Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper Blades
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

When I purchased the Squareback, the passenger wiper was on the rubber window seal. The mechanic I took the Squareback to get it running a long while back, decided to replace everything that needed fixing, including the windshield wipers. Instead of adjusting them, he replaced them with 13 inch wipers. Turns out there is a reason for 15 inch wipers, especially if one is on the tall side. Rolling Eyes I found a set of N.O.S. units, and as I finished the sale, a used one came available. Both are supposed be Bosch, but on the used one, the clips that hold the rubber are much smaller, and do not accept refill rubber blades. Is one not supposed to replace the rubber blades on the new wiper units?

I have three sets of refills that came with the Squareback. Two are Trico and one unknown. The unknown has only slots on the ends. This means that the inner supports have no way to sit properly. Is there specific refills?

Originally, were the blade holders originally bare aluminum or painted black like the current ones sold?

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went to go take a picture of mine thinking they were original like the rest of my car. unfortunately, mine are aftermarket Sad
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcalvw wrote:
i went to go take a picture of mine thinking they were original like the rest of my car. unfortunately, mine are aftermarket Sad

Mike, thank you for trying! Very Happy It is the effort that counts. Right now, I took the units off, which is already an improvement. The 13 inchers did not look right.

B.T.W., the used units ones are from Nick. I got the whole shebang from him, and glad I did. No slop at all, so when I do get it running, I will see about swapping units. Still have a lot of decisions to make.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure the originals were either bare or painted silver/grey. As for the rubber refills, I don't think they sell them that way anymore. Only as complete units with the plastic arm and rubber blade. I don't know why whoever it was gave you 13inch ones, the correct size is still readily available from Bosch and a few other manufacturers...
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSMskater wrote:
I'm fairly sure the originals were either bare or painted silver/grey. As for the rubber refills, I don't think they sell them that way anymore. Only as complete units with the plastic arm and rubber blade. I don't know why whoever it was gave you 13inch ones, the correct size is still readily available from Bosch and a few other manufacturers...

Joe, good to have you help! Very Happy Fine then, what I have is original, and my explain why the replacement does not work with the refills. If I was to fathom a guess, I say the refills are at least ten years old. I guess I will take the innocence of the N.O.S. parts, trouble is, they are too nice. Guess it does not matter if I get into rain, and get in a wreck! Wink Laughing

The mechanic did not give them to me, it was part of the $650 bill! Evil or Very Mad The 13 inch wipers corrected the problem of rubbing on the rubber, but was not correct.

I can get refills for the originals, and maybe the Bosch replacement. But, I have enough for two years at least.

The Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
B.T.W., the used units ones are from Nick. I got the whole shebang from him, and glad I did. No slop at all, so when I do get it running, I will see about swapping units. Still have a lot of decisions to make.

Adriel,
I'm glad you're happy with the wipers! Hopefully they work well for you.

Cheers,
Nick
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fish wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Adriel,
I'm glad you're happy with the wipers! Hopefully they work well for you.

Cheers,
Nick

Not the wipers themselves per say, more the wiper pivots/linkage. Wink Very Happy We will find out this winter; just got to get her running first. With Trig based Physics and pre-Calc, plus working (very nice to have money, putting it into a emergency fund) there is not a whole lot of time to do stuff, though soon I am going to have to do something entertaining. Thus, I can work on them a few, then do something else. Today I mostly took off, as I did not observe the Sabbath.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: