Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

5 speed?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
superbtl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: 5 speed? Reply with quote

whats the easiest one to install without cutting and chopping stuff? just looking for multiple options.
stealth67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berg.
7.76 @ 89.55mph 1/8 mile
12.34 and 108.10 mph 1/4 mile
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mikey 5 speed is the only one I know of that requires no chopping up of the car....

Berg may be your only alternative unless you buy a used one.

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe. I had one of those years ago. It was not a very good trans. He's been out of business a long time now so I doubt anything is findable.
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the problem you had?

Mike L. has never gone out of business...He is alive and well, and still in business in Portland Oregon.... I don't think he has produced a run of 5 speeds in awhile.

The last time I talked to him he had a prototype for a 5 speed that was alot better than a Berg. I'm not sure if he ever mass produced that one.

Berg requires that you chop and pound on your car.... This one does not, it also does not have 5th gear in the nose cone area.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 5 Joe wrote:

The last time I talked to him he had a prototype for a 5 speed that was alot better than a Berg. I'm not sure if he ever mass produced that one.

Talk is cheap. Berg has hundreds of examples of their 5 speeds on the street. Mikey has what.... ONE???
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are absolutely right Bruce.... Talk is the cheapest thing out there.

Lets see your 5 speed kit. -Or anything you have developed.

-Oh thats right... an extra long clutch arm, impressive. Rolling Eyes

spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gather 'round. Place your bets...

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original poster was asking about a 5 speed that you did not have to cut, weld or beat on your car to install...

The Mikey five speed is the only tranny conversion I know of that you could bolt right in your vintage bug, split window, whatever... And not cut it up, beat on the metal, or hack your nice original car up in any way.

The Mikey five speed was developed and sold mostly when the Gene Berg (1st version) was pulled from the market.... Mike told me he had sold approximately 1500 kits Internationally. I'm not sure that is true.

Later Gene Berg came out with the "blue book" and stated that "Many have tried and failed "....."the Mikey 5 speed from Oregon has all but come and gone" Or something of this nature. I tell you this really pissed off Mike, Vince, and Joe L. (the originator of the DTM fanshroud and Mikes father).

They just about sued Gene Berg Enterprises, and made him recall, or correct all of the blue books sold.

Say what you want about the Mikey five speed... Love it or hate it, it did have some good features. The fifth gear is inside the tranny case, not in the nose cone like the Berg design. If you run a bit low on tranny fluid with a Berg 5, get ready to burn up 5th gear. No cutting or hacking either, another great feature.

I drove the very 1st car equipped with a Mikey 5 speed AND a DTM Type IV back in the early 80's. It was a blast to drive, and we all took turns beating on it.

I saw Mikes 2nd version 5 speed prototype gear carrier. It was supported by 2nd intermediate housing with bearings that split the difference between the length of the shafts. This is the feature that made it superior to Bergs. Nobody make one like this, and it is alot tougher.

And Bruce, as far as your talk being cheap.... Let me tell you brother that Mike L. has (and still has) more ability in the end joint of his pinkie finger, than you will ever have in your whole body. Their family has developed more for VW's than the whole Nation of Canada.

Good Day Now Hoser.

cptcliffhanger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOH!
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sure is interesting.

Is the Mikey five speed still available? How could I obtain more information on that?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Berg 5 needed very minor body clearancing, has taken everything i've tossed at it and shifts like a stock 4 speed.

I've been into VWs for 40 years and have never seen a Micky 5 in person and only pictures in old magazine from the early 80s.

This was news to me that he actually made 1500 kits.

Where are they???? I'd like to see one.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 5 Joe wrote:
.... Mike told me he had sold approximately 1500 kits .....

BULL$HIT!

Type 5 Joe wrote:

And Bruce, as far as your talk being cheap.... Let me tell you brother that Mike L. has (and still has) more ability in the end joint of his pinkie finger, than you will ever have in your whole body. Their family has developed more for VW's than the whole Nation of Canada.

Pretty weak! Is that all you could come up with?
mutly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has become yet another typical reply for this forum. Someone comes here to get answers, and information from the experts and gets caught in a P@&^ing contest. Just for once can someone just answer the question, and leave it at that.
Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutly wrote:
This has become yet another typical reply for this forum. Someone comes here to get answers, and information from the experts and gets caught in a P@&^ing contest. Just for once can someone just answer the question, and leave it at that.

Mr. 7 posts... Understand it's just the internet. Everything that's been said is valid and I'm sure if we all could have a cold beverage of our liking it wouldn't sound nearly as hostile. These are key contributors you're complaining about...if it weren't for these guys this site wouldn't be this great...It's more like a thought provoking lively debate Wink

Although I've never tried it, what would be involved in fitting a Hewland/Webster ( who needs synchros) or Transform 5-speed in a full bodied car? Berg has the market and I don't think anyone can argue that, but others have given a stab at it...
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mikey 5..
The whole story behind it and the Berg 5 is very interesting... Mike's Dad told me all about it and shared some documents with me about it years ago. It involves an Engineering student and a few other key players.

Last year I had contemplated buying the Mikey 5 components and molds/etc from Mike to begin the production again with a few updates.. Then the local guy that was going to assist me with it flaked out and I decided to spend my time and money in a different market.

I primarily wanted to use the Mikey 5 to fit into 356 applications with TIV engines and the DTM shroud. I thought that would be cool to carry on the DTM from Mike's Dad and revive the Mikey 5.

That said, I prefer the Porsche 5, specifically the 915... But I don't drag race Smile
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I could be wrong about the approx 1500 kits, but that is what Mike told me.

He did have a small ad in Hot VW's, and Maybe VWTrends also? For Many, many years.... I could get out my old magazines and tell you exactly how many years he advertised in hot VW's. His ad was for the 5 speed kit alone, although he built trannys stock and performance also.I personally saw hundreds of kit go out the door just during the times I would stop by the shop.

Believe me one does not run an add in the magazines for that many years at what they charge, without doing some sales. You are not around for that long if your product does not work either.

I know he shipped kits and finished trannys all over the world, and this was all pre-internet.

Mike shared a shop with another friend of mine, and we all hung out together from High School ----> through our 30's. We did a lot of sandrailing together at the Oregon Coast.

Joe (Mikes Dad) would be down there at least 1-2 days a week.

I was around before and during the development of the DTM and the 5 speed... I saw alot of them go out the door over the years until I moved to central Oregon, then Joe passed away.

And Like I said before, Mike had a 2nd version Mikey 5 speed prototype, and he also had plans for a sequential shift six speed VW type transaxle.

Glenn, there is quite a difference between making room for a Berg 5 in a late beetle compared to a 50's vintage bug... I'm sure there has to be some reference here on this site as to what is involved. I would think twice before hacking on a very nice vintage car.... Then I would not do it.

Hey Bruce.... Maybe if these come out on the market, you can start knocking-off replacement hockey sticks like you have for the Berg 5. You really are the samba's Canadian Genius. We are all waiting for you to revolutionize the hobby, one copied part at a time.

Well that's the story, from someone that was actually there.

- Joe

Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:

Last year I had contemplated buying the Mikey 5 components and molds/etc from Mike to begin the production again with a few updates.. Then the local guy that was going to assist me with it flaked out and I decided to spend my time and money in a different market. Smile

Jake i do hope you some how make this happen because i was thinking to putting a 5 speed type1 box in my car for the longest while but to buy a berg five and then hack the hell out of my car to put it in was a turnoff. I also have a 091 gearbox that i would love to use also in my car with my t4 engine when built but i don't know where to start.

LandD in canada makes a 091 intermediate housing for the 091 to bug conversation which would allow me to use the wider gears from the 091 in the box, they are also doing a five speed kit but if you have to hack the car up to put this in that wouldn't make any sense.

Does anyone know if the originator of the mikey 5 does five speed kit for the 091 box.
Tbirdusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 5 speed? Reply with quote

superbtl wrote:
whats the easiest one to install without cutting and chopping stuff? just looking for multiple options.

And if you have to cut and chop, what cutting and chopping is involved?
flatfour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If marketed properly and availability of parts were there I would consider one, especially if someone like Jake was marketing them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: