Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Defroster Fix
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Defroster Fix Reply with quote

It's that time of the year - every morning my rear window is fogged up or getting frosted over.

I have a defroster switch and I see wires on the rear window (they've been painted over though), but the wire seems to be missing underneath the dashboard.

How is the wire routed to the back (haven't tore up my interior to find out yet)? Also, does the entire rear window need to be replaced if the wires are replaced and it doesn't work (was told by a local shop guy)?

Have any of you managed to repair your defroster?

Thanks,

- Joe
cr@M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of someone on here with a working OG defroster. Someone asks every year, haha.

You'd have to replace the rotted wiring and scrape the original defroster off the rear window. You don't need to buy a new window, just remove the defrosting element. Then you can go buy generic kits and put it onto your rear window and hook it up. Basically you need to replace the whole system if you want it to work.

An ice scraper works just fine for me.

"He who fights with monsters must see to it that he himself does not become a monster...
when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cr@M wrote:
I've never heard of someone on here with a working OG defroster. Someone asks every year, haha.

You'd have to replace the rotted wiring and scrape the original defroster off the rear window. You don't need to buy a new window, just remove the defrosting element. Then you can go buy generic kits and put it onto your rear window and hook it up. Basically you need to replace the whole system if you want it to work.

An ice scraper works just fine for me.

Damn it! I knew it wasn't going to be easy Laughing
RocketRod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, use an Ohm meter and check your existing grid. Then trace the wires back to the front. From that you should have an idea of the amount of work it will take to get it back close to OG. And a generic grid is always an option too. I'll just use a scraper myself.
cr@M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason why no one's works Wink

It's totally possible, i just don't see the point when the window is so easy to scrape. It is completely flat after all.

You don't even have the wiring hooked up to your switch? It would just follow the rest of the cables to the back I'd imagine.

"He who fights with monsters must see to it that he himself does not become a monster...
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RocketRod wrote:
Joe, use an Ohm meter and check your existing grid. Then trace the wires back to the front. From that you should have an idea of the amount of work it will take to get it back close to OG. And a generic grid is always an option too. I'll just use a scraper myself.

Been meaning to get a multimeter - thanks for the reminder.
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind using a scraper - I actually have a really cool one shaped like a cone that I found in my old 73 beetle I had a few years back. Works like a charm.

However, Ohio winters can be pretty brutal, and my wife and I are toying around with the idea of doing a road trip to see family during Christmas.
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang a curtain there and get used to it. Wink

They do sell repair kits for the window 'wires', and they work. (google that)

I just look at the side mirrors, but that's probably because I drove semi's for a bit of my life...
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where I heard this or if it's true, but I've been told that rubbing a raw potato on the glass beforehand will help.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the wire, a heavy black one, goes from the switch to the windshield pillar near the passenger and through the overhead to the window in back. The ground is on the driver side. The switch gets its power from the fuse box.

You can buy an inexpensive kit made by locktite that has the copper colored paint in it to repair broken segments in the lines on the glass. Hook one side of a 12 V meter or 12 test probe light up to ground. Hook the positive probe or light tip up to a small piece of aluminum foil wrapped on it. Slide the aluminum foil gently across each line. When the light is lit or the volt meter shows voltage the line is good. When it stops you will see a small break normally. You put two pieces of tape together on the glass to make a small line and use the special loctite paint to paint the new line in the section that is damaged. That will solve most small breaks. If the whole windows is nothing but scratched then you can consider scraping it all off and using a kit. I would try the locktite paint first as usually it is just a few small breaks that cause the issue.
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIOMX - if you do get your rear defroster grid working, do your battery and charging system a huge favour - use the original defroster switch to turn on a relay (30 amp- use a good Bosch one) in the engine bay, and run the power for the defrost grid directly from the battery straight up to the rear window (through the relay).

That way, you avoid sending the 12 volts 18 feet forward to the fuse box, through the switch, and then 18 feet back to the rear window, which by then is much less than 12 volts. Instead, you end up with about a 3-4 foot run which delivers much more voltage directly to where you need it.

And also put a fusible link on the heavy duty power feed line as close as you can to the battery. Yes, its a bit of extra wiring, but well worth it.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the extra wiring advice. I've never done wiring before, but this is good to know.

Since this seems like a project that can be really involved, I'll probably wait to do it until around the same time I do my second battery.
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cr@M wrote:
I've never heard of someone on here with a working OG defroster.

Mine works. Very Happy

1973 Westfalia
"Getting better....one repair at a time."

Other VW's owned through the years, in no particular order:
'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's rare, all the ones around here have the silver plating eaten off from moisture in the air, little left but the brown etch primer on the glass.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
BumbleBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:
That way, you avoid sending the 12 volts 18 feet forward to the fuse box, through the switch, and then 18 feet back to the rear window, which by then is much less than 12 volts.

If your wiring is totally shot or PO replaced with like 22awg crap with bunch of shoddy butt splices or something that extra work might be worth it, but if you've got decent 12-14awg or better on there, which is what the original wires look like at least, you won't lose much voltage at all if it's a clean run and that kinda gauge can certainly handle any current you throw at it... it's only going through an 8A fuse after all. I have a '72 resto project with OG defroster that I got working last week and am reading 12-12.2v at the rear terminal through the original wires. I can certainly live with that very minimal voltage drop. Keep in mind also that really cleaning your contacts can pick you up an extra half volt or more... I picked up about .3v after cleaning all mine. Not trying to be contrary.. just saying K.I.S.S. Smile

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=7199
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone has sucessfuly removed the grid from the hatch window I'd sure like to know how you did it. I've tried it on two busses, a '70 & '71, with the original Sakurat windows and it will not scrape off. It's imbeded in the glass and would take a grinder to grind it out. Don't know if busses ever came with just a clear glass without the defroster but have never seen one. Been tempted to have a glass company cut a new window. A defroster is totally useless here and I use the wire from the front for the third brake light.
cr@M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barefootwestie wrote:
cr@M wrote:

Mine works. Very Happy

Shocked
My God....

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to get what's left of the defroster off the glass?

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
jackstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
Not only will the potato keep the glass clear, it will get rid of warts. After you rub it on the window, you rub it on the affected area. Then you have to bury it upside down in the yard (the potato, not the window) at dawn as you face East reciting the procedure for valve adjustment.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barefootwestie wrote:
cr@M wrote:

Mine works. Very Happy

Mine [mostly] works! It doesn't quite clear the window but the grid lines do clear up most of the space 'tween them. Naturally, it is old and weakend and not up to snuff like my water-pumpers.

And alas, my Squareback only has one or two working lines Crying or Very sad
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: