Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UHMW Tape: Slider Door Sound Mod + others
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: UHMW Tape: Slider Door Sound Mod + others Reply with quote

Introduction

I inadvertantly stumbled upon a great product that has a lot of practical application both around the house and in our vans. Ultra High Molecular Weight PolyEthylene (UHMWPE) is a plastic with high abrasion resistance, low coefficient of friction, and is used in many commercial applications like conveyor belts, chute liners, chain guides, and basically anywhere a durable - wear reducing surface is needed. You can read more about it here:

http://www.crownplastics.com/

I decided to pick some of the adhesive backed tape from a local plastics shop and test out a few things. The following is what I found.

Slider Door

I bought a roll of UHMW tape (1.5" wide x 0.010" thick). I decided to try it along the glides on the slider door wherever there was metal to metal contact. I was successful in applying it along three different locations. First, and most obvious, was along the bottom of the slider where the roller runs in the channel just below the floor level. I simply used a simple spray-bottle degreaser to clean the area out well and applied the tape where the roller passes. Very easy to see where it travels as there is a distinct worn section of metal visible.

The next section was on the inside of the van above the door. Here I placed it along one side of the recessed channel, outboard side. The inboard side is not necessary as the roller guide generally does not make contact since the door's weight tends to keep it to the outside. Besides, I'm not certain both sides could be lined due to tight tolerances - more on that in a moment.

The third and final location I used this material was on the outside of the van under the panel that hides the exterior roller track. There is one primary roller that runs vertically along a narrow lip of steel. For this I merely trimmed a piece of UHMW tape lengthwise and then creased it along the middle. I then placed this folded piece over the narrow lip. I also tried fitting a piece in the channel just above this for the two smaller rollers, though I found this to be too tight for the material thickness I had, and thus scrapped that location as it impeded movement.

Once complete, I regreased all the rollers (not the surface of the tape) and tested everything out. I was very pleased with the new sound! It no longer has that "jet engine at takeoff" sound as a majority of the metal to metal contact has been eliminated. It rolls very smoothly as well. Overall the sound difference is significantly quieter and less "abrasive".

*As a side note, I do keep these areas well cleaned and greased at least twice a year, so it's not as if my baseline was a neglected nor abused track.

Upper Bunk

I decided I liked this material so much I would try it elsewhere. I wanted to eliminate the screech that comes from folding out the upper bunk and the resulting metal to metal contact at the hinges. I quickly unscrewed the hinges, laid down a couple pieces, trimmed with an Exacto knife, and screwed the hinges back down. Now the hinges operate totally noise free! Very Happy

Drawer

The last location I tried this stuff was on the drawer glides. My drawer occasionally sticks, so I cut two pieces to adhere to the wooden drawer guides inside the cabinet. To make it even slicker I ran a very thin coat of petroleum jelly atop the UHMW tape. Now the drawer slides open almost too effortlessly. It's a good thing those catches are in place or I would have dropped the drawer a couple times while playing with it.

Seat tracks

I considered doing the seat tracks but decided against it. It looked to be too tight for the addition of the tape, and thus I abandoned the idea. Not certain if it would hinder track movement, I simply regreased the tracks and left them alone.

Overall impressions with the UHMW tape

Thus far I'm ecstatic over this stuff. I'll need to assess its performance over time, though I'm confident that if it's used extensively in the commercial environment, it will hold up well on my van. One thing to note is not all UHMW is UV stable. I believe only the black material is UV stable (not the stuff I have) though I'm not worried about my application as it's not in direct sunlight for any great lengths of time.

Also, if anyone comes up with other locations where this might be of benefit, please let me know and I'll test it out. I still have yards of the stuff left on the roll. BTW - the roll cost a whopping $14 at Power Plastics in NW Portland.
TroySmith80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, i should do the same. Not too long ago I was at this pretty cool desert bonfire party / bluegrass jam thing, and everyone camped out. We had to leave early in the morning and i felt like a jerk every time i opened and closed the slider while everyone else was still asleep! Quiet is nice!
motelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus camp outs just wouldn't be the same without all those noisy sliders. I'll do mine anyway. It'll make the midnight pee run much quieter for my wife.
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did you buy it?
their site shows links to distributors,
but the distrubutors site doesn't list it. (the tape)
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

240Gordy wrote:
how did you buy it?

I just called up one of the shops local to me and asked if they had any in stock. The first two didn't but said they could order it, the third had some on the shelf.

I'd call around to any of your local plastics shops. This isn't something unique to crown plastics, I just included the link for reference. Hell, I even found some on eBay.
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the U.S. the type of plastic is known under the brand name of "Spectra". It is used extensively in anti-ballistic armor, tow ropes, climbing ropes and a bunch of other apps. Thanks for the thread, I didn't know I could get it in tape.
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

240Gordy wrote:
how did you buy it?

PlasticWorks in Surrey is probably the best bet around here. I don't know if they stock it, but they can get pretty much anything.

http://www.plasticworks.ca/catalog/index.php

If you call them post back here with the cost Smile

Robyn
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

240Gordy wrote:
how did you buy it?

Here is a supplier in Canada, but they ship to the US as well. (a very dangerous site for wood workers)
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=&p=32182&cat=1,110,43466
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perales wrote:

Here is a supplier in Canada, but they ship to the US as well. (a very dangerous site for wood workers)

D#*M you Perales.... Now I have to order a bunch of really cool carpentry stuff... Laughing

They have some things I have never seen before!
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI,
McMaster-carr is a great place to get stuff like this. They will ship to anybody with a CC.
BSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UMHW (aka PTEX) is used for ski bases.
motelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's here too. Common woodworking material.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=uhmw...v97eqmos_e
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sc-surfer wrote:
Perales wrote:

D#*M you Perales.... Now I have to order a bunch of really cool carpentry stuff... Laughing

They have some things I have never seen before!

Do yourself a favor and get them to send you their catalog, or view it online http://www.leevalley.com/Home/OnlineCatalogs.aspx?c=1
BCWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up some of the UHMW tape at my local Lee Valley store and put it on the slider's for my side door. Still need to do the top track, but I'm very happy with the noise reduction. I plan on doing the drawer as well. thanks for the idea 1621
dumpling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slider door was operable only going into the opening motions from a full linebacker crouch. Rotary tool wire brush, paint and UHMW tape on the rails and she's easy like Sunday morning.

1621, thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another great fix for the UHMW tape.
I have always had trouble getting the instrument cluster cover to come off. It has always been a bugger and I feel like it is going to break every time I remove it. I put some UHMW tape on the surface of the metal clips that hold the cover in place. It is now very easy to remove when I need to, but totally secure in place.
vweggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UHMW! That brings back memories. I worked for a snowboard manufacturer in Vancouver from '93-'99. We used to buy miles of that stuff from Crown Plastics for our bases and topsheets. Extremely durable stuff.

If memory serves me right it's important to sand and flame treat the plastic (an ordinary propane torch will work) if you want to bond it to anything. Don't over do it on the flame treating, just enough to give it a haze but not melt it.
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried using this on the sliding (read: screaming) window tracks? Or are they too tight, small and narrow for application?
windnsea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try HDSD (HIgh Density Structural Vacuum) - handles loads and weighs nothing! (just joking)

I recently cleaned my slider door tracks and the bearing assemblies and was amazed at the difference. I'll have to look into the product - with age the lube grease does pick up dust and dirt!
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about putting squares of this tape on the rear brake backing plates where the brake shoes ride on it, instead of grease. Cool

Has anyone seen this stuff at a Home Depot or Lowes?

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: