Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.8T conversion details?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher,

I've used your thread as a guideline to do my own AEB swap. It has been very helpful while planning and then during the execution. I've read and reread the entire thread multiple times, printing off the diagrams to reference. Thanks for all the help, it's been invaluable.

Last night I was wiring up the Relay/Fuse box using your diagram as my guide.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As I built it I realized why you have had to jumper the fuel pump relay to get the motor to start. I rung out the wiring to prove my theory. The large Black/Blue wire, marked in your diagram as feeding the Coil Packs, also feeds the ECU as switched power. Seen here in my Haynes Manual. (Sw/Bl represents Black/Blue in this diagram. The gray box with the connector TB0/1 represents the ECU).

Looking back at your diagram, the ECU isn't getting switched power until the relay it is connected to has been energized by the ECU. So the ECU thinks it is supposed to be off and it wouldn't (and probably couldn't) send a signal to turn itself on. It's memory is powered by the constant 12V (Red), but I believe it is in standby mode until the Blue/Black is hot. At this point it doesn't even know the ignition switch has been turned to run or start mode. The Haynes manual shows the Coils/ECU switched power feed comes directly off the ignition switch.

A quick fix to this diagram would be to swap the wires between the Injectors and the Coil feeds. If the ECU was fed off the Power Steering relay, it would be energized when the key is on, allowing it to send the signal to turn on your fuel pump relay. The Injectors should be fine grouped with the fuel pump as they wouldn't need to fire if there is no fuel.

I don't have my motor in the van yet so I can't test my theory, but I believe it is electrically sound.

Thanks again for this thread. I hope I have been able to contribute a little to it.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
japio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternative and correct version.
[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

japio wrote:

Yeah, that is the better solution as I found out while trying to start mine. The modification I showed above doesn't work. Your version should work good.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'74 Jeep CJ5
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these valves. it's got a vac switch, but I'm going to make a way to connect the cable pull on it.
this is the valve with vac switch removed.

the valve works like this

so you can see the heater circuit always flows regardless of weather the heat is turned on or not. this way if the heat is off all the coolant won't get sucked out of my pressure tank as the thermostat opens up. the circut should behave as if the heater is on all the time and for my setup, that would be even engine temps more or less all the time. and as I crack the valve for heat, it shouldn't affect anything as far as the engine needs are concerned.

this is a Ford valve I think. I can dig up my ebay purchase and post part #'s if you all are interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same seller. same valve.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEATER-CONTROL-VALVE-Ford-Explorer-Ranger-Aerostar-NEW-/200464464163
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

japio wrote:
[/img]

Thank you for correcting that diagram. I had been meaning to do that for a long time, but...

Crankey wrote:
I bought one of these valves. it's got a vac switch, but I'm going to make a way to connect the cable pull on it.
this is the valve with vac switch removed.

the valve works like this

so you can see the heater circuit always flows regardless of weather the heat is turned on or not. this way if the heat is off all the coolant won't get sucked out of my pressure tank as the thermostat opens up. the circut should behave as if the heater is on all the time and for my setup, that would be even engine temps more or less all the time. and as I crack the valve for heat, it shouldn't affect anything as far as the engine needs are concerned.

this is a Ford valve I think. I can dig up my ebay purchase and post part #'s if you all are interested.

Thanks for that Nate! Cool find! The Ford part number is F87Z-18495-AA...just for the record keeping factor.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A concern I would have is that bypassing the relay in this way means the conversion now uses the troublesome D15 pin to additionally power the ECU and the coil packs.

Mark

shadetreetim wrote:
japio wrote:

Yeah, that is the better solution as I found out while trying to start mine. The modification I showed above doesn't work. Your version should work good.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
A concern I would have is that bypassing the relay in this way means the conversion now uses the troublesome D15 pin to additionally power the ECU and the coil packs.

Mark

You make a good point Mark. That would be a heavy load to run the Coil Packs off the ignition switch, which could shorten the switches life. Here is a diagram showing how I have decided to eventually modify mine by adding one more relay to isolate the Fuel Pump. An alternate method would be to replace the power steering relay with a higher amperage one, and group the three loads on it (MAF, Coils, Injectors). But these 30A relays are only around $6.00 each, so I'll just add one.

'74 Jeep CJ5
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A power steering relay?, man now I need one of those too? Ohh wait I don't have power steering in my formerly air cooled 1.8T
Dancing

think you meant power supply relay..
fwiw I only have 2 relays one for the fuel pump because the ECU trips it's signal via ground
and 1 for the rest. ECU, N75, O2 coils etc. divided out via a fuse block.

shadetreetim wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

You make a good point Mark. That would be a heavy load to run the Coil Packs off the ignition switch, which could shorten the switches life. Here is a diagram showing how I have decided to eventually modify mine by adding one more relay to isolate the Fuel Pump. An alternate method would be to replace the power steering relay with a higher amperage one, and group the three loads on it (MAF, Coils, Injectors). But these 30A relays are only around $6.00 each, so I'll just add one.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
A power steering relay?, man now I need one of those too? Ohh wait I don't have power steering in my formerly air cooled 1.8T
Dancing

think you meant power supply relay..

Laughing The PS Relay was indicating its original usage, if you look next to the relay, the Relay's new name is Power Supply Relay.

'74 Jeep CJ5
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T conversion details? Reply with quote

So do the 1.8t conversions get a BAR code sticker or ( or put in the system) or do they smog like a Subaru with an OE at a SMOG station.
Every 1.8t conversion I have seen has had a Sticker on it, with a BAR code. I am going somewhere with this and will wait for some replies.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8T conversion details? Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
So do the 1.8t conversions get a BAR code sticker or ( or put in the system) or do they smog like a Subaru with an OE at a SMOG station.
Every 1.8t conversion I have seen has had a Sticker on it, with a BAR code. I am going somewhere with this and will wait for some replies.

Stacy

I have a 1.8t (SAH kit) and no bar sticker. I imagine you have to still go to the SMOG station in California for this.
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8T conversion details? Reply with quote

Running_Man wrote:
16CV's wrote:

Stacy

I have a 1.8t (SAH kit) and no bar sticker. I imagine you have to still go to the SMOG station in California for this.

The SAH 1.8T kit has an Executive Order from the California BAR. Technically you wouldn't need the BAR sticker with an Executive Order, but when I completed my DIY installation, Stephan indicated that it would likely save me some hassle in the future to have the BAR sticker.

In a subsequent discussion with a friend who works for the CARB, I learned most smog places don't really like dealing with Executive Orders. I imagine a little research would find you a place that would.
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T conversion details? Reply with quote

Since this thread started be asking for details and having had a recent experience that will allow me to add even more...here goes!

This little guy below caused me a LOT of headaches lately. It's a water pump with a plastic impeller that has cracked and no longer rotates reliably. The impeller would rotate enough to push coolant at idle and low engine speeds, but would not push enough coolant to cool at higher engine speeds.

It overheated severely on the way back from a trip with the family and I couldn't catch it in time. Once home, it showed really low compression on #4 cylinder. Thinking it was a head gasket, I put a new one in, but it's something in the head or possibly a cracked ring. There seemed to be excessive oil in that one cylinder, but I couldn't determine if it was coming from a crack in the head, a warped head or past the piston rings. Whatever the case, I did not have time to rebuild the engine, was not in a position to purchase a rebuilt one and could not find what I felt was a good, used AEB for decent money.

Enter the AWM! For those that don't know, VW redesigned the 1.8T in 2001.5 (I think) and they change nearly everything on the block. They changed the water pump, coolant hose routing, crankcase venting, oil filter housing, oil pan, head, valve cover, cam timing chain, alternator and p/s pump brackets, intake manifold, throttle body, wiring, DBW throttle, electronics and on and on. Luckily the engine mounts staying the same place on the crossmember an the bellhousing pattern stayed the same.

I happened to have had a AWM in the shed and thought, "Pff...how hard can it be to convert an AWM to run on AEB electronics?". Well, I'm here to tell you that its a fair amount of work to pull out an AEB and replace it with an AWM. Below are the highlights.

The AWM got rid of the "toublesome" Ignition Control Module" that the AEB had and they went with self contained coil packs. The AEB coil packs do not fit in the AWM valve cover. There are conversions to get rid of the AEB ICM, but I did not want to mess with any of the existing electronics at the same time that I was dealing with the engine swap. Too many variables...especially with this being a used engine that I was not 100% sure was any good. So I had to adapt the AEB valve cover to the AWM so I could retain the AEM coil packs. Since the AWM uses a different (and better) crankcase ventilation system, I had to drill and tap the AEB valve cover for a new vent nipple as well as had to transfer an internal baffle over.

The AWM uses a variable cam timing situation for emissions control. The AEB does not use this, so an AEB cam chain tensioner (shiny new thing at the edge of the valve cover in the photo below) had to be installed into the AWM head. The cam timing sensor and trigger wheel (second photo) are also different on the AEB and the AWM, so those had to be swapped out too.
The AWM also uses a Secondary Air Injection system that involves a combination valves on the back of the head. This system is not used on the AEB so the combination valve was removed and blockoff plate made to plug the hole (triangular plate with two bolts holding in onto the head in the first photo).

I don't run power steering so the alternator belt had to be changed and rerouted. The original AWM cooling fan clutch had to be cut off of the idler puller as well.

Unless you know exactly what you are looking at, the photo below won't mean a whole lot, but it shows how I rerouted the oil cooler hoses and ventilation hoses to work with my existing set up.

And there you have it...an AWM in a 2wd Vanagon running AEB electronics. The only thing left to address is the throttle cable. The AEB manifold has a little boss to bolt the throttle cable bracket to. Since the AWM uses a DBW throttle, that boss no longer exists. The AEB intake manifold is not a clean swap onto the AWM head due to different diameters of the head and manifold, so the solution that is shown in the photos is temporary. It actually works quite well, but I will make a proper bracket to hold thing permanently when I get a chance.

There are tons of other little tweaks and things that were required to do this swap (swapping knock sensors, crank sensors, alternators, etc), but it all worked out. Sure was a lot of work though!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T conversion details? Reply with quote

Interesting. Have you started the engine yet? I'm wondering because sensor ring on the later style crank is different design than that on the AEB
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T conversion details? Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Interesting. Have you started the engine yet? I'm wondering because sensor ring on the later style crank is different design than that on the AEB

Yeah, I had hear/read the same thing, but I figured I would give it a go. I drove it for an hour or so yesterday it seems to run great with no issues. I did have to drill the mounting hole out on the AEB crank sensor because the AWM went one size up on the mounting bolt. I had read about guys using the AWM sensor with the AEB connector swapped onto the pig tail and that was going to be my second attempt if needed, but all seems good.

Edit* Oh, and I did look at the sensor rings on both engines and they are different in terms of how they are made. One is like a made like a gear with teeth and the other in like a windowed ring. Both appear to have the same pick up spacing though. The photo below is ripped from the internet.

xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T conversion details? Reply with quote

Great to know it all works out. I had thought you tried a new coolant pump to correct that weird overheat issue you had. Also, what happened with the aftermarket external coolant pump you were running?

I just put an AWM 1.8t in a 1980 van, it has no PS. I took that serpentine belt idler pulley off all together and just used a smaller belt, nice clean set-up. I can give you the size if you're interested.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T conversion details? Reply with quote

Quote:
Great to know it all works out. I had thought you tried a new coolant pump to correct that weird overheat issue you had. Also, what happened with the aftermarket external coolant pump you were running?

It's buried in this thread somewhere, but I scrapped the external coolant pump after the electronic controller died. The pump in the picture is the stock Audi pump.

The solution to that weird cooling issue ended up being to simply move the expansion tank return hose from the original position at the lower radiator return hose (just like Audi does it) to the heater return circuit. I have not been able to figure out what that change made all the difference, but the problems were 100% solved with that simple change.

Quote:
I just put an AWM 1.8t in a 1980 van, it has no PS. I took that serpentine belt idler pulley off all together and just used a smaller belt, nice clean set-up. I can give you the size if you're interested.

Well that was a forehead slapping moment! My mind must have been on other things when I did that belt. Eliminating the idler makes total sense. Duh! Oh well, I'll change that eventually. Thanks!

xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8T conversion details? Reply with quote

Belt 5PK935 is used to do this. This is in a 1980 beige camper, it looks completely stock on the outside. What fun it is to drive!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: