Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air cleaner parts
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Air cleaner parts Reply with quote

I'm hoping for some help on air cleaner parts for my 1973 Thing. I know it has a 1600 sp engine. I think that on the air cleaner I'm missing a part. I just don't know what it's called and where to get one.

On the air cleaner should there be a piece that comes off of it towards the back of the car with a hose that connects to the carberator? Is that used for vapor recovery from the oil? If so where do I get one of those.

I'm told it's the original engine for the car.

Thanks for all the help.

Dale
FlowerPowered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my understanding of the setup:
The hose (with the finger on it) shown in the photo below is what you are refering to. It goes from the port on the back of the air cleaner to the charcoal canister under the rear passenger-side wheel well. The hose from the other large port on the canister is also shown coming back into the engine compartment (shown to the right of the wiring harness grommet) and attached to the port on the dog house.

Here's how it works: There is a smaller hose from the gas tank to the canister which collects the offending gas vapors while parked (not possible to see here) and temporarily traps them by the charcoal within the canister. When the engine is started, positive air pressure from the doghouse fan pushes air into the canister, picks up and flushes the stored vapors from the charcoal, and dumps them into the air cleaner via the other hose. The vapors are then sucked from the air cleaner back into the carburetor for burning, thus making the car "greener" for the environment.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
cdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures always help. I will check to see what I have and don't have from the photo.

Thanks again.

Dale
lukesky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last spring, I got rid of the foam 'n chrome air cleaner and bought an original oil bath. I got a lot of good advice from the folks here on where the various hoses should go. I took a bunch of pics and posted them to the gallery. I'm not sure if they cover what you're looking for, but here's an example where I tried to use color coding so you could follow where they go:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a nipple built into the cannister, if its missing, it broke off, you either need another air cleaner or need to weld the nipple back on
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, that's what I need!

Where do I get the blue, red, yellow, green hoses and the piece that all the hoses plug into. I'll call it a short snout. I've looked online but I don't know what to really call it.

Thanks again for all the help.

Dale
FlowerPowered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got all my hoses off the shelf at NAPA auto parts. However the smaller vacuum hoses aren't like the OEM "cloth braided" hoses, if you're going for originality. The "short snout" you refer to IS the oil bath air cleaner. If you don't have one, you'll no doubt be getting it used somewhere like here on TheSamba or eBay. Here's some out there:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=762858
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=821228
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=796991
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=724873

Don't forget you'll need not only the air cleaner, but also the mounting bracket and the air cleaner to carburetor "snorkel" tube.
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner parts Reply with quote

can anyone confirm what size the hoses are from the charcoal canister to the fan shroud? I need a new one...

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner parts Reply with quote

12mm hose
http://www.thingparts.com/breather-hose-air-cleaner-12-mm/
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: