Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.0 oil leak frustration
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldingbuilt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: 2.0 oil leak frustration Reply with quote

Hoping someone can help me figure out an oil leak that i cannot find out the cause of. 72 bus with a GD code 2.0, stock bottom end, 96mm jugs and flat top pistons. Engine runs great and bus drives great but am having oil being sprayed right around the bottom of the oil fill tube area, seems to hit the lower crossmember first, all around the tube and bottom of the exhaust. Obviously the first thing i figured was crank case pressure, i made sure the top vent was venting properly and connected to the breather, no change. I'm reading 160psi of compression on each cylinder and was told it was way to much for the engine and it couldn't handle the crank case pressure, so i went ahead and vented both valve covers and even the oil fill cap and i am still getting a leak, I'm just not seeing how 30-35psi more of compression is doing this but any input would help! The dipstick tube is brand new as well before someone asks. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 oil leak frustration Reply with quote

I'd give a quick look at the rubber dipstick tube boot.

Might be either cracked or torn at the clamp?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goldingbuilt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 oil leak frustration Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
I'd give a quick look at the rubber dipstick tube boot.

Might be either cracked or torn at the clamp?

Tube is brand new, tried two different ones and even clamped it, no different.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 oil leak frustration Reply with quote

Did you check where the filler tube bolts to the engine. A bit of a pain to do, but I replaced the gasket, which stopped my oil leak.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 oil leak frustration Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you check where the filler tube bolts to the engine. A bit of a pain to do, but I replaced the gasket, which stopped my oil leak.

Come to think of it, when I rebuilt my engine, mine leaked there.... Twice.
I ended up making my own gasket.

Worth a look.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 oil leak frustration Reply with quote

I just use silicone between the filler tube and the case.

How about some pictures of you crankcase ventilation system.

If you are not getting your engine warm in extreme cold weather ice can build up in the ventilation system and block it off. Any dips in the hoses that can fill with engine snot are a no-no.

The larger pistons could cause sharper pulses in the crankcase pressure, but the higher compression should have no effect.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 oil leak frustration Reply with quote

Is the thermostat pulley bolt installed?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 oil leak frustration Reply with quote

O-Ring behind the fan hub will cause a leak, usually blowing through the shroud.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goldingbuilt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 oil leak frustration Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

It is not.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 oil leak frustration Reply with quote

Goldingbuilt wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

It is not.

Put one in and see if the leak stops, many cases are open at the bottom of that hole.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Goldingbuilt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 oil leak frustration Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Goldingbuilt wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

It is not.

Put one in and see if the leak stops, many cases are open at the bottom of that hole.

Dude thank you so much! Put a light on that bolt hole and sure enough that was it! Wide open and now everything else makes sense lol now i can sleep better tonight Very Happy
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 oil leak frustration Reply with quote

Good job, Busdaddy! Dancing
Another success!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 oil leak frustration Reply with quote

Just thinking of the simple stuff first, it's the lazy guy in me Razz Wink

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 oil leak frustration Reply with quote

Ha! When I was much younger/dumber/strapped for cash, I was packing for a music festival when my friend showed up in his '73 puking oil out the same spot. I scarfed a tin screw off my bus engine, coated in in Sriracha Sauce and stuck it in. Never leaked again, but the sealant probably wasn't necessary. Cool

Music was great, too.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: