amazing how loose the main case studs and the nuts and bolts around the case halves can get!!!
nirahlee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what were the symptoms that you might have a loose head?
FINEGERMANSTEEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 HORSES OF POWER HA. Cool I JUST COMPLETELY REBUILT MY EARLY 40H AND HOPEFULLY PUTTIN IN MY 61 TOMARROW! BUT CANT RECALL TORQUE SPECS ON HEADS. Wink
65 bus project_sadly sold it
66 squareback project..in process..kinda
--CultWagen--slowlow61
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same as later 10mm head studs - the final torque pattern is at 22-23 ft lbs.

Now though, as mentioned, just tightening a loose head might not help out a whole lot. I've seen 40HP engines pull the lower studs right out of the block before too. You can get those "fixit" studs that are an alternate pitch, slightly larger self-tapping thread that will usually work in a pinch if that happens.

Now valve adjustment on 40HP.... depends on the type of rocker gear you have. I'm not going to repeat myself on that topic, instead I'll point you at this thread where it's thoroughly discussed:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103248&

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same as later 10mm head studs - the final torque pattern is at 22-23 ft lbs.

Now though, as mentioned, just tightening a loose head might not help out a whole lot. I've seen 40HP engines pull the lower studs right out of the block before too. You can get those "fixit" studs that are an alternate pitch, slightly larger self-tapping thread that will usually work in a pinch if that happens.

Now valve adjustment on 40HP.... depends on the type of rocker gear you have. I'm not going to repeat myself on that topic, instead I'll point you at this thread where it's thoroughly discussed:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103248&

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: