Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karl's stash: Identification and/or value questions
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Karl's stash: Identification and/or value questions Reply with quote

Everett and his moderators have graciously given me permission to post for help in the area of identifying and placing values on parts.

It will take me some time to go through Dad's hoard but as I work through it, I could use some help from all of you. I will keep adding to this thread, as needed.

Please be aware that the subsequent posts are not classified ads, as that would be against the rules of the forum. (However, my offer still stands; if any of you need something for your buses, please send a PM and I will do my best to find what you need.)

Thanks in advance, for any and all suggestions and opinions...I can use the help and I do appreciate it.

Michelle

Last edited by Karl on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Cot poles Reply with quote

My first question: How much are a set of cot poles worth?

I'm asking specifically about the 3-sided type that extends and retracts like a curtain rod. But also, I will need to know the value of the black rod version too.

Michelle
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the galvanized ones that retract i've seen for up to $100, but i cant be sure what you have there.

the black poles for the early bay type , go could go for up to 30 without hinges.

but thats only if someone needs them i guess. and again, im just guessing about what you have there.

I'd advise trying to get a camera set up, then get pictures into an online album or something, otherwise theres going to be quite alot of guesswork.

good luck, im sure we will all be happy to help.

Kris
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Michelle,
Great idea and props to Everett for allowing this, hopefully everyone will respect this thread and keep it on topic.

I'd think a fair price for telescoping cot poles would be around $40-$50, the black ones will have to be measured exactly because they may be splitty poles, that could change the value a bit.

Anyone disagree?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Welcome Michelle,
Great idea and props to Everett for allowing this, hopefully everyone will respect this thread and keep it on topic.

I'd think a fair price for telescoping cot poles would be around $40-$50, the black ones will have to be measured exactly because they may be splitty poles, that could change the value a bit.

Anyone disagree?

thats a good point busdaddy, theres a big difference between what people are asking and whats fair - alot of the stuff in the classifieds seems a little unfair to me Razz
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes. That's exactly why I'm asking all of you. What is fair? I'm at a loss here and need help.

I know that Dad used to pick things up at wrecking yards and then charge a little extra to compensate for his time. The resulting prices were still well below value but everyone was happy. However, I don't have the inside scoop on what he paid, or how hard it was to find...so I'm asking you guys for help.

What would you pay? What would you consider to be a fair price if you needed the item. If three people say 100 and one says 40, then I could go with 60, for example.

Michelle
vw76westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that cot poles
that retract go for $60 on the high end
& $30 on the low end, $40-$50 is about fair

non retracting ploes are worth $50 high end/$20 low end
(for these only a purest will pay$40-$50)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a thought for you, whenever I have a part that I have no idea on the price, I search the classified here, and then take an average price or lower when I am really trying to move a part. I know this would be a lot of work what with all the parts your father had, but it might make it easier for you over the long haul.
Good luck! Very Happy
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some work involved in getting it all sorted out.

I suggest you inventory all the parts you have looking for part numbers on them if possible and create a list. Once you have a list, then post photos of the parts you cannot identify and we will help you. From there, browse the classifieds looking for "market prices". I think it will be a slow process if you ask for pricing on parts one-at-a-time. Best to post it in batches of 50 parts or so to get the most responses.

Regards,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think that asking for prices in this thread will result in the most reasonable and meaningful prices. Because the responses you get will probably be from both a sellers and buyers standpoint plus the Samba respect for Karl and what you are attempting to accomplish. Although it's going to take a lot of work and time.
Gathering prices from the classifieds is from a sellers standpoint only and doesn't really reflect if the items were sold and what they sold for. At least in a lot of cases. In some of the other cases the sellers have done a tremendous job in pricing their items, being reasonable, fair, and honest. For instance anything that Karl would have priced would have been a real fair bargan price on the low side without questioning. But then there are the other types of sellers. Are you aware of this Sticky? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=318096
I'm a complete total retard when it comes to buying and selling, but would there be any merit in some kind of auctions?
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree with desertbusman here, the classifieds can be posted by anybody for any amount, this thread will attempt to gain a general consensus on what a part is worth, i can see this thread helping more than just karl's daughter
in the long run.

for the telescoping cot poles i agree with 40-50
and the solid early bay ones i've never paid more than $20 for the 3 sets i have but i can see you getting $30 or so .
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
I'd think that asking for prices in this thread will result in the most reasonable and meaningful prices. Because the responses you get will probably be from both a sellers and buyers standpoint plus the Samba respect for Karl and what you are attempting to accomplish. Although it's going to take a lot of work and time.
Gathering prices from the classifieds is from a sellers standpoint only and doesn't really reflect if the items were sold and what they sold for. At least in a lot of cases. In some of the other cases the sellers have done a tremendous job in pricing their items, being reasonable, fair, and honest. For instance anything that Karl would have priced would have been a real fair bargan price on the low side without questioning. But then there are the other types of sellers. Are you aware of this Sticky? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=318096
I'm a complete total retard when it comes to buying and selling, but would there be any merit in some kind of auctions?

I agree with both what Desertbusman and theizzardking are saying, but also what Anchovy and myself have stated. Sure, prices for used parts are up to the seller, but the market will bear it out, one way or another.
That is the reason for my taking an average of what is listed, and then being flexible from there. Used parts are not an exact science, nor is there a book that gives you the manufacturers suggested price.
I have listed parts at an average range based on what sellers were listing on Samba at the time, and still put OBO, and guess what I, got not one offer. Other times, I have listed a part at what I thought was an extremely high price and I had a bidding war.
This market is fickle and our economy is effecting it much more now than in the past 10 years. I would hope that some of the VW crowd in OR can get together and help out Karl's daughter to get these parts organized and priced reasonably. I would help out if I was close by.
Lastly as can be seen just in this thread, there is a range of $30-$100 for the telescoping poles. None of us are selling these parts, but this is our take on them, and $70 is a wide range for a used part.
And lastly, I agree, an open auction may the best option if all the parts can be categorized and displayed. All and any of these methods are going to be a lot of work no matter what.
Last thought is, sell the whole lot of all the parts to the highest bidder. You may not get the most money out of it, but it would save in regards to time spent, which in my perspective can never have a $ price set to it.
Again, all best intentions stated here, and I wish you the best of luck in whatever path you take. Very Happy
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I paid $55 for the telescoping cot poles including shipping a few months ago.
(sold - but not forgotten)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your dad helped me out with a few parts I needed and they were priced well below what the market was. I am in his debt and we all know what a great person he was. As several have suggested, and in all fairness to you and his estate, make a list and take some photos if you can, then maybe Everett and some of the other regulars who knew him best can help you price them in a way that is fair to you. Do you have a digital camera?
dcdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am more than willing to pay fair market value plus a little extra for a fellow samba dude....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enjoispammy8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a feeling as this thread progresses, michelle is going to be recieving A LOT of emails Wink

that price does sound about right tho.

Desertbusman wrote:
Is there a message here? Enjoy Spammy Ate

EZ Gruv wrote:
Way to fuck up some little kids riding in the car next to you.

hazetguy wrote:
you need to be doing better drugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have such a thing as an old VW dealer wholesale and retail parts price list? Offhand I'd think Karl would be the only one that would have had one Very Happy . With inflation, new vs. used, and what ever, maybe a general correction factor could be applied to a lot of general run of the mill parts. As far as rarity value put on items that's a whole different mess. The poles for instance. They might be worth $20 or $200 on the market but If I needed them I'd design my own, get materials from home Depot and let others worry about having something original VW.
That does sound decent about a real small select group of the Sambas best folks just going down thru a parts or description list with photos and getting the job done.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
Does anyone have such a thing as an old VW dealer wholesale and retail parts price list? Offhand I'd think Karl would be the only one that would have had one Very Happy .

As far as I know, there are price guides, but I haven't seen one yet. Dad had given one to one of the local guys here, and he was supposed to show it to me. Wolfsberg, I think the name was, but I'm pretty sure it is going to list things as new or NOS, not used. I may be wrong though. So you're right, Dad would know. Wink

Someone above said it well, summing up my reasons behind starting this thread. Asking you all for price suggestions gives me a fair idea of what the market is willing to pay. A price guide might be handy but supply and demand doesn't work that way. It's all about the consumer, not what value someone arbitrarily puts on something. And I'd rather make things fair to you and make sure you all get what you need, than just stick a price tag on it and wait for some stranger to come along.

I'm totally with you guys on inventorying everything but as it is right now, there's way too much stock to tackle from that direction. And, to make things worse, I don't know what everything is...and that's a must if you're going to inventory it.

As far as dumping everything in a lot-sale, not possible. I doubt one person could afford to buy everything at once. Yes, there's THAT much stuff. In fact, before Dad died, someone had approached him with that offer. But then when we talked to him about it, he had changed his mind because he realized how much was there and what the cost would have to be.

I THINK I answered everyone...if I missed something, let me know. Smile

In the meantime, thanks so much for your price suggestions on the cot poles. You guys rock!

Michelle

Last edited by Karl on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: 66 split window Reply with quote

Okay, next question: How much is a 66 split window body worth? Before you answer, I'll talk about condition and why the person wants it.

This bus is the one that Dad used to use every day, and there's a picture of it on the forum here in a few places. He took it to VW events and the picture was taken at some event; him standing next to it, with a front end view. I'm sure a number of you have seen it in person, if not in pictures. Some years back, someone pulled out in front of him at an intersection, hit the driver's front corner, damaging that corner, bumper and the driver's side door.

Now, the person that wants this body, only wants it for external body parts, like the windows, tail light covers and so on. He made me an offer and plans on junking the body after he takes what he needs, and it's being sold with no paperwork, with full understanding that the body be junked for scrap metal.

Before he takes it, I plan on removing a bulk of the interior; the blue plaid, etc.

So, how much do you think I should charge for this broken bus? Any suggestions?
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 split window Reply with quote

Karl wrote:
Okay, next question: How much is a 66 split window body worth? Before you answer, I'll talk about condition and why the person wants it.

This bus is the one that Dad used to use every day, and there's a picture of it on the forum here in a few places. He took it to VW events and the picture was taken at some event; him standing next to it, with a front end view. I'm sure a number of you have seen it in person, if not in pictures. Some years back, someone pulled out in front of him at an intersection, hit the driver's front corner, damaging that corner, bumper and the driver's side door.

Now, the person that wants this body, only wants it for external body parts, like the windows, tail light covers and so on. He made me an offer and plans on junking the body after he takes what he needs, and it's being sold with no paperwork, with full understanding that the body be junked for scrap metal.

Before he takes it, I plan on removing a bulk of the interior; the blue plaid, etc.

So, how much do you think I should charge for this broken bus? Any suggestions?

wow... i don't even want to touch that one.....

got pics of the damage?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: