Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cloud 9... '67 SO42
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
totemwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys....Alright, so today I spent time on headlights. The assemblies were complete but needed new bulb and bit crusty inside housings. Dissasembly featured flying spring/clips that had ranges up to 12 ft. There location in garage was only revealed but a quiet Tink Tink Tink upon landing Shocked Rubber grommets had petrified. Basically cleaned em up and painted. Reassembly featured 3 false starts and couldn't remember set up for a bit.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nothin special here but I do like the little running lights Surprised

Hardly the light at the end of the tunnel for this project but runner, low and high beams are present now

Last edited by totemwesty on Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keysar
Samba Grammar Tutor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great! Smile
totemwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the rear lights dialed intoday...Not good bulb contact cuase prongs were kind of crudy. I took them out of housing and sanded em up, this spot has always been suspect in my past VWs so it feels like reward

I was solo and needed brakes on....after an array of efforts in the cab that included cinder block, boards, cords, etc. I was underneath pedals and..... Idea ....put a cheater between brake pedal and master cyl.....brake on long as I needed.

Heres the lenses ohhhh wowwww, I know, but do note non original screw and rust from it on trim ring

The buckets intalled with new seals and the lenses reveal bright brakes/turn signal, and runner lights all on now.....next up plate light and I am over wiring for a bit Rolling Eyes Surprised

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
totemwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys....So the door windows assemblies got attention today. Both sides had all parts exept latch rail on inside. They worked fine but are kinda weathered so I sanded em down. Left original paint on the inside. Full dissasembely would be nice down the line but some pretty rusty screws prevented it here.

So I cut old seal in half and by working back and forth in channel it basically came out in 2 crusty strips.

So now I have them ready to reinstall. I got em looking fine and made sure to sand/clean debris from seal channel so my new seals will be easier to put in. Thanks for looking.

totemwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things went well this morning. I was able to get new seals slid in window assemblies w/ ease! I mounted assemblie on door and got everything aligned. The door seal under assemblie was tricky and needed lube and as it was wedged tight around posts. Then the bolt holes were high and so I started under-sill nuts to draw it down. I then needed to use a screwdriver in lower holes as lever to get upper bolts started. Shut door and seal to body will need the old talc tip from thread Hazetguy resently revived....pics, enjoy, have a good day....

brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are moving along with the quickness. Looking Good!
My first 5 buses (daily drivers) were westies.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
totemwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is whats on the workbench today. I went to the Northwest Bug In last week-end. Was going through swap and pretty much right away I spotted fried eggs on a table. Always been missing these so wasnt sure if there are right and left?...."yeah man...10 bucks for both..." so got em and later saw R and L. Bulbs in em too so I put them on today.

I have this box of seals that came w/ the bus...these few dont have tags and I dont recognize them. Could someone help me and tell me where they go? In return I will do the right thing....Dedicate a picture of these installed to them in my thread! Very Happy Thanks for visiting today.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

totemwesty wrote:
I have this box of seals that came w/ the bus...these few dont have tags and I dont recognize them. Could someone help me and tell me where they go? In return I will do the right thing....Dedicate a picture of these installed to them in my thread! Very Happy Thanks for visiting today.

The 3 sticking out look like the engine decklid seal. There are 4 pieces though.

The grey square seal in the background looks like a cargo door seal piece.

And what looks like a fan belt in the upper left.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
totemwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all....He was right! Today I put on engine decklid seals. Here is a pic as promised w/ a nod to E.B.

Also spent some time going over window sets. Kinda strange corrosion on these. Weird dust present as I sanded em up and later my fingers were all dry and figidy. Anyways all the screens are in good shape w/out holes. Some of them wont open but the turn mech. seems fine. I suspect the steel rivets and vaguely recall a quote from majorwoody about what he would do to the engineer who decided on them....Oh well, other than that they are ready to go back in! Have a good week-end.

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

totemwesty, nice work very motivating quick question what paint did you use in the headlight buckets and what paint did you use on the roof panels?
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
totemwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day. Linda, I used dupli-cote primer gray for paint on those parts. Not so scuff-resistant though but got em even look. I got these seatbelts w/ bus. The PO had them anchored w/ giant washer through some factory hole in pedistall area Shocked The latches and recoil worked well. I decided to re-use them for now as they are safe and have a kinda old look to them. They only needed one bit of modification and were ready to re-install Cool ...Sits a bit off in my head but something for down the line....Thanks.

Last edited by totemwesty on Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great progress. I like this tread Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
totemwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day everyone.....Alright well I spent some time contourted up in the cab today. All stationary windows are now in w/ new seals. The side window was installed w/ friend who knew how. Then I did the pass. side windshield install solo. I tried drivers windshield but couldnt reach since pass. windshield was in and so waited for a friend to help. Great, now for some fun stuff like rear-veiw mirror. I finnesed the snubber out before paint and it was well recieved by windsheild post w/ just a twist in. Kersnapp and the ashtray was in. Antenna on tight and extends fully. I believe the hand possition nessecary to install speedo is the same possition for *%#! in sign-language. Gas guage not so much. Grab handle sturdy, parcel-tray in, kick boards in.

Its nothing for me to say as things move along and this Bus becomes more complete it becomes rewarding

Last edited by totemwesty on Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
maxxh2o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good J.....keeping it clean and looking nice!
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any update on this?
totemwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cloud 9... '67 SO42 Reply with quote

It took quite some time but I finally got it done. After gathering information I took my bus to the DMV with all necessary forms to apply for a title. The bus was inspected and the application was reviewed.

totemwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cloud 9... '67 SO42 Reply with quote

After waiting patiently the title and plates/registration arrived. Now to get back to work on my bus.

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cloud 9... '67 SO42 Reply with quote

Nice thread revival. Westy is looking good.
totemwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cloud 9... '67 SO42 Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Today the bus is up on stands. I am getting new tires. The bus has not been on the road since '82, some of the tires were likely quite older than that. They were all obviously worn out but it was interesting to see the old manufacturers and logos. Cordova, Sears, Continental, etc. The Rims overall are in good shape with some missing hubcap clips and 2 minor dings. Currently researching new tire specs and makes.

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Cloud 9... '67 SO42 Reply with quote

Congratulations totemwesty, looking forward to more updates after you get the new tires.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: