Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fixing Up My Bus - 1978 Kombi!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
Awww I wish I could come hang out in the PNW with you guys... shucks! Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jk...ill come visit you someday tony Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, SecretSub AKA Tony. That's a long drive.

Here's another pic to keep you company....

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sexy bus...we should roll that up next to mine and see the comparison...Very Happy

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really hoping you were going to arrive in your bus. Wanted to check it out. I made my wife move her Subaru to the street to make you a spot. Very Happy

Next time.... plenty of work yet to do!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daverham wrote:
I was really hoping you were going to arrive in your bus. Wanted to check it out. I made my wife move her Subaru to the street to make you a spot. Very Happy

Next time.... plenty of work yet to do!

haha definately! or you can swing up north and we can go through your electrical at my place, where i have all my extra wiring and toold n such....lol along with a ton more parking Very Happy

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good.

Today... A couple minor upgrades inside. I made a little trim piece for the bottom edge of the bulkhead top-pad, which was wrinkly, cracked and very ugly.

And my wife sewed up a little curtain for the cabinet that I made.

Before - check out that wrinkly bottom edge of the pad. It was really ugly in person.

After: Trim Board... much better!

After: Curtain...

Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another pic. I saw this empty lot that looked like it needed a bus in it...

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good.....i got free time this week man...and my car got broken into over the weekend and my cash was all in my wallet (all 150 that i have- had to my name Laughing) so unless i land a job this week, i got nothing else to do but learn. Very Happy hit me up!

and no im not saying pay me...im just saying keep me occupied Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you notice any difference in the ride when switching to the vanagon wheels?
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart. That SUCKS. Break-ins make me furious Mad I would love some help lowering the back... just to get it done faster. You want to tackle one side while I do the other? That would be killer. I can slide you $25 or something if it helps your broke, student ass. At least cover your gas money and then some. After work this week? Tomorrow (tue)??

Stuco, I don't believe the wheels made much difference in the ride. It's hard to remember exactly, but I don't think anything was really notable. Maybe a little better just because the newer/nicer tires were on there. And while we're talking about that.... the drop spindles on front didn't really change the ride either - at least they didn't really change the suspension/travel. But cruising is definitely more fun. You can see/feel that it's lower from the cockpit for sure. Now it feels more like a CAR and way less like an old, flappin', soggy pickup TRUCK. Actually, driving now reminds me of my buddy's old GTI a little bit. It used to remind me of my dad's 75 Ford Pickup.

But it's not any stiffer or harder or anything negative like that - and it's not scraping, rubbing or having any of those problems. In my opinion: it's just fantastic.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daverham wrote:
Stuart. That SUCKS. Break-ins make me furious Mad I would love some help lowering the back... just to get it done faster. You want to tackle one side while I do the other? That would be killer. I can slide you $25 or something if it helps your broke, student ass. At least cover your gas money and then some. After work this week? Tomorrow (tue)??

But it's not any stiffer or harder or anything negative like that - and it's not scraping, rubbing or having any of those problems. In my opinion: it's just fantastic.

sounds like a plan...Laughing moneys up to you, i wont ask for it.

just imagine if all your shocks are new, properly inflated tires (have you done this yet?) , and lowered.....haha what a combo...

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah. I inflated my tires to 50 PSI yesterday (they were at 30 Confused ). That must also be a factor in how much I loved driving this morning!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daverham wrote:
Oh yeah. I inflated my tires to 50 PSI yesterday (they were at 30 Confused ). That must also be a factor in how much I loved driving this morning!

so you noticed the difference around corners? haha handling goes WAYY up...Very Happy

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corners. Straight. Everywhere. Just tighter in general. Oh and you must have succeeded in breaking that right side caliper piston loose, because now it pulls to the right. Good work Smile
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daverham wrote:
Corners. Straight. Everywhere. Just tighter in general. Oh and you must have succeeded in breaking that right side caliper piston loose, because now it pulls to the right. Good work Smile

now we gotta break the other side loose...haha

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daverham wrote:

Thats awesome. I'm glad you like the results. The empty lot shot is great. Smile

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you noticed how much further you can see out the back window with the rear view mirror yet? raising the butt or dropping the front changes the angle to a further distance....go outside and see Very Happy

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daverham wrote:

Stuco, I don't believe the wheels made much difference in the ride. It's hard to remember exactly, but I don't think anything was really notable. Maybe a little better just because the newer/nicer tires were on there. And while we're talking about that.... the drop spindles on front didn't really change the ride either - at least they didn't really change the suspension/travel. But cruising is definitely more fun. You can see/feel that it's lower from the cockpit for sure. Now it feels more like a CAR and way less like an old, flappin', soggy pickup TRUCK. Actually, driving now reminds me of my buddy's old GTI a little bit. It used to remind me of my dad's 75 Ford Pickup.

Thanks for the feedback. The vanagon wheels look great but if there is not much difference in ride I will probably just get mine cleaned up for now since I like both looks equally. I do like that the vanagon rims are 1 piece, readily available and will never rust.
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to get new nuts for the Vanagon wheels. Your stock ones don't have the right shape to the seat. Cone/dome. I forget which is which. And anyway, you'd want nice chrome-capped ones.

If you're ambivalent, then I'd stick with stock. All other things being equal... people love a stock bus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: