Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The rise of SURFMACHINE
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
supdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: The rise of SURFMACHINE Reply with quote

Hey guys!

I got a lot of feedback regarding the rebuild question I had HERE on my Ebay find, dead engine, much bodywork needed Westy. I decided to fix it right!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I grew up with a Westy so it seems only natural that I keep that dream alive. This is my surfing/camping/weekend getaway/gear hauler so I doubt I'm going to spend much money on the aestetics (bodywork) for now. I'm going to focus on getting her running right and staying reliable.

I pulled the 1.9 engine and preformed a leakdown test. Things didn't look very good. We decided it needed pistons and rings, a head rebuild, etc, and took a peek at the crank wear surfaces. Bad news. Wear on the connecting rod was bad enough that the engine needed a full bottom end rebuild! See picture. Well, that sucks.

I weighed my options. I didn't want to pull the trigger on new bottom end parts and split the cases since I don't have a ton of extra time and my van was in pieces at the shop. I actually made the phone call to AVP and got in line for delivery on a rebuilt 2.1 but instead found a good deal on a local 2.1 motor that just needed to be retrofit and fired up.

Ready to plug and play! OR SO I THOUGHT!

We started checking into the 2.1, pulling off the bad parts, ordering a bunch of new things like motor mounts, gasket kit, exhaust hardware, clutch, new water pump, replacement hoses, and a few extra parts I needed to plug the 2.1 into my 1.9. I used THIS LINK for the replacement info. As we're chugging along prepping the 2.1 for install, I found that the rocker adjustment screw for the #1 intake had totally grenaded and the rocker had been slapping against the valve spring keeper for a few hundred miles! Just a few minor setbacks.... grrrr.... So we pulled a valve from 1.9, checked for leaks, and proceeded with the installation.
Here's a glamor shot of the powdercoated goodies:

Here it is all buttoned up ready for install:

Just needed an exhaust crack welded up real quick...

Stabbed it in on a Saturday morning and had it turning over before lunchtime but no ignition yet. We checked all the obvious things: fuel pressure, compression, spark, valve clearance, timing... Wait... Is the timing different on the 1.9 distributor? YUP! So we clocked the rotor key inside the motor 90 degrees, now the timing was correct but still no ignition.

After scratching our heads and spraying some starting fluid in the intake manifold we realized we had a fuel delivery problem. We talked our way through the fuel delivery system and my mechanic got a pretty smug look on his face. He realized we had swapped the full and return lines!

She runs like a dream, finished up a shakedown camping trip last weekend and had plenty of power the whole way there and back. I even pulled a dirt bike trailer around town!

Now to address the next gremlins...
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. D'oh!
randiego
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos.... love the blue powdercoat! Cool Cool
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, and in keeping with the spirit and ancient tradition of VW van owners - you did it yourself.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
supdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few more pics from the shakedown camping trip. My bro has an '82 Westy. We camped with some coworkers. Guns, Dirtbikes, BBQ, Beer. Good times.

VanagonLEDs.com
supdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Surf Trip? Check! Reply with quote

After preforming all the 'baja mods' (thread HERE) I set out on a San Diego surf trip with a friend. We surfed Sunset Cliffs, Blacks, San Elijo, Trestles, El Porto, Santa Monica, and Rincon over the course of a 4 day trip back home. The van ran great with the exception of the master cylinder failing on me. Made it home with no problems, but it was pretty annoying on the way home, or stopped in traffic.

Here are some pics:

Post surf- Trestles

Dominoes and Tequila

Post surf- Rincon, ready to head home

Post surf- El Elijo, roof rack/drying rack
(not recommended @70mph in cross winds, i lost a wetsuit shortly after this picture was taken)

Waiting in SD. "Do you live in there?" "What are you selling?" I guess I gave off that vibe.

VanagonLEDs.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: