Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

83.5 Pressurized Coolant Reservoir belching after parking?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: 83.5 Pressurized Coolant Reservoir belching after parking? Reply with quote

I drove to work for the first time in a week and when I got back to my doka, there was a puddle of coolant on the concrete, I check the engine hatch and the hoses are OK and dry, but the pressurized reservoir has a little puddle underneath.

I have a new cap on there, so I think the old reservoir is shot (will confirm on Friday). Either that or the coolant return line is clogged to the overflow.

My problem is that it is an 83.5 with the early reservoir, no one sells them anymore. Has anyone put the newer 84-85 style in? Do I need a different bracket????

Last edited by keithwwalker on Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
justcairns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus Depot 025121403A Is this what you are looking for?
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO
I guess, another question is what bracket do I need to use this reservoir?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith, I am in the process of making a change to my coolant tank setup on my TDI conversion. I was looking at using a tank from a later Vanagon. They are available. I checked my ETKA software, and don't see a part shown for the coolant tank bracket. From that I concluded that it is a welded part of the chassis. My stock diesel tank slid into a bracket that is part of the battery box. Is your tank retained by bolts? If so, you might be able to adapt the later tank to your mounting with steel or aluminum flat stock. I really don't know. I am using a tank from a late model Jetta to connect to my TDI engine. If nothing else, this will bump your post.
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my 1990 there is a piece on the mufler heat sheild nt neer it to take a picture but its basiclly a U i forget what it looks like on the 1.9.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have the same tank that a diesel has, but it is in the rear corner drivers side. It is retained by a bracket that bolts on. (I will post photos tomorrow)

If I can find another later bracket, that would be good, as I purchased a later tank. I am keeping it in the doka, in case the old one ruptures. The hose locations are the same, so if it ruptures, I can just slip it in.

Kww

rsxsr wrote:
Keith, I am in the process of making a change to my coolant tank setup on my TDI conversion. I was looking at using a tank from a later Vanagon. They are available. I checked my ETKA software, and don't see a part shown for the coolant tank bracket. From that I concluded that it is a welded part of the chassis. My stock diesel tank slid into a bracket that is part of the battery box. Is your tank retained by bolts? If so, you might be able to adapt the later tank to your mounting with steel or aluminum flat stock. I really don't know. I am using a tank from a late model Jetta to connect to my TDI engine. If nothing else, this will bump your post.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: