Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Strainer Supplier
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Oil Strainer Supplier Reply with quote

These are the same for all air-cooled VW's right? So this one from ISPWest in the Type 1 section would work?

http://www.vwispwest.com/product.php?ispproduct=vwispwest&cat=312&page=1&part=111115175B

thanks
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Strainer Supplier Reply with quote

19typethree67 wrote:
These are the same for all air-cooled VW's right? So this one from ISPWest in the Type 1 section would work?

http://www.vwispwest.com/product.php?ispproduct=vwispwest&cat=312&page=1&part=111115175B

thanks

Yes. Why not pay a bit more and get a CB in sump filter? Stains out way more.

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Strainer Supplier Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
19typethree67 wrote:

thanks

Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks Very Happy
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Strainer Supplier Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
19typethree67 wrote:

thanks

Putting a filter on the suction side of the oil pump is a bad idea. if it clogs... your sucking air.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Strainer Supplier Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
19typethree67 wrote:

thanks

Putting a filter on the suction side of the oil pump is a bad idea. if it clogs... your sucking air.

It has a bypass valve. There is a whole thread devoted to them.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name one engine manufacturer that puts a filter on the suction side?

And GEX doesn't count.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

And GEX doesn't count.

Each to his own. Cool

blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
Glenn wrote:

And GEX doesn't count.

Each to his own. Cool

not much in the way of proof then?

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this what your talking about?

http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=202

No bueno? Crying or Very sad

How tall/deep are these anyway?
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
Glenn wrote:

And GEX doesn't count.

Each to his own. Cool

Do not want to hijack the thread, as his question has been answered. Wink Also, if one wants further information, just read the other thread.

blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
blankmange wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
Glenn wrote:

And GEX doesn't count.

Each to his own. Cool

Do not want to hijack the thread, as his question has been answered. Wink Also, if one wants further information, just read the other thread.

but if it's a good counterpoint to what be an errant suggestion, why is that a hi-jack?

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats wrong with the stock strainer. hasn't it worked well for over 50 years?
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
Glenn wrote:

And GEX doesn't count.

Each to his own. Cool

Ok- I'm not going to start a riot in here, but I am running this filter sump, and I did so after speaking with several industry mechanical, fluid, and aerospace engineers who also hold PHd's here at my school and who assured me based on the design of the product (they physically held it in their hands) and the nature of the application that there wouldn't be an issue.

the summary of my various discussions with them ended up with these conclusions:

1) being on the suction side of the pick up tube is not a deal breaker. In this case, Glenns assertion is comparing apples with oranges -- VW never designed a spin on type oil filter for T3 engines, and so asking to produce another manufacturer who does this isn't fair. The kit is a retrofit and as such has to make do with the constraints on it. While T1's have the space for the filter-on-pump cover method (a factory VW design) and T4's utilized them as stock equip, T3's are in the unique position where everything save tapping the case and going full-flow isn't an option. I'll add that the by the same argument Glenn makes knocking the filter/sump, I'll knock full flow on ANY engine. Lines can be inadvertently cut, ripped off, melted or scraped through, and even steel braided ones can fail internally while appearing fine from the outside. Does this mean nobody should run them? Rolling Eyes

no. its a calculated risk inherent in the nature of retrofitting equipment to an engine the original designers never intended it to have.

in our case specifically, you can hack a fan shroud and lose cooling air, you can add a bunch of low hanging lines in tight spaces around the exhaust, and then figure out a place to mount the filter where it won't be in the way (not exactly easy on a T3) or you can take the opposite calculated risk and put it on the bottom using this filter sump kit. Either way, you have a certain amount of risk that can theoretically destroy your engine.

I'll add to Glenn that my Professor in fluid dynamics (who works for JPL as a consultant) told me there are several industrial applications where retrofit kits similar to this one have functioned for years without any incident whatsoever.

To say that because no modern automanufacturer does it is unfair-- they have the benefit of designing the motor from the ground up with a filter in mind, so of course they have no reason to put it on the pick-up side when they have the lee-way of designing the case and all the components to be on the pushing side. As far as being a simple, straightforward, and reliable kit this pretty much takes the cake for T3 applications.

2) you say that a clog will cause the engine to starve for oil. Right, but that's why there is a gigantic check valve. Rolling Eyes Talking to the Mechanical engineering senior design lab professor here, he told me that in his opinion, the check valve was more than robust enough to handle our application, and that should a clog occur, it would be no worse starving the pick-up for oil than it would be starving 1 or more of the main bearings, connecting rods, etc, by having a clog in an external spin on filter or cooler set up with full flow lines running all over the place. A sufficiently large clog is a sufficiently large clog and you're going to starve oil SOMEWHERE. It's a LOOP system.

3) How often do YOU see an oil sludge build up so terrible that it clogs an oil filter? Not often. Probably a handful of cases in thousands, or tens of thousands. Not only that, but the VW community isn't like your average saturn driver -- we (most of the time) change our oil in intervals farrrr below the 10,000 mi (or more!) that some people wait. I know I for one change my oil RELIGIOUSLY every 3k miles, or whenever I feel like "it's been a while", whichever comes first. Frequent oil changes were VW's original mentality for not having a filter in the first place. If you change your oil often, theres no reason to believe theres going to be this catastrophic build up of oil sludge that's going to clog the filter, and somehow hinder the check valve from operating.

Before you knock it, do some research. I spoke to as many experts in the field that I could before making the purchase, but as Adriel said, To each his own. Until someone comes back with a report of failure, a documented case, then I think I'll leave the engineering to real engineers.
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors

Last edited by JSMskater on Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcalvw wrote:
whats wrong with the stock strainer. hasn't it worked well for over 50 years?

nothing is particularly "wrong" with the stock strainer, just that it doesn't do a very good job of actually FILTERING the oil -- it picks out large metal shavings and things but it isn't any good for capturing the smaller particles that make their way into engines and over time lead to a shorter life. There's a reason why even VW eventually used true filters on their air-cooled engines (including mexican made beetles)
TOOB Member #3
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of words but I still never seen a engine manufacturer put a filter on the suction side.... not a single one.

Retrofit... hell, just put a filter pump on and at least it's a real filter.

Hey... it's your engine, knock yourself out.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Lots of words but I still never seen a engine manufacturer put a filter on the suction side.... not a single one.

Retrofit... hell, just put a filter pump on and at least it's a real filter.

Hey... it's your engine, knock yourself out.

Glenn... you're a bug owner. You don't get it... YOU CAN'T USE A FILTER PUMP ON A T3 -- not without hacking the fan shroud, mustache bar, and even THEN it may not work. There simply isn't enough room.

secondly, nobody is countering you on manufacturers not putting it on the suction side -- THEY HAVE THE BENEFIT OF DESIGN FROM STAGE ONE TO INCLUDE A FILTER. they have no REASON to take the risk of such a clog when they don't have to! It's the nature of the retrofit to make a compromise and take the calculated risk so you can make it work. it's comparing apples and oranges.
TOOB Member #3
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSMskater wrote:
Glenn... you're a bug owner. You don't get it... YOU CAN'T USE A FILTER PUMP ON A T3 -- not without hacking the fan shroud, mustache bar, and even THEN it may not work. There simply isn't enough room.

Understood.....

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
JSMskater wrote:

Understood.....

Did you not notice what forum you were in? Laughing Wink

Like I was trying to point out -- in an ideal world you'd just go with the same set-up VW of Mex. went with on their later beetle engines -- but for T3's that just simply isn't an option. Nature of the beast, and as such we have to take the calculated risk if we want to run true oil filtration.

what it boils down to is trust and preference:

do you trust that CB makes a good product with sound engineering and a well designed check valve?

do you trust that their choice of manufacturer has reasonable controls over quality?

do you prefer to have full oil filtration without ANY modifications to the stock components, and is fully removable?

if you answered YES to all of those, then the filter sump is what you want. It's BARELY 2 inches deep, with a recessed drain plug, and is BEEFY in construction. I was extremely skeptical until I talked to experts in the field and had my questions answered -- and the odds are that you will likely never have a problem with this set up.
TOOB Member #3
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What have I begun? Rolling Eyes Or maybe we should blame Adriel?

Just playin, this is all good stuff actually. I love this forum!

Not that I have made a decision but really, what are the dimensions on this thing? Wise to run w/ a 1-outer lowered rear?
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19typethree67 wrote:
What have I begun? Rolling Eyes Or maybe we should blame Adriel?

Just playin, this is all good stuff actually. I love this forum!

Not that I have made a decision but really, what are the dimensions on this thing? Wise to run w/ a 1-outer lowered rear?

Personally, I wouldn't. I don't like anything hanging below the case really, and I made the compromise this once because it really is the absolute shortest profile I have ever seen. It measured 1 3/4 inch from the lip where it meets the case down to the lowest fin on the sump/filter itself.

I had a sump on my old beetle that hung 3.5 inches below, and I smacked it good one day and broke/cracked the ring of metal that bolts to the bottom of the case, and nearly lost all my oil. Ever since then, I've distrusted sumps immensly.

The benefit of this kit is that its centered squarely on the engine, so it wont catch or bang around on steep driveways and stuff, and even if you bottom out the suspension I think your exhaust would hit first.

If you're lowered and wanna try it, thats on you. If you're stock height, then i don't see any real risk unless you're offroad or something.

here's a picture of mine, when I mounted it to the engine on the stand:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

you can see how it doesn't hang very low at all. the spot where the header meets the muffler on my ISP over the top exahust is lower than that, and I've only scraped it ONCE and that was when I was loaded to the gills on a really steep incline.
TOOB Member #3
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: