Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Single Stage or Base and Clear?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What type of paint should I use?
Single stage urethane
71%
 71%  [ 20 ]
Base coat and clear
28%
 28%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 28

Chazbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Single Stage or Base and Clear? Reply with quote

Hey folks, I'm coming up on the stage where I need to order some paint. The bus has been painted before, not a bad job but it comes off very easy and I can get down to the OG paint but can't resurrect it. So I need to order some paint. I've done both single and base/clear jobs before.

But in this case with my 70 Westy, Montana Rot, I don't want to put a base clear on it if its going to offend the bus gods and you folks. So do we have a preference? I'm trending away from the best advice of the folks at the body supply place who want me to go with base and clear......

Regards,
Charles
Very Happy
2VWs1BMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to use the bus, camping and such, go single stage.
'77 Westy w/156k mi
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Charles,
It's your bus so do what you like, I like the single stage look on a bus personally, it's also easier to patch if you chew it up on a camping trip.

But Montana red would be an awesome color in base/clear, show bus or go bus?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Chazbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its going to be a weekend traveler, a bus for me to sack in to get the first tee time and whatever. I do have a garage for it and its a solid body. I may do a few overnighters.
Rusty O'Toole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Factory paint was a rather drab single stage with no metallic. For the purist, that would be the choice.

Personally I find something offputting about non stock colors on a VW even though the stock colors are not particularly attractive.

I would like to see what base clear looks like in a factory color.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

single stage is really opaque, whereas base/clear has more "depth." i really think the depth hides the beautiful contours of the bus- these cars are like sex on wheels! i dont even want my bus to be shiny- the matte sheen makes the teen girls scream. somehow, for them, shiny is over the top, and the understated finish makes it cute.

best to stick with the factory colors, but you should pick the one you like rather than having any allegiance to the montana red.

if it has a lot of grey in it, then you are on the right track Laughing it's a cultivated taste, but once you get it, you will never turn back. 68-70 colors dont have enough grey IMO. my faves are niagara blue, mango green, etc. i think the grey is all part of the understated thing. good luck...

Last edited by Blaubus on Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in other words you're saying you're too lazy to wax your bus eh? Razz

If you read that the right way some may think you have a finish fetish Shocked

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its the girls who are screaming, but thats right Wink i do have an early bus fetish. if it was ugly and not aircooled i would have ditched the whole thing by now. yeah, ugly like the 411 sedan Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaKine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sprayed my bus last week with single stage acylic enamel. I'm pretty impressed with it and wouldn't hesitate to use it again. I buy my paint from these guys: www.tcpglobal.com .... $98 gal kit with reducer and hardener shipped.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the shop likely wants to use base/clear because it's easier for them. if there are any flaws in the paint - dust, runs - it is a lot easier to fix them with base/clear. i don't know how you'd ever get an original looking montana red with base clear.
Rusty O'Toole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dansvans wrote:
single stage is really opaque, whereas base/clear has more "depth." i really think the depth hides the beautiful contours of the bus- these cars are like sex on wheels! i dont even want my bus to be shiny- the matte sheen makes the teen girls scream. somehow, for them, shiny is over the top, and the understated finish makes it cute.

best to stick with the factory colors, but you should pick the one you like rather than having any allegiance to the montana red.

if it has a lot of grey in it, then you are on the right track Laughing it's a cultivated taste, but once you get it, you will never turn back. 68-70 colors dont have enough grey IMO. my faves are niagara blue, mango green, etc. i think the grey is all part of the understated thing. good luck...

Around my bus it's usually me doing the screaming and it's not because of the beautiful contours.

Where exactly are these beautiful contours?

I agree about the funny colors especially if you go back to the 50s. You could always tell if a VW had been repainted a non stock color. Their colors could not be mistaken for anyone else's.

All VW colors from the 50s thru the 70s seemed a little bit off, as if the guy who picked them out was a little bit color blind.
Chazbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow folks, I am impressed with the hearty response. Looks like single is the choice. Montana Rot is the original color. I just like to put them back to the way they looked. This one was born on 4/7/70 and we're gonna make it look that way. I'm not doing a complete gut and strip like the blue one above though.

Nice job on the blue splittie DaKine! A

And I'll try those folks for the single stage.

You guys are great!
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty O'Toole wrote:
dansvans wrote:

Where exactly are these beautiful contours?

I agree about the funny colors especially if you go back to the 50s. You could always tell if a VW had been repainted a non stock color. Their colors could not be mistaken for anyone else's.

All VW colors from the 50s thru the 70s seemed a little bit off, as if the guy who picked them out was a little bit color blind

really? you dont get it? it's... bulbous. you know- FAT CHICK. it's FAT!

go look at a chevy chevette, and then tell me the 50-71 bus aint a beautiful thing.

the intersection of contour and color is a very psychological thing, which is why certain colors dont work. the expanse and bulbous contours of the bus are a bit over the top, and need to be offset with complex and understated colors. this is also why two tone works well- it breaks up the expanse of body metal

Rusty O'Toole wrote:
Around my bus it's usually me doing the screaming and it's not because of the beautiful contours.

i dont scream- that's a girl thing. our job is to make them scream
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single stage acrylic enamel would be my choice. And definately no clear coat. My bug has a couple new small scrapes on a fender so I'll have to get out the air brush for some more easy repairs. Usually need to do it every 2 or 3 years to keep it in shape. Should have kept a road map of where all the touch ups have been since they can't be seen.
My bus is in red oxide primer and I prefer it that way. Absolutely do not want shiny glossy paint on it. However I would like to paint it the original Chiante Red that it was when I got it. But that was the dull faded Chiante Red, not the brilliant glossy original. Unfortunately, all the faded red has been covered up. Should have kept a sample such as a gas filler door or something that could be matched. Just have photos. Dead 1 has the original in a very beautiful new paint job. But I don't want want mine looking like a new shiny fire engine. HotRodFlatz has a quality flat paint that evidently can be custom mixed. As far as touch ups and repairs I'm not sure how it works out. But it sure won't need waxing.
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shop that did my paint job was going to use base/clear but then they could only get Ceylon Beige in single-stage paint - and I'm REALLY glad for it - I really like the single stage look.

And I have to agree about the stock VW colors - most just don't do it for me. Montana Red is nice though - I almost went with that but I have gray curtains and as a Michigan Wolverine I was not going to have a red bus with gray curtains...
Rusty O'Toole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one thing I can't quite figure out. VW buses look lower longer and sleeker in photographs than they do in person. Why this should be I don't know.
beetle98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went back and forth with this also. This was my first diy paint job ever. I finally went with bc/cc. i didnt go with stock colors either. I used the salsa red bottom from the 09 jetta and just bright white for the top. I think it looks pretty good. chad
Cell phone pics they kinda suck.

[/img]
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
the shop likely wants to use base/clear because it's easier for them. if there are any flaws in the paint - dust, runs - it is a lot easier to fix them with base/clear. i don't know how you'd ever get an original looking montana red with base clear.

yeah, but single stage is pretty easy to wet sand and buff out too if you have any runs or flaws...as also mentioned its pretty easy to touch up by respraying. I loved using the PPG paint and it matched the OEM perfectly.(thanks Scott for the color mix)..
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krautski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't regret a base and clear.

Quote:
I stopped reading after volksaru and busaru
thegoodfight7211
Samba Street Punk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty swell to me bro!

A+ Applause
kaiser wrote:

i figured you guys would appreciate the frugality of the homemade soap.

I like the idea but they'd go totally ape shiat over this in the Bay Window forum!

Bay window owners? Soap?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: