Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cheap Child's Cot Alternative
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gary1998
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats great be doing one soon
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how I've done it. Use the cot made for the bay bus and hang it from the seat belt anchors and the grab handles (you need to ad one to the left side).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Kudos Reply with quote

r1100rta wrote:
Well done? I am thinking bunk bed with the cot on top and the half inch plywood bed on the bottom? Anyone have issues with paint or torn door rubber? I am thinking the cargo strap material would be a little more gentle on the van. Thoughts?

I'm with you on that. I used cargo straps ( a few pics up - blue ) and had no problem.

K
r1100rta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Cots Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Here is how I've done it. Use the cot made for the bay bus and hang it from the seat belt anchors and the grab handles (you need to ad one to the left side).

I like the idea of adding a grab handle, but how did you connect to the seat belt anchors and grab bar? Any close-ups?
irgsmoore4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These Hammoks are so cool , and with 2 kids (2 & 5 ) and a 3rd on the way this is something i must make .
Thanks for sharing Cool
Wife,3 kids 1 dog(luna)
"Needle Noddle Noo"
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cot idea is really inventive.. both of the designs are great!
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: childs cot Reply with quote

Hey folks!

I thought I would post my version of the childs cot for your vanagon. I had a couple pieces of 1" aluminum pipe,some hardwood pieces,lots of rope and an 8 yr old! All I needed was a piece of material sewn up($45) and some hardware($10).

Personally I found it a pain in the butt to hang the stoppers outside the doorframe. I opted for small utility hooks from Lee Valley and eyebolts. I used two pieces of maple to keep the bars spread under load...55lbs. Very Happy

I haven't quite finished tweaking the rope length yet...

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
berkeleyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me likey, Mikey9!

Cute solution to what to do with a little one in a Vanagon. Very Happy
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: front cot Reply with quote

Just got back from the first weekend with the new front cot and thought I'd share the results. I can say without a doubt it was a HUGE success! My daughter absolutely loved her own little space.

We used a few magnets to hold up a fleece throw as a curtain. This turned out to be the only downside because I woke up both mornings staring at a larger than life size Justin Bieber face. Very disturbing.

If any of you folks are considering this upgrade I would highly recommend it.

Brian.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:

Twisted Evil

But are those homemade alternatives up to the true test?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
WestiCoast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my kids cot all finished. Works great. I used flat nylon webbing strap from my rock climbing gear pile and 1 1/4" schedule 40 PVC. I forget my measurements but it is just big enough to fit behind the folding section of the upper bunk. My little boy loves it.

gilmob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the coolest thread I've ever stumbled across. My ride just went from sleeping 4 comfortably to potentially sleeping 7. Pretty wild stuff
nij_tp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestiCoast wrote:
I got my kids cot all finished. Works great. I used flat nylon webbing strap from my rock climbing gear pile and 1 1/4" schedule 40 PVC. I forget my measurements but it is just big enough to fit behind the folding section of the upper bunk. My little boy loves it.

What did you use outside the bus, some type of hook or the pvc tube?
1989 Vanagon GL a parts bus
1984 Westralia
2006 Audi A4 2.0T with a unitronic tune
2007 Toyota Sequoia
1976 Mercury Capri 2.3l
1986 Honda Shadow VT700
2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800
1988 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2018 Chonda Hawk 250cc
1995 Subaru SVX (possible 3.3. swap)
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestiCoast wrote:

Anybody tried ratchet straps? Could go right over the roof an provide door-open support and also some height-adjustment. Could allow you to raise it up closer to the ceiling during the day for better access to the front? The eyelet set-up bjrogers86auto showed could work well with those.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestiCoast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a short section of 3/4" schedual 40 PVC. I cut a slot big enought to pull the flat webbing strap thru and out one side of the pipe. Then I tied a knot and pulled the strap back thru so the knot is inside of the pipe. I can re adjust the hight by retieing my knots but I have been happy with the height so far.

bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: cots Reply with quote

I think ratchet straps would work pretty good. The thing you have to consider with going outside is the possibility of water wicking in on your straps. That was one of the reasons I went with the interior set up. PLUS...I can pack it all up without opening doors as well as open the doors if need be when the little one is sleeping!

Just my thoughts..

Brian

geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: cots Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
The thing you have to consider with going outside is the possibility of water wicking in on your straps.

Good point! the interior hangers are sounding better all the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are the *best*!!! Thank you so much!

I took your wonderful list to the plumbing outfitter and handed it to the guy at the store and said, "I need these things, please". The guy at the store was not so smart and couldn't figure it out. Lucky for me there was a very kind nice plumber there that was smart AND helpful. The very nice and kind plumber was even nice enough to take his saw and tape measure and cut it to SIZE for me! Very Happy I'll have to remember to bring along a bag of cookies next time I go there, as I'm sure I won't get that lucky again and the pvc pipe wouldn't have fit in my car with out him cutting it!

One question, the very nice kind sweet plumber told me I should use PVC glue, but you'd said you hadn't used any--which I prefer b/c it comes apart and is easier to store...Thought I'd double check to see if you (anyone else's) had come apart with out the glue?

Onto the sewing!!

Thanks for the great idea and helpful instructions!

tam

thewump wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.com/gnoshmepics/VanagonProjects#

In a nutshell:

1.25 inch Schedule 40 pipe
2x 50 inch sides
2x 24 inch ends
Corners made out of Ts with one leg cut off, and a slice for the strap to go through
Corners attached to long sides with screws to allow canvas removal for laundry
Routing of straps done so weight on hammock holds end pieces in place
Hang heigth 13 inches.
Hanger "ends" are 3/4 inch pipe with slits cut in them for the straps - then a knot inside.

Cost $25.
Time taken 3 hours.
Time it would take me again 90 minutes assuming the sewing machine is in a good mood.

Best

K

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's done. Pictures will have to wait.

I'm going to point out two obvious with hindsight things. Another textiles teacher and I were discussing how I should finish the corners. I serged them (machine that edge finishes), but figured they should have seam bias on them also (thin strip of fabric cut along the cross grain that wraps the fabric). Neither of us like using seam bias and since no one here used it, we were debating the strength of the fabric...when she opted to pull on it to determine it's strength and you guessed it, it ripped! ROFL So, don't pull on it! LOL I added an iron on patch, there and to all four corners and then doubled up on the fabric along the length. Unlike everyone else, I didn't use Canvas. I used a piece of old denim I had laying around...

And, since I didn't have any 3/4" PVC around, I used a scrap of the 1.25" and processed the fact that it meant it wouldn't fit through to slide it out. Did I process the fact that it would mean I then couldn't take it apart? NOOoooooo, I did not. So, since we're leaving for camp after work, I put the entire thing together, beside the bikes, which are beside the fridge b/c I've got to pick up my bike rack on the way! LOL

Two questions, what did you do with the rest of the 3/4" PVC tube?

Why is 1 1/25", actually 1.5" in diameter?

Wonder if I could have used 1" PVC, this is just so biggggggg?

And, finally, remember that person that made a bed right on the seats?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...p;start=20 Why doesn't that board flip forwards w/ nothing under it. AND, why couldn't I make a SECOND cot, the same way, with longer straps and make it a double decker one? One kid on the top bunk and one on the bottom? My dh rolled his eyes at me when I suggested it. Rolling Eyes But, you should have seen his face when I put my cot in the Vanagon and it worked. Shocked Was completely impressed that someone came up with the idea in the first place! So, thanks for dh. I was going to make my 4yo sleep on his Dora bed, on the floor and we were all going to trip over him! LOL

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
Curtis.Allison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Another type of frame for the child's cot... Reply with quote

I loved the OP's design. That ingenuity was so inspirational. I didn't want to use 1 1/4" PVC piping for the frame of the child's cot. I went to Home Depot, bought two 10 foot sections of 3/4" EMT steel piping (used by electricians for residential/commercial work) and purchased 4 90 degree 3/4" elbows to create the frame. The elbows are 2.5 inches in length, and add 5 inches to each length and width of the frame. I cut the EMT 3/4" piping into 2 46 inch sections for the length, and 26 inches for the width. So my grand total is 51 inches length and 31 inches wide respectively. The 90 degree elbows use screws to clamp down on the EMT piping to hold it in place. I took the elbows, turned them upside down so the smooth side was exposed and the screws were face down (so no injuries to my little one while she rolls around) and drilled holes in them to run the poly rope up to the PVC piping which I cut into 4 inch length pieces. I made sure the rope has a hanging length of 13 inches from the door to the frame. I felt the PVC piping would be best used for the anchor points outside of the door as it will not damage my well-aged ivory paint. The cot material I used was a bottom layer of light duty canvas and a top layer of medium duty upholstery material that was multi shades of blue. This ensured that I could have a capacity of at least 150 lbs ( even though my 3 year old is no where close to that). The poly rope, at each of the four corners, has a combined test of 500 lbs, so I have no worries about dropping or load failure. To finish it all off, I have used a rattle can of light yellow rust-oleum pain/primer for the rails, elbows, and PVC so it looks a little less sterile. I'm no good with spray paint, but who cares, it's for my family and it makes me happy. The best part is, the elbows separate with the aid of a flat head screw driver, and the whole assembly can be wrapped up like a tent and stored between my mattress and rear passenger bench. I have a tintop with the ASE interior, so I don't have the benefit of overhead Westy storage. I am really indebted to the OP for his genius idea. I really liked to the kit I found online, but I just didn't have that kind of money. Using the EMT piping was more expensive, and I didn't skimp on the fabric, but I'm sure I've got durability here that will last for years. Thanks again!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: