Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Painting over Phosporic Acid
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Painting over Phosporic Acid
yes
83%
 83%  [ 5 ]
no
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
stupidest Idea I have ever heard of
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Painting over Phosporic Acid Reply with quote

I did a test area on my car to see how this would work and the paint (master

series) seemed to adhere excellent. This was on bare metal, then I applied the

phosphoric acid and allowed to dry, then a small test patch of paint. Before I go

whole hog and do the rest of my areas needing painting, can any one advise me

if this is a good idea or not?

Didn't want to introduce any water(to rinse) into this if I didn't have to.
spook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it can be done, but it is not a good idea
SBS US #10
feedback on the shop : http://tinyurl.com/yc7jgkl

Welcome to he darkside, its lower here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Chuck actually recommends it with Masterseries, although I could be wrong. I recall that the instructions say to wash it thoroughly before applying the paint after the phos. treatment.
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also heard this. I'm doing spots of bodywork, so my car will have tons of bare metal patches that I need to paint over. I was told to use phosphoric acid in order to help my primer adhere better, since the car sits outside and I can't have any bare metal exposed.
Stuggi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's supposed to be one of the best primers available, only thing better would be acid dipped, welded, acid dipped again and then hot-galvanized as they do with new cars.

The way you're supposed to use phosphoric acid is like follows.

First strip the part with thinned out hydrochloric acid. This removes everything, even steel if left on too long (several hours/days so don't worry). Wash it down properly and allow to dry. Slight surface rust should have formed, don't do anything to this, this rust is half of the primer. Now put on the phosphoric acid, and allow it to work. It should turn all the rust black (iron phosphate if I remember correctly). This is a very thin coating, but it'll make sure it doesn't rust in a very long time as you've converted all of the rust into iron phosphate. Now wash it down again, and paint it with normal primer. Put it on thick so you don't accidentally sand through it.

If you go over to shoptalkforums.com there's an excellent tutorial on how to do this.

Orange VW Fest!
Pulled out of a Lake Fest!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: