Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replaced clutch cable and accelerator cable today- questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Replaced clutch cable and accelerator cable today- questions Reply with quote

We were able to replace both cables, (did the heater box cables on friday), with no problems using the string method.

With that said, I have a few questions:

1) Where the accelerator cable exits the steel tubing at the front of the bus, there is an accordian looking rubber boot that attachs to the cable and goes over the end of the tubing. Mine is shot. I've searched the suppliers' websites, only to come up empty handed for this piece. Where can I get one, is my question.

2) My engine is out, being rebuilt. So we pulled the tranny today (manual). Obviously for many reasons. While disconnecting the shift rod near the tranny, there is a rubber boot that covers the shaft. I cannot find this particular boot on supplier sites. It even has a part number on it (211 711 115A). I need this part, or its replacement!

3) Before installing the new clutch cable (purchased as a renew kit from German Supply, so it includes bowden tube, cable, clevis pin, and rubber boots) I compared it to the cable removed from my bus. Both cables had about a 1' length of black covering (sheating) on them. But the new cable had a 3" piece of clear plastic that slides up and down the cable. I'm assuming this piece goes at the back of the bus where the cable exits the steel tubing. Am I correct assuming this?

Thanks,

Tom
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That clear piece is just the part number tag - I'm assuming that the part number is stamped into that. You can cut it off and throw it away. I've heard that they can get stuck in the bowden tube, but I've also removed perfectly functional cables that still had that on there.

If you're looking at something that does not have a part number stamped on it, then don't go cutting anything off until you confirm!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you on your missing boots, but I will suggest replacing the all of the shift rod bushings since you've got your trans out.

I wonder if that clear tube piece might protect the cable from the chassis as it goes through the frame near the front of the bus? It's only been the Summer, but I can't recall.

You compared the cable lengths? Even though German Supply warned me that the new cable may be too long, I ordered it anyway because it was supposed to be the right year for my bus (75) and it was too long. It took me a while to figure out why I could only find reverse with the engine off.

Whether you are a novice or know your way around an ACVW, a day with Amskeptic is money well spent. My mechanical ability/knowledge/bus is always better after Colin visits.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/memberlist.php
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder if that clear tube piece might protect the cable from the chassis as it goes through the frame near the front of the bus?

The frame-protector sleeve is black, and at the front of the cable - that one is stuck tight to the cable. The one that I am suggesting cutting off is clear, at the back of the cable, it slides around and should have a part number on it. It was a professional VW mechanic who suggested that I cut it off before installing... so far so good. Works great. I'd still love to hear from one other person that it is supposed to be cut off, anyone? anyone? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that it is supposed to be cut off, that would be odd to have to do so. I think it is supposed to be used as a sleeve where the cable enters the front of the tube, but am not sure. Since I found it all but impossible to get the boot over the front of the tube, I inserted the sleeve part way into the tube and siliconed it into place figuring that this would help keep the grease in the tube clean. I would like to see Scott at German Supply or Ron at Bus Depot describe in detain how all the boots and sleeves on the clutch cable and how all the parts and pieces of the shift rod bushing kit are supposed to be fitted and work.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I got the cable boots at Airhead Parts. It might or might not be listed for the throttle cable. Don't remember. Investigate and measure all the other locations that have cable boots. Heater, clutch, cables, and it seems like there were more. Whatever is the same or very similar size, order them.
While the trans is out now is the only time to replace the rear shift rod bushings. Otherwise down the line you might have to pull the engine and trans just for that purpose.
As far as that other shift rod boot, Google the P/No. It's shown.
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit it sounds funny to cut that off, but that's what a well-reputed mechanic told me. He better have been right!

That boot is a bugger! I put a little grease on mine, and i think I used pliers to grip it.... it eventually popped over the end of the tube.
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses so far!

The plastic piece DOES have a part # stamped on it. I imagine it would have a purpose. Why go to the trouble of putting it on there just for a part #. And cutting it off is a minor hassle as well. Why not stamp the part # on the black section? The front of the seems it gets left wide open. And dirt could enter there. Is there something missing from this kit, ot additional that needs to be ordered? hmmmm

Hopefully Scott or Ron will chime in.

I do have a new shift rod bushing. But not the whole kit. Scott does not have them in stock because the last batch were of such poor quality. If someone can lead me to a source with a good quality kit, I'm all for doing right, right now.
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubber boot. I just dawned on me that the rubber protector used for exterior cable connections, just might be the same size...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: