Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Race Bus / Fast Bus / Sleeper Bus **Info & Idea Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool...you could cruise up to 97221 and help me install it once I sell a kidney.
FG1732
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Europe is ahead of America when it comes to upgrades in respect to Type 2 speed, suspension, braking and the overall acceptance of the idea of modifying a bus to haul ass. To them, installing a wishbone suspension & rack and pinion with a turbo on a split bus is no big deal...in the States, people point their fingers and call you a outcast.

(photo courtesy of the manufacture Red9design out of the UK)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by FG1732 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just killer. Twisted Evil

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
Lohe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Electric Wizard wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

That looks badass! Razz

OH MY GOD!!!

Shocked

I'll take 2 please!
orb666
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly is - unless you want to run low...
I was all ready to have this fitted but once I saw it on a bus I didn't like how low the actual rack sat.

These have only been out a while and there has been a few teathing problems but it is a nice kit for sure and must make a bus handle great.

If you're interested then there's a whole thread here that details the entire fitting process (along with 350bhp of turbo engine!);

http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=55995

Orb
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
FG1732
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orb666 wrote:

If you're interested then there's a whole thread here that details the entire fitting process (along with 350bhp of turbo engine!); ...

http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=55995

Orb

As Orb said, there are more photos and a detailed write up on the red9design suspension at the ssvc.org above link, very informative.
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another way to go if you've got some 911 stuff laying around.
66' Singlecab with 3.6L Porsche power, suspension, and brakes. 288HP Stock. He's got it driving and will be dissassembled and restored once all the little weeds are worked out of it.
Belongs to Jack at 901 shop.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArtistAntonio wrote:
What kind of suspension setup do you have on that?

The turbo is behind the oil cooler?

I have a 4" narrowed front with Wolfgang spindles,BB adjusters , the rear is narrowed and I have a Rancho Pro Street. That is not an oil cooler you see in the back.........it's an intercooler.

It's not all here but you can have a look at my build thread or my website.

http://www.vvwc.ca/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5676
orb666
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbbugs wrote:

66' Singlecab with 3.6L Porsche power, suspension, and brakes. 288HP Stock. He's got it driving and will be dissassembled and restored once all the little weeds are worked out of it.

Nice - this looks similar to Jez Parsons bus over here in the UK.
Full 3.6l running gear and suspension front and back, powered steering, 911 big brembos - the list just keeps on going.

He also build the 3.2 engined samba that came 4th in the 05 Gumball 3000 - The same bus was clocked on a German autobahn (by the Police I believe!) at 145mph Shocked

http://www.gcsengineering.com/index.html
http://www.carreraperformance.com/

Orb
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad dog racing wrote:
Worlds Fastest Bus using Reduction Gear Boxes.
5th Fastest Bus in the World.

BOR 64 September 6, 2009
Sacramento Raceway

13.747 at 98.597mph

13.741 at 99.671mph

where are more pictures of this bus? i love it. Very Happy

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FG1732
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various years of VW buses racing on closed course, Treffen Hockenheim 2008

Link

Link
i_am_cool_fred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orb666 wrote:
jbbugs wrote:

Nice - this looks similar to Jez Parsons bus over here in the UK.
Full 3.6l running gear and suspension front and back, powered steering, 911 big brembos - the list just keeps on going.

He also build the 3.2 engined samba that came 4th in the 05 Gumball 3000 - The same bus was clocked on a German autobahn (by the Police I believe!) at 145mph Shocked

http://www.gcsengineering.com/index.html
http://www.carreraperformance.com/

Orb

is there a buildup thread on either of these??? especially the first one, i'm very curious as to how it all is done

Brian Denning, as seen on Gearz TV
boxrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

made it to Bonnville - barely. Here's the story

After busting my ass til 4 or 5 am for about two weeks straight, it was getting down to the wire. I was begging for parts from sponsors and friends. I try to focus on the necessary stuff first. It doesn't matter if it looks good if it doesn't run right? So I focus on tires, seat, wiring, motor, fire extinguisher, etc. If I had time I would work on body work and cosmetics, lights, dynamat, etc
Now the meet was suppose to start on Wednesday and go thru Saturday, but rain over the weekend threatened to end the whole meet. They watched the salt, it absorbed alot of water and started to dry out. The official word was the meet would start a day late on Thursday and go til Sunday. Sweet!, an extra day to get more stuff done. All day I would run around and get parts and supplies and all night I would install the parts I had aquired. Time was running out Thursday comes, still not ready. I figure I can leave later and do the meet Friday thru Sunday. Well, still not ready, so I figure it's more important to get it done and leave on Friday morning. By Thurday night at 4am, I realize it aint gonna happen. I don't have the front windows in or any of the side Lexan. The tranny cover/firewall piece isn't made, I don't have a air/fuel ratio guage and no boost guage. Without guages, no way to tune the engine properly and possibly hurt the motor. The 009 dist. wasn't locked out. Oh, and the problem of not having any money to get up there is another HUGE problem. I had a guy that was gonna buy a short block a week before I was suppose to leave. Money shouldn't be an issue. Well, he flaked out and left me scrambling to sell anything I could find to get some money for gas. Forget the race fees, it wasn't gonna happen. That's OK. I'm just gonna take the bus up there and cruise around the salt for two day and take awsome pics and video. Last minute, a buddy agrees to buy my trailer and paypals me enough money to cover gas and a little extra. I test drive the bus around the neighborhood and load it up. I don't leave til 2pm on Friday and don't get up to Wendover til about 10:30pm. I eat and look for other VW guys at the Peppermill and eventually head or the the bend-in-the-road to sleep in my SUV. I dont get to sleep til 2am, and get woke up at 6am with participants speeding by on the access road. I can't go back to sleep now, I might miss something. I get to the front of the line and ask for a two day pass, and the worker tells me they decided to end the event on Saturday!!! No Sunday, because there is not enough volunteers/workers to run the event. People have jobs to get back to by Monday morning. What a disappointment, I guess I get one day to absorbe the salt.
So, I park the truck/trailer past the pits and unload the bus. I get my cameras and take off to start my event coverage. As I'm driving I notice a bus following me, I recognize the bus from last years pics. I pulled over and introduced myself. His name was Craig and had his wife with him. He asked me if I was racing and needed to go to tech. I told him it wasn't ready and I was just there to spectate. He said "just take it over there and see what they say" at least get some advice for next year. So we head back to tech and I ask the tech guys to critique the bus and what else I need to run. Well, after a little discussion, they allowed the bus to get past tech. I had a cage, fire extinguisher, 4 point harness, helmet, long pants/shirt, and registration and insurance. I just happened to bring all the stuff, just in case something stupid happened and I was able to run. Well, it all fell together, and I was about to go racing, or at leastast cruising.
You got to remember, I just got this running a couple days before this, still didn't have the guages I wanted, no shocks, no firewall. So I wasn't gonna push it on a vehicle that hadn't been over 35mph yet. Not the way I wanted to do it, but who cares, I got the opportunity to run on the salt!!!! It really didn't matter how fast I was gonna go.

Run #1 - Just a shakedown. I was nervous as hell. The salt is still a little moist, and it is loose on top. It's solid like concrete under the top layer, but the top is loose. So, I get her started, wait, and get the go ahead. I start off kinda slow and just accelarate gradually because it's easy to spin your tires if you hit it too hard. The piece of shit sandrail shifter wont engage properly and gives me grief. I run out through the .2 then the .5 and then the 1 mile mark and then coast to the end and make the return back to the timing shack.I was given the slip and said 68mph through the mile mark. It actually felt pretty solid and straight, but knowing you are on a loose surface makes you ass grap the seat as you go faster. As I get the timing shack, the tach starts jumping around and the bus craps out. I try to restart and nothing. Craig comes to rescue me and two me back to the pits. We diagnose the MSD box or timing retard box is not working, so we reroute the wiring, put a bosch blue coil in, change out the plugs and she starts back up. We are on our way back to the start line.

Run #2 - I pull to the line, all of a sudden it starts running like it's on 3 cyls. I pull off the start and pull the valve cover. A pushrod had worked it's way out of the rocker adjuster cup. I figure I can fix it there if I had just a couple tools. So Craig and Justin bust out their limited tools and I make it work. Time is getting short. There is only an hour or so to run. I start it up and still alot of valve clatter. I figure the cam is going flat. It's the second time I've ran the valves and they keep getting loose. It's running, but not perfect. But your lust for speed overwrites your commen sense and I pull it up to the line again. I take off a little harder, grind some grears, and accelerate harder. I can definitely feel it's going much faster, but since we unhooked the MSD, I didn't have the tach working to tell how high it was reving. The previous 68mph run the motor was turning at 3200rpm, it was definitely going higher this time. My ass was puckering as it sped down the salt. Very cool and scary as hell. It felt like it could spin out at any moment. I get back to the timing shack and he gets me the slip....94mph!!! Super cool. Still only at maybe 3/4 throttle. Maybe 4200 to 4500 rpm (guess). Get back to the starting line and talk it over with the boys. They insist I have to go faster that 100mph, and I agree. I let her cool down for a few minutes. The course is going to close in about 45 mins.

Run #3 - I start it up and the valve are really making alot of noise. It's not as responsive as before. The cam is wearing away I figure. So, I'm gonna have to split the motor anyway, so lets machine the cam all the way down. I get going pretty hard, but it won't rev as high as before, but it's still pushing the bus well. As I get past the .5 it feels OK and then about half way to the mile mark it just lays down. It's loses power like a motor that is overheating or running out of fuel. I just coast to the end and turn back and it runs OK on the return road but the valves are geting louder. The time slip only gives me an 86mph. No suprise and no 100mph for me. I got beat buy 3 differnt 36hp competitors !!!! Loser. It wasn't just the motor, it's also the pilot. I need to man up, and get this thing to where it feels stable at speed.

Overall it was a great day. I got to run at the legenday Bonneville Speedway. I got three more runs than I thought I would get that day. I was surreal to be going down the salt. I will definiely be back. Better prepared, better looking, and higher speed. The first goal has always been the 130 mark. If we get that then to the 150 club and a run on the long course. Some day....

Just a side note. You too and run at Bonneville. On the 130 short course, you dont need to run 130 mph. You run your car as fast as it will go. You dont need a cage, flush windows, race motor, etc. You can take your car up there and run it too. You do need to have a coule things like a fire extinguisher, helmet, insurance/registration and a couple more things. It's very basic and ment to get people introduced to land speed racing. Look at the USFRA webiste and look at the rules for the 130mph club. It's a very short list. There was 7 VWs running at this meet, There should be many more. Make a plan to at least attend next year, but even better plan to run your VW. It's such a blast and so historical. Just do it.

I have many pics at http://volksarama.smugmug.com/Land-Speed-Racing/World-of-Speed-2009/9705111_PgUTe#656001708_Fpz2F

I have videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Volksarama

Please feel free share the pics and videos with all the forum boards you contribute to. Thanks, Derek

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orb666
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

is there a buildup thread on either of these??? especially the first one, i'm very curious as to how it all is done[/quote]

I don't think so but check out the website links - you'll get a fair bit of info there.
Jez does these conversions to customers buses (along with powered rack and anything to do with putting Porsche stuff under buses) so I don't think he will want to give away all his secrets.
I have spent more time looking under his bus that at it - it truly is a work of art under there, the subframe he makes to bolt all the 911 suspension to is amazing and his 911 engine installs just look like it was meant to be there alll along.

He is also the man when it come to rebuilding 911 motors, a friend of mine has a rebuilt 2.2 in his 67 911 which is making 190bhp Shocked - not bad for such a small motor

Orb
FG1732
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boxrod wrote:
made it to Bonnville

Nice detailed write up.

That beast sounds mean.
FG1732
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i_am_cool_fred wrote:
is there a buildup thread on either of these??? especially the first one, i'm very curious as to how it all is done

This is potentially that thread. Keep the information & ideas coming.
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Mr. Box.
That sounds like a blast!
I know you'll be ready next time...

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
FG1732
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Gumball 3000 Bus Reply with quote

The Gumball 3000 Bus

"This is a 1965 21 window deluxe Volkswagen Samba fitted with a 230hp Porsche 3.2 Carrera engine. Rear axle and suspension are from a 3.2 Carrera Porsche 915 gearbox. Engine is standard other than 50hp nitrous fitted. Front suspension is Porsche 3.2 Carrera fitted to bespoke subframe with modified struts with pegout steering rack and electric power steering pump. Brakes are servo assisted Porsche 993 4 pot calipers on the front; 3.2 carrera discs on the rear which are standard for 3.2 Carrera. The chassis has been strengthened and a strut brace fitted."

View the full write up and larger photos here -> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2342060
Bay74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm loving the reflection in this picture. Bus looks great man
FG1732
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: 1954 23 Barndoor Turbo RHD Reply with quote

1954 23 Window Barndoor Turbo RHD

Type 1 Aluminium case (machined by John Maher)

Scat 78.8 forged crank (supplied and balanced by Ian @ WPS)

Mahle 90.5 mm barrels

Engle TCS 10 camshaft

Scat lightweight lifters

Steel on Steel straight-cut cam gears

Double thrust cam bearings

Berg oil pump

Lightened flywheel

Berg "equalizer" pulley

CB Chrom-moly headstuds

chrom-moly pushrods

Berg pushrod tubes

CB 044 cylinder heads : 42x37.5mm valves (fully ported and

polished, semi-hemi cut, modified combustion chambers to give 66cc)

Scat forged 1.25:1 rockers (actually give 1.27:1)

CB bolt-up rocker shafts

Turbo spec Dellorto 40mm carbs (32mm chokes,30mm modulator rings)

CB performance turbo exhaust header

Schwitzer S2a Turbo

CB remote waste gate

009 Distributor with ignitor module Ignition advance set to 24o max!)

3 x Autometer 2" Guages (Presuure Temp Boost) Demon Tweaks carbon Guage pod

More information and detailed photos on this bus here -> http://www.stainsby.force9.co.uk/Your_Buses/1954_Andy_Carroll/andy_carrolls_54.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 22

Jump to: