Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another boring Test Stand thread again for the 100th time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
donco735
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Another boring Test Stand thread again for the 100th time Reply with quote

Yet another boring test stand:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=719725&sid=d31d07859ea2d457fdf8538dfbd81670
ernieballbass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Another boring Test Stand thread again for the 100th time Reply with quote

Forgive me for asking this, but a lot of the photos on this thread are unavailable...

Let's pretend (hypothetically) that I am a massive moron.

How do I go about wiring the test stand? Specifically what wire gauge should I use for where???
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Another boring Test Stand thread again for the 100th time Reply with quote

ernieballbass wrote:
Forgive me for asking this, but a lot of the photos on this thread are unavailable...

Let's pretend (hypothetically) that I am a massive moron.

How do I go about wiring the test stand? Specifically what wire gauge should I use for where???

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_7071.jpg

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Another boring Test Stand thread again for the 100th time Reply with quote

I've been building and using dedicated test stands off and on since the mid 80's so when I started messing with VWs again last year I decided to put one together. I keep my eyes open for free or very cheap exercise equipment and that's where the majority of raw materials came from.

First I built the basic frame. I was given a bad early IRS tranny so I emptied the case and cut it across the diff area. I used a Sawzall being careful to not let the chips pile up too much. I had the casters on hand from a yard sale score.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then when I went to put a motor on the stand I discovered that my Invacare patient lift wouldn't clear the lower framework. I added some 2x2 steel tube sections to raise the lower framework 4".

In this pic you can see the brace I built to support the back of the engine. The metal I have is not thick enough to support the weight of the engine. This brace solves any strength issues. Now all the forces are straight down. No bending forces on the upright that the trans case section is bolted to.

Here you can see the thick rubber pad that bears against the engine case. There are bosses here on the case. I have bought 2 full height nuts to replace these half height jam nuts that I had on hand. This brace can be easily removed from the stand leaving only a 6" tall 3/4" rod sticking up from the lower frame member.

Yesterday I welded in the tabs to support the [ freebie ] wire shelving for parts storage. The wire shelving may get replaced with 1/4" plywood in the future. I had some 1/2" x 1/8" steel strap on hand and I was able to come up with a clean design for a battery tray. As a last touch I welded on an 8mm bolt for the ground strap. I also dug up a pair of usable battery cables. As usual I never have a red cable the right length for the positive side.

I still have to figure out my fuel system. I would like to be able to easily use a gravity feed set up occasionally so I need to come up with a design for this. Still have to come up with some toggle switches, a starter button, a master switch, maybe an oil pressure gauge, charging system wiring harness, etc etc. I will probably add an intermediate shelf to hold an oil drain pan above the battery.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Another boring Test Stand thread again for the 100th time Reply with quote

Personally I would mount motor lower on stand, up high and to much torque could result on motor and stand in horizontal position instead of vertical...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Another boring Test Stand thread again for the 100th time Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Personally I would mount motor lower on stand, up high and to much torque could result on motor and stand in horizontal position instead of vertical...

Dale

What torque ? There is nothing for the motor to torque against. I've run a bunch of SBCs on test stands nearly this tall and torque is a non-issue. I'm more concerned with not killing my back bending over to work on the motor.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Another boring Test Stand thread again for the 100th time Reply with quote

That's an accident waiting to happen. Look at where the center of gravity is. Maybe add some outriggers
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Another boring Test Stand thread again for the 100th time Reply with quote

No problem with C/G, I run them all the time on a similar stand. I use a piece of 8ga house wire for the positive cable, it's plenty large enough to handle the amperage. The prop rod is kind of weird, but whatever. Put a big drip tray under it as they always seem to leak. A marine outboard tank works great for fuel.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Another boring Test Stand thread again for the 100th time Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
No problem with C/G, I run them all the time on a similar stand. I use a piece of 8ga house wire for the positive cable, it's plenty large enough to handle the amperage. The prop rod is kind of weird, but whatever. Put a big drip tray under it as they always seem to leak. A marine outboard tank works great for fuel.

The rear upright 1x2 tubes are only 1/16" wall thickness. I need that front brace. I am working on a drain pan tray now. UPS just brought me my bandsaw blade Smile

I also cut out my intake and exhaust block off plates for washing motors.

earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Another boring Test Stand thread again for the 100th time Reply with quote

Maybe some day I will finish mine...

The tail is for mounting the dash.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Another boring Test Stand thread again for the 100th time Reply with quote

My version. Junk 6v case, clearanced for 12v, scrap metal frame. Have all 6/12v bushings. Battery and gas sit on the ground. Not going to fall over. Clears heat exchangers also. Doesnt need a lift for the motor, jack will do

rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Another boring Test Stand thread again for the 100th time Reply with quote

My test stand is nearly done. I have placed some corrugated plastic sheet on the wire shelving .

For some reason I decided to make the middle shelf so that is slides on the upright. I guess my thinking was that I could lower it so there is easier access to get to the sump plate and then be able to raise the drain pan up closer. I have a plastic tray I am fitting to this shelf. This is the mid position.

All the way up.

Electric panel. Yes, it's a recycled cutting board Smile . The mast the electrics are mounted on can be pulled straight up and detached from the test stand for when I want to pressure wash a motor or if the test stand is left outside when not in use.

Gravity feed fuel tank off a JD.

Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Another boring Test Stand thread again for the 100th time Reply with quote

Ugly, but mine's no beauty queen either. If you don't already have one put a fuel shutoff valve in the fuel hose, available at any hardware store in the small engine dept. If your carb float seeps you'll have a big fire hazard.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Another boring Test Stand thread again for the 100th time Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
Ugly, but mine's no beauty queen either. If you don't already have one put a fuel shutoff valve in the fuel hose, available at any hardware store in the small engine dept. If your carb float seeps you'll have a big fire hazard.

That is why my fuel supply is on the ground, also tests fuel pump....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Another boring Test Stand thread again for the 100th time Reply with quote

There is an inline petcock on the tank.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Another boring Test Stand thread again for the 100th time Reply with quote

One of my 'run/test' stands

76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Another boring Test Stand thread again for the 100th time Reply with quote

These are some mods I did to my test stand to update it to use the absolute best idea for R&Ring acvw engines. The hydraulic lift table is ideal for acvw engine hoisting. You need a double leg engine stand. The mods I made to my test stand allow me to use the hyd lift table to R&R an engine on the test stand.

Old design.

New modifications

Ive decided that I don't need this brace anymore . The braces I added to the belhousing add enough strength to delete this .

rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Another boring Test Stand thread again for the 100th time Reply with quote

I took my engine off my new 2 leg engine stand and put it on the test stand. Absolutely no drama. The only pita was figuring out how to arrange the straps to lift my dead bus motor off the hyd lift table. I need to fab up a lift plate to bolt to the top 2 motor mounting bolt holes.

My patient lift in action. Super handy around the shop.

I'm going to make a new riser platform out of 2x12 lumber for the uprights.

Removing the engine from the Summit engine stand.

Puttiing it on the test stand.

rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Another boring Test Stand thread again for the 100th time Reply with quote

To use the patient lift you have to remove the fan shroud. No need if you use the lift table.

Also, I definitely do not need the brace . There is NO flex in the structure.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Another boring Test Stand thread again for the 100th time Reply with quote

YOu people really love lifting that motor very high. When it falls over and catches fire, I am sure it won't be fun. Very Happy

I like to start it on the ground - just an old used tire and piece of plywood. And fire extinguisher on stand by.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: