Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VE/Subaru Purge Valve Compatibility
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
artvandelay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: VE/Subaru Purge Valve Compatibility Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I live in California and I just brought my vehicle to be smog checked and it failed due to a visual inspection, but passed emissions and functional tests.

One of the things that I need to address is the purge valve. My vehicle has a Subaru engine swap and the inspector said that purge valve from the Subaru system needs to be replaced with the original VW valve and original lines. He was under the impression that these were easy fixes.

I brought the van to my local shop but they were confused because they said it would be W valve might not work with the Subaru computer.

I brought the van to my local shop but they were confused because they said the VW might not work with the Subaru computer...

Does anyone have guidance?
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VE/Subaru Purge Valve Compatibility Reply with quote

If your 2.2 is from a '93 it should a "ported" vacuum port on top of the throttle body. There should be a letter "C" cast beside it. The ported vacuum port only has vacuum present when at part throttle. No vacuum at idle or high engine loads. If you want to hook the purge circuit up with the VW parts, the ported vacuum source goes to the small nipple on top of the VW purge valve. The larger port on the side of the VW purge valve connects to the charcoal canister, and the large nipple on bottom goes to your intake manifold nipple with manifold vacuum (vacuum whenever the engine is running). The ported vacuum signal will open the valve allowing fuel vapours to go from the canister to the intake and be burned as you drive. Functioning as it did in the van originally. For the Subaru purge valve, you can leave the harness connected and the ECM will be happy and think its still in control of purge. Just disconnect the vacuum hoses and cap them at the valve to keep debris out of it in case you ever need it again. On my '96 Subaru 2.2 I didn't have the ported vacuum nipple that my '92 had. So I'm using the Subaru purge solenoid valve and have eliminated the VW valve. Hope that helps.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VE/Subaru Purge Valve Compatibility Reply with quote

Here is a diagram from Kennedy showing you what jordauto is basically recommending:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: