Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body shop Denver
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Body shop Denver Reply with quote

Anyone know a good body shop in the Denver-Boulder area? I want to get a few things cleaned up on my Syncro and don't know any shops in the area. I thought about taking it up to Rocky Mountain Westy and having them do it, might have to buy one of their rear bumpers at the same time if I do that though…

Thanks,
Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wsb-unclebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Denver Autobody shop Reply with quote

Hello,
Have you heard of/checked out Absolute Auto Care 303.806.0086??

The guy who owns the place and does most the work is named Steve, (I'm only 95% sure Absolute in the name of the place but the guys name is Steve, so if there's a Steve there you've probably got the right place).

Anyway, he does a lot of work on classic BMW's and other collector "type" cars. I had him repair a fender on my M3. He repaired the fender for $300 and my car looks perfect. I've also seen at least two other BMW's he done full strip down paint jobs on. Both were excellent. One word of caution is that it's more or less a one man show so give him plenty of time.

All in all, highly recommended and I honestly wouldn't take a car that I care about to anyone else.

BTW...if the name and # above isn't Steve let me know and I'll get you the correct number...I know I have it at home.

jeff D
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Rocky Mountain Westy Reply with quote

For specialized Vanagon work, I'm pretty convinced by Rocky Mountain Westy, I've seen a lot of their restoration projects. The Labate brothers have been working with considerable enthusiasm on Vanagon bodies, and their plant up in Fort Collins is really quite impressive.

My thought is to turn 'em loose on Winston this winter, for a de-denting, and a painting. I'm going to their campout this weekend, in fact, hope to find some time to talk about the project.

There ARE good bodyshops in Denver, but Vanagons are weird, and someone who does good bodywork and who knows much about Vanagons strikes me as the person to which to take the van.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:

There ARE good bodyshops in Denver, but Vanagons are weird, and someone who does good bodywork and who knows much about Vanagons strikes me as the person to which to take the van.

Best!

That was my thought too, wanted to see if there was someone close since this is my daily driver and I'll probably be on bike while at the shop. I have a little seam problem on the right rear fender and maybe right below the drivers door. Wanted to see how much it would be to fix before they become big problems. I'll have to give RM Westy a call next week after the camp out.

Paul
thewump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been VERY happy with some work Fairfax Collision did on my Porsche although it is in the Tech Center area. When doing insurance work I use Stutgard, but when paying myself I use Fairfax Collision. Was referred to them by my friendly insurance agent.

Another option, which might surprise you is a Macco in Commerce City. They do a LOT of work for a local VW bus restorer and I've seen some buses come back and they look really hot and the prices sound very good. The vw guy says they are fine with the older stuff, unlike many body shops.

I could get that address for you if you "Macco in commerce city" in google doesn't find something definitive.

Keifer.
larrytrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perry & Terry did a great job pulling body out, then ruined it with an off color paint job...I had no time to spend complaining had to get back east in a hurry. Very disappointed!!!
JUST SOLD HER, WESTYLESS!
Good by cruel world!
thewump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to hijack the thread, but there seem to be lots of people here in the Denver area. Do you guys have a formal way of getting together? Any online resources?

Keifer
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: VWOTG Reply with quote

Quote:
Not to hijack the thread, but there seem to be lots of people here in the Denver area. Do you guys have a formal way of getting together? Any online resources?

A lot of us meet up at least once a year at VW's on the Green, held in late May at Clement Park near Littleton. We had quite a Vanagon caravan there this year.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wouldn't be averse to a local 'Denver/Boulder Meet' at some nice park where we could just... Park... Show off our vans, and maybe have a pleasant cookout. I even know a very good place, although it's a bit far South and there's no... alcohol... allowed...

Crying or Very sad

Here's the nice group that holds VW's on the Green:

http://vwecol.org/

Not quite as Vanagon-oriented as we are here, but a good bunch. In fact, at the raffle, after two years of getting nothing, THIS time, I got jack:

As displayed by my girlfriend, the lovely and talented Barb. You can look at the many Volkskeriffic photos I took of this year's and last year's event here:

http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff249/msinabottle/

Ignore the bondage hamster.

Shocked

Best!
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewump wrote:
Another option, which might surprise you is a Macco in Commerce City. They do a LOT of work for a local VW bus restorer and I've seen some buses come back and they look really hot and the prices sound very good. The vw guy says they are fine with the older stuff, unlike many body shops.

I could get that address for you if you "Macco in commerce city" in google doesn't find something definitive.

Keifer.

Oddly enough, I have also heard this about Maaco in Commerce City from a couple of different sources. I have not used them myself, though.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: 2015 -> any recent autobody experiences in Denver area? Reply with quote

I'm bumping this thread up after 6 years... I'm looking for any recent, good or bad experiences with Vanagon-friendly auto-body shops in the Denver area. Thanks!
Rocky Mountain Westy kit
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your budget and what are your long term plans for the Syncro? How much rust and bodywork do you need done? Post some pics. I know many body shops.
Denver Vans should Meet up. Isn't there a thread for that?
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVOID, Super Auto Body in commerce city!!! They say they know Vanagons, but they dont. Paint quality was poor (orange peel). Seams were not properly addressed as they say they would and started rusting again with in a month. They would not correct the problem. They spent more time on the fluff to make it appear better than the job they actually did. On top of it all, they painted my van a different white than stock.

Give these guys a wide berth.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BavarianWrench wrote:
What is your budget and what are your long term plans for the Syncro? How much rust and bodywork do you need done? Post some pics. I know many body shops.
Denver Vans should Meet up. Isn't there a thread for that?

Hi!

Long-term, re-paint whole body.

Short-term I need my rear passenger-side fender fixed ASAP.

It leaks water because the seam was compromised when the damage occurred. You may be able to see I've already pulled, dremelled, and sanded out all the seam around the fender (I actually did every seam in my van). That said, I don't want to finish my seam work on that fender and then later have this banged out, loosening up the nice seam work I did. So, I am hoping to find someone who can pull/bang it back into shape and only minimally use putty/bondo on it, then prime it. I already have OEM paint from PaintScratch to touch it up afterwards. I'd pay for a pro-job on the paint too though. I plan to sand out the rust myself just to be confident it is all gone before the body work. At a minimum, I'm looking for a professional's touch on the fender body work + prime. I'd paint it myself with the touch-up paint later or have them do that too - sometime after I put the seams in place.

Rocky Mountain Westy kit
coclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:
AVOID, Super Auto Body in commerce city!!! They say they know Vanagons, but they dont. Paint quality was poor (orange peel). Seams were not properly addressed as they say they would and started rusting again with in a month. They would not correct the problem. They spent more time on the fluff to make it appear better than the job they actually did. On top of it all, they painted my van a different white than stock.

Give these guys a wide berth.

Good to know. Thanks for the feedback
Rocky Mountain Westy kit
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Nowhere Better Reply with quote

I can't send you to anyone better or more trustworthy than Wheels of Time. Have a look at my 'Winston Wehabilitated' thread for play by play details and costs.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=547860

Best!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: