Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Brake Upgrade
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Rear Brake Upgrade Reply with quote

Hey Guys:

Yes, I've searched, and read posts until I'm blue in the face, and I still have questions. I'd like to do a brake upgrade to the rear brakes on my '69 Ghia. I'm putting in a 2180 and think more stopping power would be a good thing to do.

1. I'd like to stay with OE parts, so a Type 3 rear drum setup looks appealing. Are parts still available for service, such as drums, shoes, and cylinders? I know the backing plates are not available and will have to be used items, that's no problem. Airhead does not list the drums and CIP1 shows the rear drums as not coming with the splined hub. Is this correct, or a wrong photo in the part listing?

https://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1200

There are a few T3 brake setups for sale in Samba, as well as other places, so backing plates should not be a problem. Is there anything in this switch that's going to give me grief? I've read of the possibility of having to machine off 5/8" from the face of the spline, that's OK.

2. Many people will recommend rear discs in this situation. I want a parking brake that works well, so that rules out some of the kits. I have read of several installers complaining about the fit of the parts, where modification may be necessary, and I don't want to deal with this. If I buy a rear disc kit, it must FIT on the first try. There must be no "Mickey-Mousing" of parts or BS adapters to the parking brake cables to make them fit properly. After reading multiple complaints about different rear disc suppliers, I don't have confidence it will be that way.

3. It seems there is a lot of confusion regarding replacement parts availability for the aftermarket rear discs. I could be swayed to rear discs if I could trust the fit was perfect and that parts would be available in the long run, especially if the calipers were a refit OE caliper, like from a Jetta or something. Somehow, I just don't seem to trust (or want to trust) suppliers with keeping their word about parts availability. (I've been f%$#! before.)

4. This parts availability dilemma could apply to T3's, also, since they were low production. Can anyone shed light on the availability of T3 rear brake parts in the future? I know this is a guess at best, but I'm concerned that some large VW houses don't sell them....

5. It seems increasing the rear track width is a common byproduct of these brake upgrades. Any comments on this are appreciated. I'm running stock tires and chromed stock wheels at this time and don't see this to be a problem.

I appreciate any responses and input, and apologize if this is a topic that has been beaten into the ground.

Thank you very much!
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than having to bend my own hard lines, I had no issues w/ the CB rear disc brake kit w/ parking brake on my 66 convertible. I know it's not IRS like your 69, but I suspect the overall fit will be similar. Mine came w/ parking brake cables that fit and work perfectly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: