Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tachometer on a 1986 Syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I went and picked up the rest of the '85 cluster. I put my clock back in my old '86 unit, and the tach back in the '85 unit. I swapped speedos (the 2wd does not work in the syncro, and vise/versa). Once the '85 unit was all intact, I just plugged it in and started it up (you can drive the Vanagon without your cluster attached by the way). Anyway, the swap was just fine, aside from one issue, and I am wondering if the foil has been damaged...

The tach is acting like it has some interference. At idle speed, it bounces around 2-4k until I step on the gas, then it falls in line. Any ideas? Perhaps I have shorted something? Not a big deal because, it is awesome having the upgraded cluster and clock, but I would like to fix this if possible.

As I side note, I did not completely fasten down the cluster because I placed my superbrighled order last night WOOT WOOT!!!!!

I ordered:
- Speedo B8.3D-xHP Blue $2.59
- Tach B8.3D-xHP Blue $2.59
- Dummy B8.3D-xHP Blue $2.59 and B8.3D (Red-they had no HP in red)
- Clock B8.3D-xHP Soft white I think $2.59

- Locker Green B8.3D $1.59
- Decoupler Green B8.3D $1.59
- Front Locker Green B8.3D $1.59
- Environmental Blue 74-BHP $2.49

- Interior (2) 4210 High Power LED Festoon bulb warm white $7.00
- License plate (2) BA9s-xHP6-12V 6 $4.95
- Rear Running (2) BA9s-xHP6-12V (Red) $4.95

Very excited to get that all put together! Anyway, my speculation is that the pins are the same on 85-91 for the cluster? I think my issue is not related to any compatibility issue.

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well crap, I kind of threw things together and didn't notice that this pre-86 thing just does not work. In the end, the 4WD speedo has some hard wiring on the back that connects it to the circuit film (*edit* which means you must start with a 4WD speedo, and then you are stuck with that circuit film *edit*). And you need the 4WD SPEEDO for the syncro, as the 2WD registers double speed and other glitches. This means that the 4WD circuit film connected to the speedo has to sync with the tach (as you can see in the pics above, mine, originally with a clock, does not sync with the tach). If your 86+ van came with a tach than you can swap a new one in. The question is whether the 86+ circuit film is the same for clock and tach models. On my 86, that is not the case. ANyway, the moral of the story is, my LEDs are in, and they totally rule, but I have to sell that to someone with a 2WD and fetch myself the syncro style 86+. Bah! Pfffft!

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: