Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carburetor adjustment
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nybugguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Carburetor adjustment Reply with quote

I am running a new 34 pct empi carb and it seems to run good with factory settings except for low rpm take offs.It will spit and sputter when taking off until the rpm's come up and then it smooths out. It also feels like it is holding back from power when cruising down the road at 55-60.I referred to my haines manual and took the adjustment screws all the way in and then backed them out 2 1/2 turns.With that being said which screw(bigger air screw)or(smaller gas screw) adjustment should be made and in what direction....in or out. Any suggestion will help and Thank you for your replys.
LeeVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of distributor do you have? Does it have a vacuum line?

Have you tried adjusting the accelerator pump on the carb?

Lee
nybugguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a vacuum line but have no idea how to adjust the pump...
johncollins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this will help,
http://www.aircooledtech.com/34pict3_modification/

You could try a pop rivet to see if it helps.
LeeVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post photos of the distributor, its vacuum line, and where the line is connected to the carb? Just want to make sure it's all hooked up properly. Also be sure any unused vacuum ports are plugged.

To adjust the accelerator pump, you first have to determine if you CAN adjust it. See if it has an adjustable bell crank like in this photo:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If so, loosen the bolt and turn the ball crank towards the + side, lock it down, go for a drive. If it gets better, you're on the right track. If it's worse, try going the opposite direction.

Lee
hottarod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your pump shot. You should see a good strong squirt of gas. The acelerator pump channels are some of the first to get clogged up with something. The pump diaphram could also be cracked or weak and need replacing.

Turning the screws clockwise or in is lower/leaner and turning them out is the opposite. 2 1/2 is a starting point for adjusting your carb. Keep in mind that these screws control your engine up to around 2000 rpms. Set the fast idle screw first like all the helps say. Make sure your timing is set too. Adjust the big n little screws with the engine warmed up, no choke on and with the air cleaner on.

Once you have your idle/low speed screws initially set and the engine will wing up ok sitting still take it out and run it for a few miles. Don't exceed 2000 rpms. Pull over, stop and check 1 or 2 of your plugs(3 or 4 is best). Make sure they have good color. If not, adjust your fuel screw accordingly and recheck your idle rpms.

After that make sure you have a smooth transition from under 2000 rpms to over 2000 rpms. If it feels like its falling flat you may be too lean on the main jet.

Last edited by hottarod on Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
dazn9796
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do yourself the biggest favor you will ever do. Throw that thing in the trash and get a 30/31 Pict carb. Easier to tune and no flat spots. I have had two or three of these carbs and nothing but trouble with all of them. Took them all off and put the 30/ 31 carb on and voila no more problems.

Dave

70 Safari Trail
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: