Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My First 1973 VW Thing Germany
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuscazul72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 8:17 pm    Post subject: My First 1973 VW Thing Germany Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm in love with Volkswagens and now I bought my first Thing. The car needs a lot of body shop but it has a future.

I hope to count on the help of the group here to ask questions. My biggest challenge now is to get some parts because I live in Brazil and there are no Thing's parts available here.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But I have faith that with patience he will soon return to the streets...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My First 1973 VW Thing Germany Reply with quote

Suscribe to my youtube chanel. Yours appear to be an early '73 very likely you have the same transmission as I do on my 72 which has gear reducction boxes, instead of the CVJ as in late 73s and forward.

I've been restoring mine for years, Yes, You will have trouble with some 181 specific parts, but most parts come from Type 1 (Fusca) Type 2 (Kombi) and some type 3.

The community will guide you.

181's are a rarity in Brazil, I spent 2 years in Sao Paulo and never saw one.

Let me know if I can help.

Regards

Francisco

https://youtube.com/@vw1816
fuscazul72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My First 1973 VW Thing Germany Reply with quote

Hey! I was already subscribed to your channel lol. Yes, mine is a 73 first series.

From what I researched it had the reductions in the rear like the vw kombi. I would even like to know your opinion about having a 181 with this gearshift system with reduction, regarding performance and noise level.

I even confess that I thought about changing the suspension to the newer system to have a better car to use on the streets. I have an old kombi with reductions and it is slow and noisy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My First 1973 VW Thing Germany Reply with quote

Yes, the transmision is the same as in the Type 2 (36mm, Small Nut Axle). Yes they are noisy, but I love mine, it is the original way it was designed and you can't beat the torque!!!. Not that I'm doing much off roading anyways, I mainly drive her in the summer to go to car shows and cruise nigths. I would not recomend to change the transmision to CVJs, it is major surgery, you have to change many things, you would end up spending more money in modifications than in fixing her the way she was made.

Glad to hear you are already a suscriber in YouTube, I have plenty of documentation, let me know if I can help. BTW, our Trans only came until 73 1/2 so they are more rare than the CVJ which came out from 73 1/2 forward.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: