Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building your Home / Shop, ect. recommendations
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DownRiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
My general manager bought a modular and put it on a full basement. Quite affordable and a very nice home,

I agree.
Drive the trucks in, slide them over, raise the roof, and push them together. From foundation to a house in a matter of hours. Pick your options and wait for delivery.

Save some cash and flex your skills with the finishing. bathrooms, kitchen, floors, walls, etc.

And then build a big ass pole barn on the back 40.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make my living as a carpenter so it may come as no surprise that I can't stand modular homes. This does not come from a "taking my job" standpoint, it comes from a "quality workmanship" standpoint. I have been in, worked on, and avoided many manufactured/modular homes in the past. Most are junk, and will actually lose value over time. The better ones, like you have proposed, will not save you money over a well built custom home, though they do go up fast. If time is a factor, they are worth considering.

I agree with the points made about finding the right builder for a house that is not "normal". Many builders just want to slap it together and stick some vinyl siding on it and drive away. Take your time though, and you will find that guy (or girl) that is in it for more than just the money. If you were moving to my area I would get you in touch with my boss. We do all kinds of weird stuff, It's fun, and challenging. Many of our projects have been very expensive, but many are just simple and elegant.

I really like that picture posted previously. As much as I love craftsman style houses, I like the modern lines of contemporary design, too. Any ideas what something like that costs per square foot?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If looking at a modular, take a tour of the factory with someone who knows. My GM did that and the thing is built very well. Quality materials, very good craftsmanship and a reasonalble price. The savings for a modular is that it is constructed in a controlled environment, materials, tools and staff are there when needed, which helps contain costs. No crews sitting around because the mason isn't done, or the trusses haven't shown up.

And as far as conventional houses, I have seen my share constructed by "professional" carpenters that were horrendous. My cousin used to subcontract for a very large builder in my area and was appalled at how low their standards were - the emphasis was to get them up fast and cheap. Not even implying that this is the rule. So, its not fair to group all modular or all conventional construction as great or junk, because quality varies all over the place in either.

Just think through what your needs are, then research your possible choices. Good luck.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a designer (graphics/signage/interiors) and working in a primarily commercial interior / architecture furm for the past 14yrs, I am well aware of the "cost of good design/architecture" and that you just can't go find Joe-blow for the "a-typical".
scott s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"16' x 40' with a flat roof" sounds a little too much like a mobile home to me. My first choice would be a stick built, but there are some nice pre-fab houses out there these days. It sounds like you're going to be settling down for a while, so resale value for modular/pre-fab/stick built isn't really a concern, I guess.

That one modern style cabin is sweet. I'm jonesing for a ~1500-1600sf Craftsman style house and a humongous garage out back. Or even a 5,000sf garage with a 1100 sf apartment above it!
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working in a garage attached to the living quarters, sucks. Wife/significant other will not like the aromas coming into the house when you are trying to solve a problem with a rich carb or what ever.
Plus, most insurance companies do not like to insure attached garages, if they are heated, and you are working in them.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if you've seen these guys before...probably have.
I think they are called "Alchemy Architects".
http://weehouse.com/flash/SFWA_index.html
powellscooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some good shop info here http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:
Don't know if you've seen these guys before...probably have.
I think they are called "Alchemy Architects".
http://weehouse.com/flash/SFWA_index.html

Very nice site- i love the "wee" gallery, that gives the container configuration / model view/ starting price all right there.
That barn house is freaking nice. too
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

powellscooter wrote:
some good shop info here http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

thanks for the link- some good info for sure.
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you know of this site?

www.fabprefab.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: