Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Euro headlight confusion.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Euro headlight confusion. Reply with quote

I plan on running a set of Euro lights that I picked up when I was in Germany several years ago. These came right out of the vintage parts place in Wolfsburg. When I got looking at these closer recently I noticed that obviously they are not the same. One looks earlier than the other, and apparently has an earlier lense as well as a Bosch ring with the L shaped retaining tab.. My question is are these correct (or which one) is correct for a 56 oval, and if not what do I need to make them correct?
The lenses I have are 1 Bosch with a VW symbol at the top, and 2 other fluted Bosch ones with different size script with no VW symbol at the top.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

L shaped retaining tab (note different lense script and this glass has the VW emblem at the top)

Bosch ring

single rivet style but ring has NO Hella marking on it and no VW emblem at the top of the lense

This is the one I believe to be an earlier bucket setup (note the drain holes compared to the other)

70 911T
91 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Euro headlight confusion. Reply with quote

hi, i'm sorry to say that as far as i know none of the headlights you show are 100% correct for a 56.

this lense is too early (i'm sure you'll find plenty of people willing to swap)

the lenses with the NL and A and 58 on or there abouts.

if you want to be a perfectionist you want lenses with the VW logo at the top and the same bosch writing as the NL ones but without the NL and A lettering.

you want buckets that use a metal stud and a clip on the reflector swivel point not a rubber plug. i'm fairly sure my one 56 light has the 3 pressed drain holes.

as far as the rings go i know nothing about the L tabbed rings as i have never seen a set in person. there are 2 different sizes of bosch scripting on the rings. what you have looks to be the right one (the earlier lights had larger lettering)

oh and you want flathead mount screws with metal spacer collars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just curious, does the lamp inside have a beam pattern on the lens, or is it clear smooth glass? I will be running fluted style lenses, and it just seems wrong to have a beam pattern shoot into another beam pattern.
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm not too concerned about being a perfectionist as far as the headlights go. Just want something that is close to era correct, and matched side to side.
So what vintage are these buckets and reflectors from considering they have the rubber plug at the pivot point?
70 911T
91 Westy
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any date codes (1-2 numbers, followed by a letter) printed on the backs of the reflectors?
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see any. The writing I have seen is whats shown in the pics.
70 911T
91 Westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: