Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

torn ball joint boots: $6-800?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: torn ball joint boots: $6-800? Reply with quote

I did it like this guy... but I already have a 3/4 inch drive impact wrench, so that's cheating, I guess. I also paid $175.00 for the tool and had to wait more than a week for it to arrive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihW9jNLjLZI

That's the FLAPS C-clamp rental tool with my veryextraspecialexpensive VW tool.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1699756.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: torn ball joint boots: $6-800? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I had a boot pop that asshole spring that holds it on. very tricky to get them on and NOT punch a hole in the boot.

I know...people do the boots. I swear I can pull the torsion arms faster and press in new ones before I could get all of those spring clips back on

Call me a hack but I just toss those spring clips and use stainless safety wire and wire pliers and tie them on.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirCooledClassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: torn ball joint boots: $6-800? Reply with quote

I have run an Air cooled restoration shop for 35 years now and I no longer will install ball joints , Replacement boots and tie rods unless all parts are supplied by the customer. I have increased my shop rate 25$ an hour to make up for the lost profit in parts sales. The reason for this is I cannot guarantee the parts I sell. All boots fail in less than a year( on rare occasion they last up to 2 years TRW) And If the cust supplies the parts I am Not responsible. And I don't have to lose my ass doing it again. The Parts we sell are Junk. German ,american or Chinese.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoq3MtsPmc

My National Dragster article
http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=231552
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: torn ball joint boots: $6-800? Reply with quote

AirCooledClassics wrote:
I have run an Air cooled restoration shop for 35 years now and I no longer will install ball joints , Replacement boots and tie rods unless all parts are supplied by the customer. I have increased my shop rate 25$ an hour to make up for the lost profit in parts sales. The reason for this is I cannot guarantee the parts I sell. All boots fail in less than a year( on rare occasion they last up to 2 years TRW) And If the cust supplies the parts I am Not responsible. And I don't have to lose my ass doing it again. The Parts we sell are Junk. German ,american or Chinese.

My long time local air cooled shop closed, at least in part, for just this reason. Parts quality is shit, and warranty labor was killing him.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: torn ball joint boots: $6-800? Reply with quote

AirCooledClassics wrote:

Can you just keep old new and parts in a box and explain why you cant warranty them, and take the labor only job? Customer doesn’t really have an option and it’s not on you at all if you are up front on the How and why.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: torn ball joint boots: $6-800? Reply with quote

people don't want to hear it....and there is something no matter how blue in the face you get explaining something to someone they want you to "own it" for life....example: you repair a leaky oil cooler, but there are still some oil leaks "you just fixed my oil leak" then you want to scream and say, "no, I fixed your leaky oil cooler...there are 300 more places it can leak from"

people just don't get it. and it gets old defending every repair you make. then they jump on here (or other digital media) and get the other folks who have no clue reassure them they got hosed, and slam the name of the shop.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
thewilly789
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: torn ball joint boots: $6-800? Reply with quote

Here is my take on the bus balljoint boots.
I was just inspecting my 1978 westfalia an noticed a torn boot.I removed the actual torsion arm-lower so i could properly check over the ball joint.The ball was not tight but loose but not overly loose-orginal 67k miles only on bus.
In the vw manual they say can have up to .080 ball joint play.New ball joint can have .012 play.I measured the torn one at .023 play with no grease or lube in it.I bought a new ball joint but then started reading about how they do not last,nothing like the 100k miles or more of orginals.I then wanted to regrease the existing bj so added a zerk grease fitting to it.Was able to properly drill an tap an clean the old bj.With new grease into it-proper way i can measure no play.Moves just like upper one but know there is some play.I took the boot off of the new-SIDEM brand of bj an got it on the old one-some mod needed.

So i would recommend measuring an properly checking existing-orginal bj.Replace boots if need to but keep orginal bj's if you can.alot less work an cost an you know they will last-as they have-not like new ones. >.080 is 2mm,thats alot of wear so those loose bj's can still be within specs.An last another 100k if mantained with grease .

JMO.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: torn ball joint boots: $6-800? Reply with quote

Zero warranty on any parts, been that way for 2 years at my shop. I don't care where its "made". I horde OG for my stuff so that is is sorta drivable. Sun is setting.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: torn ball joint boots: $6-800? Reply with quote

JMO, thanks for joining us! Care to fill us in on where to get the best ball joint boots? I go through one or two boots every year.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: torn ball joint boots: $6-800? Reply with quote

Did a full front end rebuild in spring 2012. Roll forward....noticed while doing my CV boots that both lower ball joint boots are open. Crap parts today folks....crap. Not going to even contemplate replacing them. By the time the over-sized balls joints wear themselves out (many miles later) it will be time to do a rebuild again.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: torn ball joint boots: $6-800? Reply with quote

I am trying to visualize how you would get a new boot over the larger upper ball joint assembly if you are just replacing the boot. It makes sense that you would have to ditch the original clips with stainless wire.
(sold - but not forgotten)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: torn ball joint boots: $6-800? Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
I am trying to visualize how you would get a new boot over the larger upper ball joint assembly if you are just replacing the boot. It makes sense that you would have to ditch the original clips with stainless wire.

All four ball joints are the same, the top ones just have an eccentric stuck on the taber that can be removed with a puller.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: torn ball joint boots: $6-800? Reply with quote

I could make the ball joint press adapters, 459-1/2 is there a large enough need? I have been making the center pin drift tool, (131a) they are popular, many sold.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: torn ball joint boots: $6-800? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
BUSBOSS wrote:

All four ball joints are the same, the top ones just have an eccentric stuck on the taber that can be removed with a puller.

That makes sense. A puller like this?

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: torn ball joint boots: $6-800? Reply with quote

I use a pitman arm puller, available for rent from Flaps. Three-jaw pullers set correctly also work for me. I haven’t tried that style above, but I don’t think it would work for eccentric bushings.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: torn ball joint boots: $6-800? Reply with quote

Yes you can use a tool like that, and also two hammers like the image online below. Set one hammer against one side and hit the other. Usually that will break it loose. Leave the nut on so parts don't go flying.

SGKent wrote:

BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: torn ball joint boots: $6-800? Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
I use a pitman arm puller, available for rent from Flaps. Three-jaw pullers set correctly also work for me. I haven’t tried that style above, but I don’t think it would work for eccentric bushings.

Robbie

Thanks guys. I will get a pitman puller. I appreciate the advice
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: torn ball joint boots: $6-800? Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
I could make the ball joint press adapters, 459-1/2 is there a large enough need? I have been making the center pin drift tool, (131a) they are popular, many sold.

why? unless you can make it cheaper than 189 bux

https://vw.snapon.com/SpecialToolsDetail.aspx?itemId=2800108

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: torn ball joint boots: $6-800? Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
pitman arm puller

This is the style you'll need; I've not tried others but there are plenty of ways to skin cats.

With that, there is only one orientation the puller can reliably grab the eccentric bushing while staying centered on the stud. Rotate the ball in its joint until things line up.

Keep the nut halfway threaded on, so the ball joint threads are recessed a little. This will keep the puller centered and prevent the thing from exploding when it lets go. A large crescent wrench or vise grips are best to hold the puller from rotating. If you feel like you're tightening it as much as you can, go a little tighter, then try the hammer method under puller tension.

PB'laster it the night before, and again before doing the job. PPE mandatory for this one!
Robbie
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: torn ball joint boots: $6-800? Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:

Robbie

They come in different sizes, I would guess that one of the sizes would work. I have a smallish two armed puller that makes easy work of removing the eccentric, but next time I will try the ball joint style puller shown.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: