Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

7 Steps to a happier back end - Vanagon sag
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
Jake,

that front ratio is interesting. On a syncro, the front ration is about 1.4:1.

alistair

Interesting. Sounds like Syncros have more front suspension travel and/or longer lower control arms. I have no experience with Syncros but the drawings in the Bentley appear to support that - it looks more like a leading arm design vs. the lateral wishbone type 2wd lower arm.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
it looks more like a leading arm design vs. the lateral wishbone type 2wd lower arm.

Especially on the later Syncros
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
kuleinc wrote:
Can anyone say roughly how much a half or one inch spacer nets you in actual height gained?

In the front the ratio is 2:1 and in the rear its 1.4:1 ie 1/2" in the front nets you a 1" lift, 1/2" in the rear gets you .7".

Rear ratio courtesy Volks Cafe.

For what it's worth, I just went out and roughly measured a set of front and rear 2wd arms and got the following ratios:

Front = 1.85:1 (a 0.50" spacer yields a 0.925" lift)
Rear = 1.14:1 (a 0.50" spacer yields a 0.57" lift)

Calculations made with a 30mm offset wheel.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]

Last edited by Christopher Schimke on Wed May 15, 2013 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
kuleinc wrote:
Can anyone say roughly how much a half or one inch spacer nets you in actual height gained?

In the front the ratio is 2:1 and in the rear its 1.4:1 ie 1/2" in the front nets you a 1" lift, 1/2" in the rear gets you .7".

For what it's worth, I just went out and roughly measured a set of front and rear 2wd arms and got the following ratios:

Front = 1.57:1 (a 0.50" spacer yields a 0.785" lift)
Rear = 1.11:1 (a 0.50" spacer yields a 0.555 lift)

That's mathematical, right - not 'on the van'?
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
kuleinc wrote:

Mathematical...but I screwed up! The original front calculation was taken from the pivot, spring and balljoint axis'. The corrected front calculation is from the pivot axis, spring axis and the centerline of the tire contact patch. The rear was recalculated to include the offset of the wheel. Below are the corrected calculations (also corrected in the original post):

Calculations made with a 30mm offset wheel. All measurements are approximate.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
kuleinc wrote:

Mathematical...but I screwed up! The original front calculation was taken from the pivot, spring and balljoint axis'. The corrected front calculation is from the pivot axis, spring axis and the centerline of the tire contact patch. The rear was recalculated to include the offset of the wheel. Below are the corrected calculations (also corrected in the original post):

Calculations made with a 30mm offset wheel. All measurements are approximate.

Thanks for the clarification, Chris! Wink

I plan to re-install the Carat springs in my van but with spacers, so that I get firmer springing but lose less ground clearance. I have a couple of sizes of HDPE here and will report my results.
www.thebassspa.com
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this defies the laws of physics.

How, if you lift all four corners with static blocks, can you lift an object (with mass), more than the height of the blocks at ALL 4 corners?

I can see how, if you are only placing spacers in the rear, the rear may lift slightly more than height of spacer.. because you are moving the center of gravity forward, thus more downward force moves over front wheels, and becomes less force over the rear..

But if all 4 corners go up? I think you're going to get pretty much the height of the spacers, as long as spacer are approx. equal in height

I was under the impression that these ratios are only applicable when you place one spacer in. Add a second spacer at any other corner and these numbers no longer hold true.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get more lift more than the spacer because the springs are mounted between the axle and the pivot of the cotrol arm. If the spring was right on top of the axle, the lift would equal the spacer, but it isn't.

If the spring was 1/2 way between the control arm pivot and the axle and you added a 1" spacer, it would lift the van 2" make sense?
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that for the front, maybe.. but I was not able to add a 3/8" spacer in there much less a 1/2"er.
The spring perch won't hold it.. Wants to squeeze the spring top out the side.
Have read that you can only go 1/4".. unless you buy the custom milled aluminum jobbers. So the 1/4" gives approx. 3/8"?

In the rear, I added 5/8"ers last year for a temporary adjustment.. and my measurement gave me about 5/8" lift at hub center. I guess its possible I was too sloppy in my measuring to see the 10% variation.
I have custom 16s in the rear now.. so maybe that factors, as well.

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
512dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the dimensions [inches] I used to make my own spacers, I used a 1/2" HDPE sheet for the material.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mwistrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: how do the spacers affect the camber? Reply with quote

So, it looks like 1" of spacer adds about ~1.2" of lift for the rear. How is the camber affected?

I've been trying to get the camber for the rear wheels in spec, but I've run out of range with the leading bolt/pivot arm. There is too much negative camber. I assume that my 23 year old springs have shrunk a bit and adding the spacers will get me closer, if not in, spec with respect to the camber.

Or am I going about this the wrong way? It seems that adding the spacers is what people do to level out the van, and they talk about how it handles differently, most times better, but no one has mentioned rear toe or camber. Is the alignment affected?

Thanks,
Mark
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here. Adding spacers helps. I have an extra stock rubber and a gowesty spacer on each side.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spacers compress springs really well.
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a stop gap measure until I get the new front lift springs and rear air springs installed...
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Spacers compress springs really well.

How do you figure that, Dylan? I've still got exactly the same amount of weight pushing down on them...
www.thebassspa.com
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They start to limit the amount of "space" between control arm and top spring perch. One spacer won't hurt, I wouldn't put more than what I've got. My sagging is especially bad when I tow my double place jet ski trailer in the summer. When not towing my van has a bit of rake...
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuleinc wrote:
They start to limit the amount of "space" between control arm and top spring perch. One spacer won't hurt, I wouldn't put more than what I've got. My sagging is especially bad when I tow my double place jet ski trailer in the summer. When not towing my van has a bit of rake...

Much success, here, with load assist adjustable air shocks for towing/hauling.
If you're level or raked when "normal", air up only as needed for the tow.
Best of both worlds, IMO.
They can be plumbed independently to correct side to side.. if the van has any lean.

You might also find that a rear sway bar improves handling considerably in a van like your's that is used to haul gear.. and really helps settle the rear down when towing.
I used the Addco with some subtle "adjustments" to install.. Quite pleased in day-to-day driving.. as well as the heavy stuff.

danfromsyr wrote:
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: You may have to remove both lower control arm bolts on some vehicles. This may have been said somewhere between here and the first page.

Update #2: I made spacers as in original post for two different Westys. Orignals were done in 2000. I used one set for 4 years on my '85, and another set on my '84 for 6 years.

Update #3: I sure am glad what seemed like a harebrained idea at first has helped so many people.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine have been on probably bout 8 years or more. I saw them on your original web site and I used a band saw to cut them out. No problems and thanks for the idea!
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently used a Dremel tool to make more circular circles. The hole already cut was done by hand, so not as pretty.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: