Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can an input shaft be replaced when going from T1 to T4?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend a correct input shaft, and use the pilot bearing that is already in the end of the crankshaft of your new donor engine. It is new, by the way . . . as of May 10th.
Colin

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
I recommend a correct input shaft, and use the pilot bearing that is already in the end of the crankshaft of your new donor engine. It is new, by the way . . . as of May 10th.
Colin

Hey Colin,

Thanks for your "input" Smile

I'm working on sourcing an input shaft and hopefully will have one soon. There's a slight possibility the one I have was never shortened, but I don't want to take chances.

By the way - I sent you a message on the IAC forums. Did you receive it?

- Joe
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone describe the safest way to go about exchanging the input shaft? I sourced a proper one for the swap tomorrow.

Thanks in advance
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drain the oil. unbolt the ring of bolts in the bell housing don't miss the four on the bottom. slide off check the back of the bell housing where the shaft gos thought see if the steal sleve that is there is not lose. take a long pair of snapring plier's and move the snapring down the shaft just far enuff to pull the gear free from its mate no more. reach in with a hook and pull the gear to you the the snapring was retaining. then unscrew the shaft. Now when you put the snapring back in place it may spin freely on the shaft this is not good you will have to remove the shaft again and take the snapring off pinch it with a pair of pliers and reinstall so its snug. I will post some photos of this job later today right now I have to somehow push a dead van though the snow in my shop by myself.
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbore wrote:
Drain the oil. unbolt the ring of bolts in the bell housing don't miss the four on the bottom. slide off check the back of the bell housing where the shaft gos thought see if the steal sleve that is there is not lose. take a long pair of snapring plier's and move the snapring down the shaft just far enuff to pull the gear free from its mate no more. reach in with a hook and pull the gear to you the the snapring was retaining. then unscrew the shaft. Now when you put the snapring back in place it may spin freely on the shaft this is not good you will have to remove the shaft again and take the snapring off pinch it with a pair of pliers and reinstall so its snug. I will post some photos of this job later today right now I have to somehow push a dead van though the snow in my shop by myself.

Mike, you rock. Thanks a lot for helping out. Wish I could help you push that van in return!

I'll print these out and make sure to have them with me tomorrow.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Remove Input Shaft Reply with quote

Ok Iam back here we go. pull bell housing.

check this piece make sure its not lose.

this is a trany just for parts and for training Wink Iam good but not a miracle worker. pull this snap ring but only far enuff to get the gear slide back then unscrew the shaft.

this snap ring is bad for being lose most likely you will have to pull it off and fix it.

yep a photo is worth a thousand words.
now reinstall you may have to do this to the snap ring more then once. when its right it will be snug on the shaft not rattley lose if it is it can come off and then you will be back in there or replacing the trany. it's most likely it will not be real tight on there just not rattly lose.
heres what my shop looks like tonight its 6 degree out tonight and my wife TT must be in so it's under my lateist buy a 69 single cab. I did get my customer's vanagon started now it's R&R the heater blower it only take's about 6 hours to change. It's going to be a late night. Shocked

RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Mike!

I pulled some diagrams off of Ratwell earlier, but they weren't nearly as detailed as this.

Thanks again for taking time to post those up even though you've got a busy night ahead of you. It's greatly appreciated and I hope others can also find these useful in the future.

I'll report back tomorrow and let you know how it went.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: