Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Under Dash A/C
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldeschoolbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are in CT and need AC?

It's not neaded, it's just good to have.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's not in where we live that makes us require A/C, but were we intend on going...

This is true. I live in CT...for now. And it still gets 80-90 degrees here in the summer, I am far from the coast.

Quote:
Do you need "pantie warmers" too?

no, I imagine rear vent covers take care of that
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it's not in where we live that makes us require A/C, but were we intend on going...

I for one don't wish to trap my family in a rolling sweat lodge for a week at a time. I'd like for them to continue loving the bus as much as I do. That might require me to keep them comfortable.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Under Dash A/C Reply with quote

oldeschoolbus wrote:
already did a search so save your breathe

Are you kidding me?

You are in CT and need AC?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Open the Wind Wings.....and open the fresh air vents...sure I sweat a bit, but I'm driving a 37 yo bus...

Do you need "pantie warmers" too?
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opossum wrote: "There were three styles: overhead, found in standard buses; under dash or jump seat found in Westys. Any of these units will work in any bus, providing you have room."

Ummm... yeah, but if you mount up the overhead type in a sunroof bus, or a poptop Westy, the A/C evaporator housing allows very little headroom for the front seat occupants. AFAIK that is why the under-dash units are thought of by many folks as 'Westy' A/C units.

Gilmore's systems use the newer Sanden/Sankyo/etc-style compressors, which rob far less engine power and, therefore, don't trash the fuel mileage as badly. He has all the conversion pieces, whether you want to stay with R-12(freon) or convert to R134a. Either way, the newer compressor style is a neat upgrade to any baywindow's A/C.

For installation on a bus that did not previously have A/C, I'll bet that the old York or Tecumseh compressors require more extensive cutting (and sealing modifications) to the Type 4 tin also; another point in favor of the newer style A/C compressor.

Have fun.
68 Westy
(+ others)
oldeschoolbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Dash A/C Reply with quote

Opossum wrote:
oldeschoolbus wrote:
already did a search so save your breathe. I'm looking for some information about under dash a/c units. If anyone has one or knows of them I would greatly appreciate a few answers, thanks in advance Very Happy

I read somewhere that under dash A/C was only available from the factory on westfalia models. Does this mean that a non westy (kombi) can't have an under dash a/c installed in it?

I have also heard that running the a/c unit will take away power from the engine. is this true? How significant is it if so.

Can you just run the a/c unit as a fan (as in no cool air, just circulation)?

No U.S. bus or Westy came from the factory with A/C, they are all dealer installed. Most of the units were made in Texas. There were three styles: overhead, found in standard buses; under dash or jump seat found in Westys. Any of these units will work in any bus, providing you have room.
A modern compressor installed in an old system and charged with R134a refrigerant will work fine. The newer compressor puts a lot less drag on the engine. The drag is only noticeable at idle (idle should be increased slightly).
Yes, you can run the evaporator fans independent of the A/C.

thanks so much! This is exactly what I was looking for Very Happy
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Dash A/C Reply with quote

oldeschoolbus wrote:
already did a search so save your breathe. I'm looking for some information about under dash a/c units. If anyone has one or knows of them I would greatly appreciate a few answers, thanks in advance Very Happy

I read somewhere that under dash A/C was only available from the factory on westfalia models. Does this mean that a non westy (kombi) can't have an under dash a/c installed in it?

I have also heard that running the a/c unit will take away power from the engine. is this true? How significant is it if so.

No U.S. bus or Westy came from the factory with A/C, they are all dealer installed. Most of the units were made in Texas. There were three styles: overhead, found in standard buses; under dash or jump seat found in Westys. Any of these units will work in any bus, providing you have room.
A modern compressor installed in an old system and charged with R134a refrigerant will work fine. The newer compressor puts a lot less drag on the engine. The drag is only noticeable at idle (idle should be increased slightly).
Yes, you can run the evaporator fans independent of the A/C.
Virginia Whiteface (Opossum) the first VW
Camper Special Club Member
1973 Orange Westfalia Hard top, Original owner
oldeschoolbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken a look at this Ed Gilmore's site and supposedly his air conditioner is more effective, less straining on the engine and easier to set up? How much does one of those puppies set you back exactly?
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

You must not have searched very hard Laughing Wink

There have also been several "underdash" A/C related threads the past few weeks if you read back a few pages.

There is also some good reading in the Vanagon forum about A/C with similar info that applies to the Bay bus as far as the system and set up/retrofitting dealer installed components.

I always defer to Ed @ Gilmore ( as posted in many threads) for questions and answers... He knows his stuff.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are willing to spend once, get a good modern compressor. Yes, any compressor will require hp from your motor, just like a supercharger. The modern ones can require as little as 1/3hp...for a Bus I would think a larger one would be needed and that would require more. An A/C shop should be willing to help.

This subject gets brought up in the Type 3 forum and I would venture a guess that it does in the Type I as well. You may want to search in one of those.
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldeschoolbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Under Dash A/C Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: